bottle top filter brands?

Predator04

So I was shopping around for bottle top filters and can anyone recommend a good brand they prefer? Any input good or bad is great input in my book. Thanks guys. I'm looking at nalgene filters. Any input guys. Thanks

Best to use, highest quality, they seem the sturdiest imo - millipore stericups.

Budget, but have a sorta flimsy feel, thinner plastic, actually melted on me before - what mans

Nalgalene I find is the best for 500ml plus.

I mostly use millipore.

They all do the same thing though when it comes down to it.

Thanks for your opinion bro. After some more studying I chose the millipore. I'm sure they all do it in the end too. Thanks again.

Yes as james said, a glass media bottle I've filtered up to 15psi. The plastics crack at about 4 or 5psi in my experience. But if you're in no rush the plastic works fine, just have to have more paitience.

I did get the glass media bottle. I've heard the stories of the plastic cracking. So I can filter higher than 4 or 5 psi with the glass media bottle? Even though the top reservoir is plastic? Its good to get the helpful hints of the ones who have used this method before. Thanks for the info guys. :elephant:

I did get the glass media bottle. I've heard the stories of the plastic cracking. So I can filter higher than 4 or 5 psi with the glass media bottle? Even though the top reservoir is plastic? Its good to get the helpful hints of the ones who have used this method before. Thanks for the info guys. :elephant:

Yes the top res has no vacuum pressure on it so no worries about it cracking from that. Sounds like your good to go.

Thanks for the great info guys. That will make it go a lot faster I'm sure. My hands cramp up thinking about a syringe filter. Those are some work.

I will make note of the heating while in the process. I probably let it cool longer than I need to. So ill just double check it.

I just brewed my first batch through a 150ml Nalgene MF75 Bottle Top Filter with a 33mm neck ($7.50) into a 125ml Wheaton Standard Glass Media Bottle with a 33mm neck ($5.50). After filtration I capped the bottle of with a 33mm cap with attached silicone septa ($2.75). I used a Mityvac Vacuum Pump ($24.99)from harbour frieght to pump the oil through the filter.

I used Dtones Recipe for TestE
10g powder
17.5ml Ethyl Oleate (EO) ($27.50)
16ml Grapeseed Oil (GSO) (19.50)
1.5ml BA (3%) ($7.95)
7.5ml BB (15%) (9.95)

Everything went smooth as hell. I ordered 2 .22 whatman syringe filters $3.75) in case I had issues with the bottle top filter and pump. That was a big waste of $$$$. I drew the finished product from the media bottle and transferred it into sterile 10cc bottles ($1.50) with a vent needle.

So with my super limited experience I would recommend the Nalgene MF75 Bottle Top Filters. I ran 50ml through one at low pressure with my hand pump and didn't have any leak or cracking issues. It took 20 minutes or so and i had to push down on the plastic top to get the vacuum started. The oil drips down through the filter into the receiver bottle ~ looks like it's raining.

Shaq I opted for the millipore this time. I'm sure they are all up to some codes that are standard. So curious and anxious to use the bottletop. All I've used before were syringe filters. I have great luck w them. But my hands and my time is the kicker.

I've used millipore and nalgene and prefer millipore between the two. It seemed like it took twice the amount of time with the nalgene as I can filter about 500ml in just under an hour at 17psi oil being 120f with the millipore.

In the end they both do the same thing, i've just had better luck with millipore.

Shaq, where the hell are you getting your supplies? $27 for 17ml eo and $19 for 16ml gso? Thats insane.

Sorry those prices for were for the full amounts that I bought (100cc bottles) not the amount used in the recipe. I was trying to total up what I spent for the 5 10cc bottles to be made. It should have been:

17.5ml Ethyl Oleate (EO) ($5.50)
16ml Grapeseed Oil (GSO) ($4.00)
1.5ml BA (3%) ($.12))
7.5ml BB (15%) ($.75)

ChrisWho, I'd like to try the millipore. What size media bottle do they screw on to? It looks like 45mm from the site I've been getting my supplies from. I have 33mm medias bottles. I should have picked up a 45mm media bottle too.

After writing that I thought that may have been what you meant. All of the millipores are 45mm necks. Whatman Zap Caps are really good from what a friend has said and they work with a 33mm or 45mm neck using suction to create the seal.

Whatman Zap Caps are really good from what a friend has said and they work with a 33mm or 45mm neck using suction to create the seal.

Chris, you've just answered my question once again. I was baffled at how I was going to get the Zapcap to stay on the media jar, hence why I've only used the Nalgene Reds .22. Looks like I'll finally give these Zapcaps a go!

Back