Common Deceptive Supplement Tactics

My Custom Protein

Official Sponsor
Offering products by weight is a common deceptive tactic used by supplement companies. When a company offers a price by weight, this opens the door for them to add fillers and pointless ingredients to increase the weight and actually lower the protein content of the supplement. Lets look at BSN's Syntha-6 as an example, Pictured at bottom. The nutritional facts are also shown below.
Syntha-6 is one of the most popular protein supplements in the world, and I will show you how it is not only a poor supplement but how they use weight to deceptively sell a product full of fillers. The first thing you notice when you look is that is has 6g of fat per serving and 200 calories per serving. Not good for an ultra premium lean muscle protein powder. Now look at the serving size, 47.2g per serving. Now notice that there is 22g of protein per serving. Do some quick math and you can see that this supplement is less than 50% protein. You buy 5lbs of this and only half of it is usable product. Let's look in the ingredients and I see ingredients that are completely unnecessary and are used just as fillers to add weight. Sunflower powder, polydextrose, and MCT (Medium Chain Triglyceride) powder. MCT powder is just as it sounds, a fat powder. That is all it is. These are all fillers, so when you buy 2lbs, or 5lbs, you are only buying half that in useful product.

This is why I offer my products by number of servings per container. I have no fillers, and ensure I have a very clean, very pure, and a very high quality protein in my products. Although I print the weight, it is a better testament of how much product you are getting to go by amount of servings per container.

2.91 Lbs. Chocolate Cake Batter
Serving Size:1Rounded Scoop(47.2g)
Servings Per Container:About 28
Amount Per Serving
Calories 200
Calories From Fat 50
% Daily Value***8224;
Total Fat 6g 9%
Saturated Fat 2g 10%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 55mg 18%
Sodium 220mg 8%
Potassium 300mg 9%
Total Carbohydrates 15g 5%
Dietary Fiber 5g 20%
Sugar 2g
Protein 22g 44%
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 15%
Iron 7%
Phosphorus 15%
Magnesium 6%
***8224; Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Ingredients:
Protein Matrix Comprised Of (Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, Calcium Caseinate, Micellar Casein, Milk Protein Isolate, Egg Albumin, And Glutamine Peptides), Sunflower Powder (Sunflower Oil, Corn Syrup Solids, Sodium Caseinate, Mono- & Diglycerides, Dipotassium Phosphate, Tricalcium Phosphate, Soy Lecithin, And Tocopherols), Polydextrose, Cocoa Processed With Alkali, Natural & Artificial Flavors, MCT Powder (Medium Chain Triglycerides, Non-Fat Dry Milk, Disodium Phosphate, And Silicon Dioxide), Salt, Cellulose Gum, Lecithin, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose, Papain, And Bromelain.
Allergen Information:
Contains Milk, Egg, Wheat And Soy (Lecithin) Ingredients.
Allergen Warning:
Manufactured On Equipment Which Processes Products Containing Milk, Egg, Soybeans, Wheat, Shellfish, Fish Oil, Tree Nuts, And Peanut Flavor.

Back