BBQ tips/recipes/etc.

chicken marinated in a ziploc bag covered in zesty italian dressing overnight .
pork marinated in a ziploc bag overnight in apple juice with some brown sugar mixed in .
use turbinaro sugar when cooking at high heat instead of brown sugar because brown burns at a lower temp .
brisket covered liberally with a dry rub and smothered with mustard over night and then slow cooked over a indirect fire in the grill [ or 225 degrees in the oven if you dont have a grill ] , cook to about 175-180 degrees internal then wrap in foil and let cool for about 30 min .

ribs i like my ribs cooked in dry rub for 3-3.5 hours at 225-275 over coals and then place the ribs on aluminum foil /sprayed with apple juice and smothered in butter wrapped up tight . cook the ribs in foil for another hour then remove the ribs and put a light coat of sauce on them and place back on the rack for 30 min to 1 hour , which is just long enough to carmelize the sauce and not burn it .

Last edited:
Killer BBQ Chicken

First you gotta cut you some gravy. This will look like this...

1 cup catsup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons water
2 crushed garlic cloves
Hot sauce (hit it with the wild thang!)

Taste it to make sure that its HOT and you didnt fuck up. Stir it up and cover it with wax paper. Microwave on high for 3 minutes. Done

Get some chicken breasts. Dip the chicken in the shit and throw it on a meduim grill for 10 minutes. Make sure you baste it a couple times while turning cuz this is where that Ass-Like taste comes from. And I mean <<< <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< THAT ASS <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I like to get whole wheat buns and make sandwiches out of the dam things. You should have some wood right now..... and not from that ass<<<<<<<<

When it comes to steak- fast cooking at high heat is best, sear each side and do-not poke with a fork it will release all of the juices=dry steak--touch center with finger if you are not sure if it is done enough. The opposite is true for pork and chicken sear to lock in juices but then a slow even cook is best. Do not put barbecue sauce on meat until it is almost done--most of the sauce is sugar and it will simply give a burnt taste if it is cooked too much. A dry rub is better before cooking then add sauce at the very last minute. A good steak does not need anything except some salt and pepper. Lamb tastes better rare--try using more mediterranian spices--oregano, garlic, lemon, sage--it tastes much better than mint. Acidic marinates will tenderize the meat, salty marinates will make the meat tougher--sugar marinates will tenderize but sugar tends to burn when cooking so unless you like a carbon taste add the sugary marinates at the end of the cooking process.--just some general rules--use a hot grill-charcoal is superior to gas, and the less you play with your meat the more tender it will be. I know that last sentence can be taken two ways so forgive my poor English, it is not my first language.

K here is one.
If you want the greatest damn steak in the world...than try this.

Take a sprout of some

-Fresh Thyme
-Fresh Rosmerry
-Garlic
-Olive Oil (comes later)
throw em in a cup and grush the garlic! Do not slice Crush it with the spices. Once you got the juice out of the garlic and everything all sticky then your good.

THrow some salt and pepper on your steak place it in a ziplock and throw in your spices you just made. At the end poor some Olive Oil in your ziplock... how much is up to you. I place about two table spoons on each side. Let out the air out of the ziplock and place that sucker in the fridge let it marinate for a day!

As huskyguy said do not poke/slice your meat. Do not over cook you want the juices and taste to stay on the steak where it belongs. ENJOY!
This combo is very freakin tasty and I can never get enough!.

As for chicken
This is probably the best spice I can think of. You can get it at some mediterranian stores but you most likely find it at a Bosnian/Serbian/Croatian/Yugoslavian store!
This spice is called VEGETA. Its Paprica/mixed with some sort of garlics can't remember but the stuff tastes freaking good! unlike anything you have tried before. Its my homeland stuff so i know what im talking about =) Give it a shot I bet you hever tasted some good ass chicken like that b4...just throw the regulars salt and some pepper than sprinkle the Vegeta over the chicken rub it in a little and grill it !yum yum!

BEST Ribs!

Put whatever your heart desires on them afterwards, but if you let the ribs soak in some beer (any beer will do) for two hours prior to cooking them the meat will literally fall off of the bone.

This is not 2nd hand knowledge. This is how my old school Chicago family cooks them every year at our 4th of July party. DELICIOUS!

I'm currently in Texas and have eaten at world famous bbq joints and NONE of the ribs even come close.

