IM Injections

DrJMW

Community Veteran, Fitness Consultant
Here is a nice, simple article on IM Injections.

Injection Procedure

Injecting oil based steroids (deca durabolin, masteron, primobolan, sustanon, testosterone enanthate and cypionate) is done with intramuscular needle (1 inch long, 23 gauge). Loading of the steroid should be done using a seperate bigger needle of 18-20 gauge.

What to look for before injecting:

Expiration dates
Check the expiration dates of every product

Product
Make sure that the vial or ampoule contains the right drug in the right strength

Sterilize
During the whole preparation procedure, material should be kept sterile. Wash your hands before starting to prepare injection. Disinfect the skin over the injection site with alcohol.

Bubbles
Make sure that there are no air bubbles left in the syringe.

Sterilize again
Once the protective cover of the needle is removed extra care is needed. Do not touch anything with the unprotected needle. Once the injection has been given take care not to prick yourself or somebody else.

Waste
Make sure that contaminated waste is disposed of safely in a hazardous waste needle container you can buy at walgreens or any other pharmacy.

Materials needed
Vial with reguired liquid or solution, syringe of the appropriate size, needle of the right size on syringe (loading needle of 18-20 gauge, injection needle of 23 gauge), disinfectant, gauze, bandaid.

Step by step for vials
Wash your hands.
Disinfect the top of the vial with an alcohol cotton swab
Install the loading needle on the syringe
Use a syringe with a volume of twice the required amount of liguid or solution and the needle.
Suck up as much air as the amount of solution needed to aspirate.
Insert needle into (top of) vial and turn upside down.
Pump air into vial (creating pressure).
Aspirate (suck up) the required amount of solution and 0.1ml extra. Make sure the tip of the needle is below the fluid surface.
Pull the needle out of the vial.
Remove possible air from the syringe.
Clean up; dispose of waste safely; wash your hands
Injecting
Replace the loading needle (18-20 gauge) with the injection needle (23 gauge, 1 inch)
Uncover the area to be injected (lateral upper quadrant major gluteal muscle, lateral side of upper leg, deltoid muscle)
Disinfect the skin with alcohol
Relax the muscle
Insert the needle swiftly at an angle of 90 degrees
Aspirate briefly (pull back on the plunger); if blood apears withdraw needle. Replace it with a new one, if possible and start again from point 3
Inject slowly (less painful).
Withdraw needle swiftly.
Press alcohol soaked sterile cotton on the opening. Use a bandaid if needed.
Check yourself/patient's reaction and give additional reassurance, if necessary.
Clean up; dispose of waste safely; wash your hands
Three acceptable sites for intramuscular injections are shown below

Buttock
Lateral Surface of thigh
Deltoid region

Thanks for the kind words. Sometimes, it is the seemly minor things that are important. Other such things beside proper IM injections include blood testing, knowledge of the ancillaries, and recovery (if you have something to recover).

DrJMW,
Thanks for the input! What if you don't insert swiftly? I just have a problem sticking myself fast. If I hit a wrong spot I would rather hit it slow than fast.
Thank you

CRIMINAL INTENT said:
Hey Doc- what do you think about using meds that have expired?

Yes Doc, I was told that oily gear, if stored properly, can be used even after expiration date...what do you think?

Re speed of insertion:

Usually speed will decrease the discomfort; the slower the insertion, usually the more the discomfort.

Re expired meds:

My reasoning is the manufacturer, if he is honest, posts an expiration date so that the user avoids using weak or useless meds. Personally, I do not use expired meds. Obviously, many of you from experience have noticed sufficient potency from expired meds. If that is your observation, then I won't criticise it. It is up to the individual to make his or her own decisions.

Back