Dangers of Steroids

jcp2

Community Veteran
This is copy and pasted from Massmuscleinc.com, it is a post by masswithclass, I just think you all should read, remember their are a lot of factors that go into something like this, but it seems kidney disease has been creeping up on some bodybuilders as of late.

Alot of you people know me, but for those who don't i'm a 2 time state middleweight Pa State champion in the NPC. I also took it to the next level 2 times competing at Nationals for the allmighty PRO card. I recently was diagnosed with Renal Kidney Failure, that means basically my kidney are shutting down. I need dialysis 3 times a week for 4 hours a session to stay alive. Kidney problems do not run in my family, nobody in my family has ever had a kidney related issue.
You have to realize there are consiquenses to your actions with AAS, do not think that you are invinsible.
I was recently prepping for the state championships, i figured this is my year for the overall state title Mr Pennsyvania and it was balls to the wall. About 6 weeks out i started throwing up every day sometimes 2 times a day, my ankles were holding water and my skin was turning very pale and i was so fatigued but i pushed on anyway thinking i was being a pussy. Finally it got so bad i could harly breathe and was truely afraid that something very serious was wrong. I went to the doctor for bloodwork, he sent it out stat the next thing i know he called me and wanted me in the hospital NOW. I went to intensive care where they gave me 4 units of blood and blood pressure meds, turns out my kidney's where shutting of and have been doing so for some time now. I went from prepping for a state title to having a doctor sitting in front of me telling me "you need a transplant". If i would have had bloodwork and payed attention to it i would more than likey not been in this grim position. Nobody talks about the bad side of steroids on these boards, so i just wanted you to know what you are getting into. I don't mean to lecture, i was asked to write this piece to make people realize there is a bad side about steroids that most people are in denial about.
Thank you for listening and hopefully i can help some of you from being in the same position as me some day.

I am a non drinker, non smoker, i have had a very strict diet since 1996 always lean. I have to say that i have also taken the ephedrine, caffeine, aspirin stack since 1991 nonstop, and nsaids for joint and muscle pain. Once again this is not in my genes and i am only 37. We all know anadrol, d-bol, Winstrol (winny), halo, and tren are harsh substances, but the quest for size blinds us to the negative aspects of these drugs. I'm not saying don't do them, that is a personal choice but at least be careful.

I never juiced like some of these people on the boards. Shit was hard to come by where i live so cycles were very basic with average doses. I never did 1 gram of test a week, d-bol would be 50mg a day tops, and anadrol would be 150 mg a day for a maximum of a week during a cycle. The thing is that i never really came off since 1996. Figured i'd never turn pro if i took time off.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
jcp2 said:
This is copy and pasted from Massmuscleinc.com, it is a post by masswithclass, I just think you all should read, remember their are a lot of factors that go into something like this, but it seems kidney disease has been creeping up on some bodybuilders as of late.

Alot of you people know me, but for those who don't i'm a 2 time state middleweight Pa State champion in the NPC. I also took it to the next level 2 times competing at Nationals for the allmighty PRO card. I recently was diagnosed with Renal Kidney Failure, that means basically my kidney are shutting down. I need dialysis 3 times a week for 4 hours a session to stay alive. Kidney problems do not run in my family, nobody in my family has ever had a kidney related issue.
You have to realize there are consiquenses to your actions with AAS, do not think that you are invinsible.
I was recently prepping for the state championships, i figured this is my year for the overall state title Mr Pennsyvania and it was balls to the wall. About 6 weeks out i started throwing up every day sometimes 2 times a day, my ankles were holding water and my skin was turning very pale and i was so fatigued but i pushed on anyway thinking i was being a pussy. Finally it got so bad i could harly breathe and was truely afraid that something very serious was wrong. I went to the doctor for bloodwork, he sent it out stat the next thing i know he called me and wanted me in the hospital NOW. I went to intensive care where they gave me 4 units of blood and blood pressure meds, turns out my kidney's where shutting of and have been doing so for some time now. I went from prepping for a state title to having a doctor sitting in front of me telling me "you need a transplant". If i would have had bloodwork and payed attention to it i would more than likey not been in this grim position. Nobody talks about the bad side of steroids on these boards, so i just wanted you to know what you are getting into. I don't mean to lecture, i was asked to write this piece to make people realize there is a bad side about steroids that most people are in denial about.
Thank you for listening and hopefully i can help some of you from being in the same position as me some day.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good read ....Don Long suffered the same consequences his once promising careern is now done......I do believe his no longer on dialisys

Man this won't happen to me, it only happens to other people!
J/K

GREAT read. Good thing to point out is there is a difference between using and abusing and sometime that line gets pretty thin

StoneColdNTO said:
Thanks for posting that.......

