Le Banner’s long-awaited comeback in Korea!!

Muay Thai Guy

Written by K-1

photo01s.jpg

TOKYO, July 8th, 2004 -- At a press conference held today at a Tokyo Hotel, K-1 producer, Sadaharu Tanikawa announces the fight card for ARUZE K-1 WORLD GP 2004 in SEOUL.

The first quarterfinalists announced for the Asia Grand Prix were Japan's Akebono vs. China's Zhang Qing Jun. At the age of 19, young Zhang already has an impressive number of Sanda (Chinese-style fighting competition) titles. "First, I'm going to eat Akebono alive and then I'm going to bring K-1 to China. I'll knock him out with my special punch," said Zhang. According to Producer Tanikawa, Akebono feels it's his "job to bring the Asia GP Championship home."

The rest of the tournament card was then revealed. Next up on the card is Mongolian wrestler Sumiyabazar versus Japanese firecracker Shingo Koyasu. It will be raw power versus speed and technique in a fight that should make the fans happy. Following that will be a kick boxer battle with Japan's Tsuyoshi Nakasako up against Korea's Lee Myeon Ju. In the last quarterfinal, Korean ground fighter Denis Kang will take on Thai muay thai fighter Kaoklai Kaennorsing. Every one of these fighters is already a champion in their various disciplines, and now they must show they have what it takes to become the Asian Champion.

Because of injuries to his leg and lower back, Musashi will not be able to take part in the event's Superfight as originally planned. In a surprise announcement, powerhouse Jerome Le Banner will be replacing Musashi in what will be his long-awaited return to the K-1 ring. After Le Banner sustained a broken left arm, he was forced to take a break from battle, but now he'll be back on the front lines after 10 months away since last year's fight with Shaka Zulu. He'll be taking on Mexican-American Mariano. Since they both have aggressive styles, it will be an explosive confrontation. Though Le Banner still has a plate in his left arm, his doctor has said that "it would take an incredibly strong attack to cause any trouble." Le Banner himself seems rearing to go. "I don't care who I fight," he says. The fight is shaping up to be a conflict worthy of Le Banner's nickname "Battle Cyborg".

With the Remy Bonjasky vs. Aziz Khattou Superfight, the Peter Aerts vs. Glaube Feitosa Superfight, the Asia Grand Prix, AND Le Banner's return, K-1's first outing in Korea promises to be an amazing event that will rock the martial arts world!

Damn, this sounds like an awesome event. Thanks for another good update muy thai guy.

Back