Chest needs more size

bobistheman

My chest is really lacking and I was wondering what I could do to boost it up there. My stats are in my sig, shouldnt I be able to bench more from my other stats ? I do incline/flat/decline bench and the same with dumbell presses, and flys. I have been seeing decent gains in everything except my chest, can you guys help me out.

bobistheman said:
My chest is really lacking and I was wondering what I could do to boost it up there. My stats are in my sig, shouldnt I be able to bench more from my other stats ? I do incline/flat/decline bench and the same with dumbell presses, and flys. I have been seeing decent gains in everything except my chest, can you guys help me out.

whats a larger muscle group, legs or chest? back or chest?

youre probably overworking chest. drop the volume/number of excersises and youll most likely see a big difference.

I liked heavy flys, real heavy bent arms. I think some people just use to much shoulder and tri when they bench. I think it is just in some peoples mechanics. i am not talking about cute full range perfect looking flyes either.

i think i'm gonna agree with jcp2...i really have strong triceps that do alot of the work in my bench. I've started doing the flye with a bent arms...they don't look pretty but i really focus on squeezing my pecs together..and it's working thus far.

Aczech said:
i think i'm gonna agree with jcp2...i really have strong triceps that do alot of the work in my bench. I've started doing the flye with a bent arms...they don't look pretty but i really focus on squeezing my pecs together..and it's working thus far.

I'll trebble that, my rear delts do alot of the benching so now I use db flys for some much better targetting of the chest.

want an armour plated chest?
well first of all you should you know that bench press is definalty one of the most overrated exercises, its only good for blowing out your shoulders

if you want a bigger more defined chest power dips is the way to go

grap the end of each bar (make sure you get the angled bar) hunch your back forward and keep you legs straight down towards an angle under your face. dip as low as you can and back up (make sure you do not straighten you pick when lifting up keep it hunched the whole time

if you can do more than 15 reps easily add weight
go for 4-6 sets shoot for failure when repping and ONLY have about 30sec rest between sets

dips by far is one of the most underated exercise

get ready for some serious looking slabs on your chest

go hard

Last edited:
Ouch! Weighted dips wreaked a lot more havoc on my shoulders than benching.

I agree benching is overrated in terms of building a big chest, however it's a compound excercise that is supposed to build overall upper mass. Discluding would be a mistake in any program IMO. Along with Deads and Squats.

And Goku you put all that information in ur sig but you forgot ur weight! :)

i love weighted dips. i have a angles dip station in my room. it was the best 140 $ i ever spent. Ive been up to 90 pound dips after a some serious warming up. BUt your chest looks amazing with it then some incling dumbells and u have it all.

outlawtas2 said:
Ouch! Weighted dips wreaked a lot more havoc on my shoulders than benching.

I agree benching is overrated in terms of building a big chest, however it's a compound excercise that is supposed to build overall upper mass. Discluding would be a mistake in any program IMO. Along with Deads and Squats.

And Goku you put all that information in ur sig but you forgot ur weight! :)
i agree there dips are worse than benchin itself...shoulder wise its worse. It kills.....

Benching is overrated. Stick to dumbells where you can feel the muscle more. Start with incline db presses one workout and start with flat db presses the next. Mix it up....

The only benching I do is when I do presses to my neck. This allows the muscle to be in a stretched position as you contract. Excellent pumps!

Another variation is a dumbell fly/press - this also allows you to focus on feeling your chest muscles contracting. If you aren't sure how to do them, do a search - think of them as a doing a partial fly with the pressing movement at the end.

I stopped benching back in my early 20's and, at age 34, my chest is one of my best features...aside from my handsome mug ;-)

Gumbo

from a trainers point, i'd have you really work the tris first. to near exhaustion. then start in on the chest with db presses,flys, and pullovers. by exhausting the tris right off the bat, you will bring in the pec muscles and serratus to do the bulk of the work. without the tris to do alot of the work that workload is transferred to the pecs; alot of guys dont like to do this because you tend to have to lower the wieght that they are used to pushing. but all said this really builds a solid chest.

Back