Pork Shoulder

pork shoulder

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

smoke a pork shoulder in a smoker at a low heat , depending on the size of the shoulder it will take from 5 hours on up , when the shoulder is almost done remove it from the the smoker and pull the pork into pieces just right for a bbq sandwich . put the meat in a crock pot with a little sauce/spices/marinade/etc. to taste and cook on low for another hour or 2 to soften the meat and finish the cooking process.

crockpot recipe .

add a bottle of italian dressing to a roast instead of water when you cook it in a crockpot .

slow smoked a boston butt at 225-250 degrees this weekend . it took about 5-6 hours even though i halved it . i marinated it for 2 days in apple juice and a 1/4 cup of dry rub 1st . let the meat stand at room temp while the fire i being prepared , this help the meat to cook more evenly in the middle since it isnt reefer cold when you start cooking . take the meat from the marinade and dry it slightly so that the rub will stick and apply it liberally to the outside . add hunks of hickory to the charcoal occasionally to get that hickory smoked flavor . use a meat thermometer to check when the center is done but when the meat gets to about 150-160 in the middle , wrap it in foil and spray it down with applejuice before putting the meat back on to finish cooking . this keeps the meat moist and tender . also everytime you check the meat spray it with a little applejuice to keep the outside moist .

Do you have a smoker?

If you cook on the BBQ, where do you buy wood chips? I want to try some smoked food on the BBQ

Easto said:
Do you have a smoker?

If you cook on the BBQ, where do you buy wood chips? I want to try some smoked food on the BBQ
i have a bbq grill that has a attached box on the side for smoking . if you build the fire in the grill your grilling steaks/burgers/dogs and if you build the fire in the side box the smoke flows oout into the grill area from the side box and across the meat to the chimney at the far end .
heres a link to the lowes page with my grill
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productList&Ne=7000&category=Charcoal Grills&N=0+5000686
its the chargriller super pro and the optional side box is also on the same page .
heres a link to the comapnys website with a pic of it all together .
http://www.chargriller.com/shop/grills/smokin-pro.html

my local walmart and lowes both carry wood in hickory/oak/mesquite/etc. , i start the fire with charcoal and add wood as i go for the smoke/flavor

Hawaiian BBQ Salmon

INGREDIENTS
1 can of unsweetened coconut milk
1 cup Lawrey's Hawaiian marinade (Alek says Caribeen Jerk marinade works too)
1-2 pounds of thick juicy salmon (thawed out)
Alek recommends adding:
2-3 chopped onions
2 packs mushrooms

DIRECTIONS
Mix coconut milk and marinade (marimilk) in a 9x13 baking dish.
Add optional onions and mushrooms
Add salmon let sit for 2 hours covered
Throw on grill (wrapped in tin foil- optional) and baste with marimilk
Open a cold bottle of beer or mix your favorite drink such as a
watermelon margarita and enjoy the hawaiian salmon!!!

i recently soaked some baby backs in pineapple sauce for 2 days followed by 1 day of dry rub before smoking them , they were TENDER and TASTY .

this is a solid thread, i'd hate to see it die.

Smokey Joel's Competition BBQ rub

Prep Time : 5 Mins

Yields about 1 cup

1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
1/4 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons celery salt
1 tablespoon dried lemon or orange peel ( optional)

Good for chicken, fish, kebobs, steaks, potatoes and corn.

K here is one.
If you want the greatest damn steak in the world...than try this.

Take a sprout of some

-Fresh Thyme
-Fresh Rosmerry
-Garlic
-Olive Oil (comes later)
throw em in a cup and grush the garlic! Do not slice Crush it with the spices. Once you got the juice out of the garlic and everything all sticky then your good.

THrow some salt and pepper on your steak place it in a ziplock and throw in your spices you just made. At the end poor some Olive Oil in your ziplock... how much is up to you. I place about two table spoons on each side. Let out the air out of the ziplock and place that sucker in the fridge let it marinate for a day!

As huskyguy said do not poke/slice your meat. Do not over cook you want the juices and taste to stay on the steak where it belongs. ENJOY!
This combo is very freakin tasty and I can never get enough!.

Just to add about juices when you steak is done if put it on a plate and tuck it in with a tinfoil blanket and let sit for 5 mins it will be extreamly juicy :) great marinate repps to you for this.

Back