eliptical vs.treadmill

WannaJuice

hey guys i'm really tryin to slim down and was wondering if the eliptical will give me the same results as the tredmill or should i switch it up and do a little of both?

eliptical works great! i think its better than the treadmill b/c you can push it at your own pace making it easier (for me atleast) to work harder.

plus i think its great for the calves. i can tell the difference in my calves from a few monthes of high intensity eliptical work.

Nothing works like running, but since running is becoming more and more out of the picture these days, lol. I have always liked the elyptical. Much easier on the body.

when i use the treadmill I always use a full incline, and i train in intervals.

speed: 3.0
incline: Max (15.0 for most treads)
----3 minutes to warm-up/get my rythem.

speed: 7.5
incline: Max
----45 seconds-----

Speed 3.0
Incline: max
----60 seconds----

Speed: 8.5
---30 seconds---

incline: max
---60-90 seconds---

Speed Max
Incline Max
---30 seconds---

---2 minutes---

then i'll either repeat the sequence or i'll do a similar interval sequence on the elliptical.

ellipticals are a little different for intervals.

I find a good cruising level and RPM's.

Usually: level 5 at 75 RPM's

level 5 at 75 RPM's
---60 sec.

Level 10 (try to get a 100 rpm's, if i get 100 maintain that speed for the interval, then increase level on the next interval).
---30 seconds

Level 11 (try to get 100 rpm's, if reached increase level on next interval)
---30 seconds

Level 12 (try to get 100 rpm's)
---30 seconds

Level 12 (try to beat my last RPM # if i didn't get 100 rpm's)
---30 seconds

repeat go to a bike and do the same thing or cool down.

by reaching 100 rpms i mean... I hit 100 rpms and I am able to MAINTAIN it for most of the sprint.. if I get 100 rpm's 10 seconds in and then I drop to 95 rpms 3 seconds later and can't get it back up,, I stay at the same level.

my bike intervals are exactly the same as the elliptical... try to get 100 rpms,,, then move up a level.

BUT to answer the question,,, I like them the same,, i like to mix it up... i would go crazy if i only had 1 option. and yes, i love climbing stairs too...

PS.. and i never hold on when doing the treadmill..

getfitdoc said:
when i use the treadmill I always use a full incline, and i train in intervals.

incline: Max (15.0 for most treads)
----3 minutes to warm-up/get my rythem.

speed: 7.5
incline: Max
----45 seconds-----

Speed 3.0
----60 seconds----

Speed: 8.5
---30 seconds---

---60-90 seconds---

Speed Max
Incline Max
---30 seconds---

---2 minutes---

then i'll either repeat the sequence or i'll do a similar interval sequence on the elliptical.

ellipticals are a little different for intervals.

I find a good cruising level and RPM's.

Usually: level 5 at 75 RPM's

level 5 at 75 RPM's
---60 sec.

Level 10 (try to get a 100 rpm's, if i get 100 maintain that speed for the interval, then increase level on the next interval).
---30 seconds

Level 11 (try to get 100 rpm's, if reached increase level on next interval)
---30 seconds

Level 12 (try to get 100 rpm's)
---30 seconds

Level 12 (try to beat my last RPM # if i didn't get 100 rpm's)
---30 seconds

repeat go to a bike and do the same thing or cool down.

by reaching 100 rpms i mean... I hit 100 rpms and I am able to MAINTAIN it for most of the sprint.. if I get 100 rpm's 10 seconds in and then I drop to 95 rpms 3 seconds later and can't get it back up,, I stay at the same level.

my bike intervals are exactly the same as the elliptical... try to get 100 rpms,,, then move up a level.

I like the idea behind this but having to constantly change speeds and incline levels take time

Who is Mike Jones? said:
I like the idea behind this but having to constantly change speeds and incline levels take time

ya, i count the time it takes to slow the treadmill down as rest. and i don't start counting my interval time until the treadmill speeds up.

i also hold on to the treadmill as the speed is slowing down (during my rest time) once the speed regulates (finishes slowing down) i let go.

it's more exact with an elliptical or bike...

Easto said:
Give the stepmill a try :D

i was having this discussion with another trainer today actually and he suggested doing steps. ill burn 700-1000 cals on the eliptical and not feel shit or feel like im losing weight....my theory is to switch it up....not so much as to be most effective, but so you wont get bored and will be able to keep it up longer....which might add to effectiveness lol.

evansss said:
i was having this discussion with another trainer today actually and he suggested doing steps. ill burn 700-1000 cals on the eliptical and not feel shit or feel like im losing weight....my theory is to switch it up....not so much as to be most effective, but so you wont get bored and will be able to keep it up longer....which might add to effectiveness lol.

good thought . . . i'm supposedly burning 700 calories in 35 minutes on level 11 on the elliptical . . steps really can kick some ass

you guys use the machines estimate of how many cal's you burn, or do you use a heart rate monitor?

i've always used the HR monitor. Keeps me honest about how hard im working. plus its more accurate in your calories burned.

Back