It really brings some things back into perspective.

perspective is exactly right..
i really think there should be a difference between those that legitamately have a shot to turn pro and your average gym guy looking for size/strength.

one thing . diueretics werent even mentioned , just juice . you HAVE to wonder what effect the use/misuse of diueretics for contest prep and photo shoots had on his kidneys .
the only pro bodybuilder to die on stage did so from diueretics not steroids .

DADAWG said:
one thing . diueretics werent even mentioned , just juice . you HAVE to wonder what effect the use/misuse of diueretics for contest prep and photo shoots had on his kidneys .
the only pro bodybuilder to die on stage did so from diueretics not steroids .

I don't think this is meant to dive into all the different things one could have taken. It is meant more as a warning. We descentitize the average person to gear use, although you sure do get an education on the boards, you definately get descentized. These things are drugs, with potentially harmful sides, but we sure dont talk about them like that most of the tim.e

I posted this a while back, and I will post it again.

This isn't just by chance guys.

Sonny Schmidt died at 46
> Scott Klein died at 30
> Ron Teufel died at 45
> Dan Duchaine died at 48
> Mohammed Benaziza died at 28
> Andreas Munzer died at 30
> Mike Mentzer died at 49
> Ray Mentzer died at 47
> Don Ross died at 55
> Dr. John Tristany died
> Don Peters died
> Ray Raridon died
> Arnold Schwarzenegger (heart problems)
> Don Long (kidney failure)
> Tom Prince (kidney failure)
> Flex Wheeler (kidney transplant)
> Ed Corney (stroke)
> Boyer Coe (heart)
> Danny Padilla (heart)
> Pete Grymkowski (heart)
> Lyle Alzado died at 42
> Curt Hennig died at 44
> Davey Boy Smith died at 39
> Louie "Spicolli" Mucciolo died at 27
> Ravishing Rick Rude died at 40
> Brian Pillman died at 35
> 62 Finnish power-lifters suspected of using steroids died at a rate five times higher than average.

I think moderation is the key, and there are no guarrantees even at that.

Be careful and stay healthy!

Flex it I[B said:
think moderation is the key, and there are no guarrantees even at that.

Be careful and stay healthy![/B]

Excellent Point!

It seems like going for a Pro card is just as dangerous as doing a cycle for some. Just look at what some people consider a decent cycle,I think it would knock a horse dead.I wonder what was hapened to some of the people that frequented the board at one time and have magicly dissapeared.You don't hear from them anymore at all. Makes you think does'nt it? Do they know something we don't know?

Wow, am I ever glad there are people with experience like that on the boards. We really owe them big for giving us the chance to learn from their mistakes.

Here's a comment, though, that pissed me off from the original thread on xtrememass:
litebluidlifter
Good luck and God speed on your recovery Mass....sorry you were dealt a bad hand but with your attitude you'll bounce back like a champ!
Dealt a bad hand? The dude fucked up, and he has the character to both admit it and to help others not make the same mistake.

fuck jcp, just reading ur post makes me feel real bad, you just opened my eyes...even though u pick on me sometimes, i guess you picked on me for a reason...after this cycle and i do my next im gunna get blood work done...hope you get better bro. peace

true , to the first post. the guy was prob eating alot of protein and not drinking enough water. protein is bad on the kidneys if you dont get enough water to flush it out. i think arnold had an existing heart problem. seriously the average person gets what 50g of protein a day. while a bodybuilder gets 300g of protein a day. just dont bash Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) saying your gonna die.

dannyripms said:
just dont bash Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) saying your gonna die.

It is always this, and it is always that, it can never be the steroids. God forbid, lol. I have never ever heard of a healthy individual having issues from too much protein, and i doubt it was a lack of water. The minute someone comes on these boards and says steroids can be dangerous people jump down their throat. The truth of the matter is, their are tons of dead bodybuilders and powerlifters, and their are no long term studies on steroids at mega doses. No one knows.

great post jcp. i recall last year when i got a letter from my doc. all i can remember seeing is renal failure. well it turned out that it wasnt as bad as i thought. my creatinine (sp) was higher than normal. i could be wrong but it was 2.6 and the avg was around 1. (something). i really dont remember. it was not as bad as i thought but its nothing to fuck around with. my bp, never got over 140/90 but he concluded after the ultrasound and urinalysis it was related to my bp being higher than normal (STEROIDS) and the excess protien that i was consuming. i was holding a shit load of water. my ankles and feet were swollen. i was eating, easily 5lbs of red meat ed and a shit load of protein powder.

whats funny is that im using 3 times as much gear and my kidneys have improved big time (creatinine still a higher than normal). i do eat less protein and im not holding as much water as before.

I am just trying to make people think about what they are doing. Blood work is important, and educating yourself is even more important. What you do to your body is up to you, but everything has its consequences. As for the creatinine, i have heard that it could be high from taking creatine, if you do. Not sure if it is true though.

ive heard the same thing about creatine. but im sure it wasnt creatine that caused my water retention. this info is definately something many dont wanna here, but its reality. it definately made me think and re-evaluate my goals.

Back