Doc Wants To Put Me On TRT With HCG - Should I Do It?

stolpioni

Just found this forum and I'm really excited to be here. I beg you to please bare with me here as I explain what my problem is,
and advice me on what I should do in this situation. I would be forever grateful to you.

Here's what is happened:

From the age of 16-20 I did a shitload of drugs. My favorite was amphetamine (the d/l "putty", not Adderall), but I also did a lot of opiates,
MDMA as well as a daily smoking of cannabis.

I quit the drugs completely and 4 years have now passed by. These 4 years have been filled with GAD, Panic Attacks, Depression and OCD, sometimes Psychotic-like symptoms.

I am now on 50mg's of Zoloft and have been for the last 9 months.

Now to what is going on:

I followed every guide on how to "naturally increase testosterone levels" on the internet which basically means: Avoiding all xenoestrogens (using only
natural products etc), lifting heavy weights (lots of squats, deadlifts etc), eating a slight caloric surplus and getting lots and lots of sleep.

I do not drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes or do anything "bad" for my health. I supplement with multivitamins, Zinc, Vitamin D3 and so on...

My testosterone tests came back as follows:

Total Testosterone: 4.49 ng/mL ("Normal" range: 2.8 - 11.0) - Apparently normal range for my age is around 7.50
Free Testosterone: 8.39 ng/dL ("Normal" range: 9 - 30) - Apparently normal range for my age is around 20-25?

My doctor told me this was low and he wants to put me on TRT together with HCG injections to maintain my fertility. I am only 24 years old and I'm of course planning
on having kids in the future (maybe in 5-10 years).

Now my questions:

1. Am I doing the right thing by going on TRT in my situation? As I think you do as well, I want a great life and not an OK life. I want my testosterone levels to be HIGH!
I have tried every natural method out there (including natty test-boosters like Ape and Tongkat Ali, both of which made no difference).

2. Are there any other methods I should try first before going on TRT? Are there any stones left unturned? I have heard briefly about something called "HPTA restart",
is this something I should try?

3. What are the potential long term negative effects that could come from TRT and HCG? I have read that hcg MIGHT stop working after a few years, leaving me unable
to have kids. I am worried about this happening. If going on TRT and the HCG stops working, will I be phucked in this regard?

4. Do you have any other suggestions or tips for me? Any experiences to share?

I feel like my life is going in the drains and I have so much potential and big dreams. I want to see it happening. I can't do anything on Zoloft because it's making me into a Zombie.
But I can't go off it because I turn into a wreck. I'm in a Catch 22 here. Help a brother out.

Cheers,
Stolpioni

Last edited:
It's extremely important that you educate yourself on the finer details of TRT before jumping right in, especially at your age.

Check out the Basic TRT Overview sticky at the top of the thread list. It's a valuable source of information and will probably answer most of your questions.

Sorry to hear your story. But you have come to the right place for help. Given how young you are, I recommend trying an HPTA restart first if you have Secondary Hypogonadism. It won't work through if you are Primary. If the restart doesn't work then you could hop on TRT for the rest of your life.

What did your LH and FSH come in at? Did you check prolactin? How is your thyroid functioning? Sleep apnea?

Give this a read and then come back to this thread with your additional questions.

http://www.steroidology.com/forum/testosterone-replacement-therapy/662394-basic-trt-overview.html

Thanks guys I've read the TRT Overview thread and become a whole lot smarter.

Based on that information, here's what I'm going to do now:

1. I will do a new test including TT, LH, FSH, Prolactin, SHBG, E2 and the Thyroid Panel to check whether
I'm primary or secondary.

2. If I'm primary, I will tell my doctor to put me on TRT

3. If I'm secondary, I will try a "restart" using HCG or Clomid(?) and see if I can get my system working again.
If that fails, I'll go on TRT

Does this sound like the way to go?

1. I will do a new test including TT, LH, FSH, Prolactin, SHBG, E2 and the Thyroid Panel to check whether

3. If I'm secondary, I will try a "restart" using HCG or Clomid(?) and see if I can get my system working again.

Sounds like a good plan. Make sure you find a doctor with experience doing restarts if you go down that path. I like the say that TRT is a life saver if you need it, but it is better to not need it. Especially at your age.

Let us know how it goes and we can help guide you.

Sounds like a good plan. Make sure you find a doctor with experience doing restarts if you go down that path. I like the say that TRT is a life saver if you need it, but it is better to not need it. Especially at your age.

Let us know how it goes and we can help guide you.

Will do.

By the way, do you think the Zoloft could be the cause of low T? An endo I saw told me that the Zoloft might actually
be the reason my test levels are low.

Zoloft was shown to lower sex drive and cause ED. Lawyers ran a bunch of attacked ads on the makers of Zoloft because of this. So in theory Id assume it does lower T leves.

Will do.

By the way, do you think the Zoloft could be the cause of low T? An endo I saw told me that the Zoloft might actually
be the reason my test levels are low.

I think it would be a good idea to wean yourself off it. A better longterm solution is cognitive behavioral therapy.

100% agree. My doctor put me on it but I did group therapy and got into the gym and was off it in 2 months. Best of luck to you. There are days where I still struggle but everyone does. If you want any advise on that subject feel free to PM me

Looks like a great plan to me.

Thanks.

By the way, my bodyfat is 26.2%. Maybe that can play a part in this too.

But lets say that I start on TRT. Are there any possible negative effects except that I have to inject myself several times per week
for the rest of my life? I don't care about that, and I don't care about it costing money either. If there are no other negatives, then
I see no reason NOT to start on TRT. I see only benefits.

Benefits I'm hoping for are:

- More general "alpha-ness" (I always used to be the biggest, strongest and meanest kid in school...then when I hit 16-17 something happened)
- Deeper and more resonant voice (I have always hated my voice...it's weak and don't sound dominant at all - at most times)

Thanks.

By the way, my bodyfat is 26.2%. Maybe that can play a part in this too.

But lets say that I start on TRT. Are there any possible negative effects except that I have to inject myself several times per week
for the rest of my life? I don't care about that, and I don't care about it costing money either. If there are no other negatives, then
I see no reason NOT to start on TRT. I see only benefits.

Benefits I'm hoping for are:

- More general "alpha-ness" (I always used to be the biggest, strongest and meanest kid in school...then when I hit 16-17 something happened)
- Deeper and more resonant voice (I have always hated my voice...it's weak and don't sound dominant at all - at most times)

There is a very real risk of elevated BP, hematocrit, RBC, liver and lipid values, and a host of issues that can arise from elevated estradiol. Most of these are able to be managed effectively, but it can certainly be a process to do so.

Well said Megatron. I might add that reading Bruce Levine's Commonsense Rebellion was a catalyst for my healthier, happier life. If you are on an SSRI or other depression or ADHD meds then this book is a must read.

I think it would be a good idea to wean yourself off it. A better longterm solution is cognitive behavioral therapy.

Back