Gynecomastia: Getting insurance to cover it

xelnaga

Today is my 26th birthday. Maybe one of the best birthday ever. I had a successful gynecomastia removal surgery last Thursday; completely covered by my insurance. I am new to the forum today and figured this might be a good first post.

I can give you a quick run down of my stats and how I pulled it off. I am 5'11 180 about 8-10 percent body fat. I have had gyno since I was 14; but it was aggravated due to some experimentation with AS in my late teens. My chest looked "normal", but my nipples were puffy enough to see that I had an issue.

I was laid off from my long term job at the beginning of this summer so I had a lot of free time. Thats when I started seriously researching the idea of getting my insurance company to cover the surgery. The insurance company will not help you push all the required buttons to get their atm machine to pump out 6grand; so you really have to do homework. I looked into all the details of my insurance company's policy of gyno treatment and used that as a blueprint. Here's what I had to put together.

1. Letter from primary care psy. stating that I was in pain from the condition.
2. Letter from primary care psy. stating that my blood work was normal; that includes hormones
3. ultrasound confirming that hard tissue is present
4. letter from surgeon confirming the condition, pain, and need for surgery

After these are all obtained the surgeon mailed it in to my insurance company. I had approval the day they received it.

The surgeon removed both masses as well as any fat. Im happy as a clam now :)

Anyway- I look forward to learning and contributing to the forum. If anyway wants to know any details let me know.

Last edited:
Tried with my insurance company to see if I could get my pubertal gyno taking care of, but in my case it was a no-go because I am on TRT.

I would need to stop taking test for at least a year to prove to them that the test is not the cause of the gyno, even though I have medical records showing diagnoses over 20 years ago!

That's great. Insurance will do anything they can to not pay. I'm suprised they didn't pull the "pre existing condition" crap. Good work.

Back