Do you snore a lot since taking up bodybuilding? Bodybuilding and Sleep Apnea

asianlifter808

Getting big is the cause of developing Sleep Apnea for me. It inturn has caused an increase in the production of red blood cells (the blood bank loves me!) and a higher blood pressure level - both of which sparked the investigation of me having sleep apnea. it took the doctors a couple of months to figure it out. First, thinking that my higher red blood count was genetic (went for a gene test). Second, had brain, heart, chest, kidney scans and even gland tests. All came out alright.

The extra weight and thicker neck (15.5" to 18") as a result of years of bodybuilding has caused OSA (Obstructive Sleep Apnea). I now require to be on a CPAP machine at nights (its basically a fish airpump made for humans, lol!). As I got bigger (gained 80lbs in the last 6 years (60lbs natural)) my snoring got louder too. Appearently it is a typical indication of developing OSA.

Interestingly the doctors were right, having been on a CPAP for two weeks now, I now get better workouts and pump! Plus I don't snore! So looks like I'll be on it as I still want to get bigger.

Its difficult to detect the severity unless you've gone for a sleep test. Mine came out to be 'Extremely Severe'! I'm wondering how many of us here have it as a result of bodybuilding.

According to the doctors, most bodybuilders develop OSA but not know it. They snore loudly, fall asleep relatively quickly, have difficulty waking up in the mornings and generally feel a little tired throughout the day despite having 7 hrs of sleep (guess Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) counters this but when off it think the tireness is due to low test). Extreme cases fall asleep at the computer desk or on the wheel.

So if you're having these symtoms or know that you have OSA, I'd be interested to hear your story.

Last edited:
i have to use a cpap machine when i go to sleep - i am close to 300 lbs at present and stop breathing alot during sleep-

sleep apnea is nothing to ignore -- because of the rapid drop in oxygen when you stop breathing , it can cause a stroke or heartattack-

house1 said:
i have to use a cpap machine when i go to sleep - i am close to 300 lbs at present and stop breathing alot during sleep-

sleep apnea is nothing to ignore -- because of the rapid drop in oxygen when you stop breathing , it can cause a stroke or heartattack-

Wow 300lbs! You're a huge guy! Wish I was even close to that big. Yeah, my sleep test showed that I stopped breathing several times. I have a reading of 63.50.

Which machine are you using? I'm on a basic GoodKnight 420G but was thinking of switching to ResMed S7 Elite. Its bigger though but I heard good things about it. I'm using the ResMed Mirage Activa mask with a bio-filter and its great!

Know any really cheap places/websites to buy the ResMed S7 Elite or Spirit?

Happy Holidays!

I could be wrong but I seem to remember reading about steroids sometimes causing sleep apnea.If I find the study I'll post it...

Ok,I checked PubMed and there are a bunch of studies that link testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) therapy to sleep apnea.The exact mechanism seems unclear but steroids might worsen it.
There are threads at CEM that discuss this also.

Snake_Plisken said:
I could be wrong but I seem to remember reading about steroids sometimes causing sleep apnea.If I find the study I'll post it...

Yes I'm VERY interested... hopefully you can find it. Thanks!

Snake_Plisken said:
Ok,I checked PubMed and there are a bunch of studies that link testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) therapy to sleep apnea.The exact mechanism seems unclear but steroids might worsen it.
There are threads at CEM that discuss this also.

Could you post the links? I'm sure there will be others who are interested too. Thanks again!

Found the PubMed study. It seems to talk about a different kind of steroid use - eg medications for sarcoid patients (ie asthma) but hey I'm no doctor so if anyone can translate this that would be great! This is the Abstract:

" Turner GA, Lower EE, Corser BC, Gunther KL, Baughman RP.

Department of Internal Medicine, University of Cincinnati, Ohio, USA.

BACKGROUND AND AIM OF WORK: Sleep apnea is reported to occur in 2-4% of the general population. Patients with sarcoidosis are at increased risk for sleep apnea, possibly due to factors such as steroid use, neurosarcoid, or upper airway obstruction. METHODS: In order to determine the prevalence and risk factors for sleep apnea in sarcoidosis patients, we studied 83 consecutive patients with sarcoidosis seen over a six-week time period. Patients were screened using the Epworth Sleepiness Scale questionnaire and the age, sex, race, weight, and medications were recorded. The presence of previously diagnosed sleep apnea, neurosarcoid, lupus pernio, and sinus disease were also noted. A control group of 91 patients seen in general pulmonary clinics were similarly screened. Patients with a positive sleep questionnaire were referred for sleep studies. RESULTS: A total of 14 sarcoid patients (17%) were found to have sleep apnea, which was significantly higher than our control group with 3/91 (3%, p < 0.001). The presence of lupus pernio was significantly more frequent in the sleep apnea group. Although 5/51 (10%) female sarcoid patients had sleep apnea, overall it was more frequent in male sarcoid patients. CONCLUSIONS: Sleep apnea was frequent in sarcoid patients and was associated with lupus pernio. "

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9186990&dopt=Abstract

Last edited:
I know for a fact as I've grown (gained 100 lbs in 5 years) I've begun to experience severe sleep apnea. I usually write it off as simply snoring. How dangerous is it to leave something like this untreated?

I'd see the doctor if I were you. I used to brush it off the same way as you. But its caught up with me. High blood pressure and high red blood cell count. The chance of a sudden heart failure is real. It will take me years to correct this as mine is pretty severe so its better you start sooner than later.

Besides, if you 're really honest about making good gains from your hours of lifting in the gym, you'll need complete recovery and that means you got to find a solution to this problem of sleep apnea. I'm looking forward to making some good gains as a result of getting better sleep now.

Here's a really useful site by the University of Maryland Medicine Dept - http://www.umm.edu/patiented/articles/how_serious_sleep_apnea_000065_5.htm

If you need more info as to how the sleep test is conducted or anything else I'll try to help out. Just go see your doctor soon. Because it is SERIOUS!

100lbs in 5 years is impressive. ... how much of it was natural and how much 'assisted' ? Whats your stats?

Last edited:
I just had a new procedure done for snoring - "pillar" inserts

I don't snore all the time, but when I do, I can't sleep with my girl and sometimes end up moving to a couch when I'm at her place (which is a lot). We are going to Hawaii January 12-20 and staying at a resort in a room where nobody can leave if I snore. According to the pamphlet I have, most patients begin to see a significant reduction in their snoring withijn 2-4 weeks and further improvement is common.

My friend has been able to sleep with his wife again, she says his snoring is 80% improved.

It is called the pillar procedure, and is very new. It was very simple. I was in and out of the doc's office in about half an hour.

He gave me some local anesthetic, and then implanted 3 toothpick like inserts into the soft palate in the roof of my mouth. It felt like I had a sore throat for about 24 hours.

The reason this helps is that most snoring is caused by vibration of the soft palate. These inserts, and the scar tissue that grows around them, "stiffen" the soft palate.

The catch is that I had to pay $1,200 out of pocket for this. The doc asked for $1,600 but accepted my offer of $1,200 although he said he would lose money. Apparently the manufacturer charges a lot for the materials, which are not reusable. They probably spent a lot to develop this procedure and get it approved and patented, so they set their own prices. I promised not to tell anyone about the discount and to spread the word. I guess I broke one of my promises but then you don't know who this doc is.

It could potentially be covered by insurance if the patient has sleep apnea and has undergone evaluation for it and probably also treatment with a CPAP device for sleep apnea. Not so in my situation.

For more information, you can visit www.restoremedical.com.

how would I know I have sleep apnea, I suffer from asthma also. I am 99.9% sure I dont have this but still want to know just in case.

Snoring

I have been waiting for a thread like this. Since my start of using Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) (this past year) my energy levels have dropped drastically thru the day. My wife now sleeps in another room cause she says my snoring has got drastically worse over the last 6 months and she says it still seems to be getting worse. On some nights I wake up and actually feel an obstruction in my throat when breathing thru my nose. I have been speculating it the Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) in some fashion since that's when I started snoring. I am thinking maybe I should talk to my doctor about it now, I think this is advising me on how serious it could be.

Bimmer said:
how would I know I have sleep apnea, I suffer from asthma also. I am 99.9% sure I dont have this but still want to know just in case.

Ah ... if you have asthma and you snore bad ... chances are you have sleep apnea. But only a sleep test will confirm it so go see your doctor soon. Nothing beats knowning the truth.

Trevdog said:
I just had a new procedure done for snoring - "pillar" inserts

I don't snore all the time, but when I do, I can't sleep with my girl and sometimes end up moving to a couch when I'm at her place (which is a lot). We are going to Hawaii January 12-20 and staying at a resort in a room where nobody can leave if I snore. According to the pamphlet I have, most patients begin to see a significant reduction in their snoring withijn 2-4 weeks and further improvement is common.

My friend has been able to sleep with his wife again, she says his snoring is 80% improved.

It is called the pillar procedure, and is very new. It was very simple. I was in and out of the doc's office in about half an hour.

He gave me some local anesthetic, and then implanted 3 toothpick like inserts into the soft palate in the roof of my mouth. It felt like I had a sore throat for about 24 hours.

The reason this helps is that most snoring is caused by vibration of the soft palate. These inserts, and the scar tissue that grows around them, "stiffen" the soft palate.

The catch is that I had to pay $1,200 out of pocket for this. The doc asked for $1,600 but accepted my offer of $1,200 although he said he would lose money. Apparently the manufacturer charges a lot for the materials, which are not reusable. They probably spent a lot to develop this procedure and get it approved and patented, so they set their own prices. I promised not to tell anyone about the discount and to spread the word. I guess I broke one of my promises but then you don't know who this doc is.

It could potentially be covered by insurance if the patient has sleep apnea and has undergone evaluation for it and probably also treatment with a CPAP device for sleep apnea. Not so in my situation.

For more information, you can visit www.restoremedical.com.

Very interesting!!!
I'll be sure to ask MY doctor about this pillar procedure. Will do a web search too and see if I can find out more about it. Thanks for sharing bro!

indy69camaro said:
I have been waiting for a thread like this. Since my start of using Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) (this past year) my energy levels have dropped drastically thru the day. My wife now sleeps in another room cause she says my snoring has got drastically worse over the last 6 months and she says it still seems to be getting worse. On some nights I wake up and actually feel an obstruction in my throat when breathing thru my nose. I have been speculating it the Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) in some fashion since that's when I started snoring. I am thinking maybe I should talk to my doctor about it now, I think this is advising me on how serious it could be.

Maybe now the moderators will bum me up to '2 star' status ... Hint, hint! lol!
They should give credit for quality material :)

Yes, you should see your doctor soon. You sound like you're having severe OSA. Whats your stats anyways?

Request for a sleep test. I had to wait 2 months to get an appointment for the test as it is an overnight thing. They monitor EVERYTHING! Movement, every level of sleep, video and audo record you and you'll have straps across you chest to monitor chest expansion, pulse monitoring, and even feet! Damn and I woke up with an erection... shit!

The coolest thing is that they can tell if you're dreaming. If you do have sleep apnea you'll be put on a CPAP machine, but you'll find that you're so well rested each night, no snoring and you'll make great muscle gains too at the gym. Heck! Just an overall improvement to your life really!

Last edited:
Back