Lee Haney

Great Champion.... for his day. He knew his days were numbered after the 1991 Olympia when Dorian ran him close. Great Body Builder.

I read that the reason Haney won all of his consecutive titles was that he didn't have great competition. Is there any truth to that?

Well when you think the retired at the age of 33.

I just think he had enough. You can only beat what's put in front of you. But with Dorian and Kevin coming on the scene, he knew his days were numbered. Bodybuilders were becoming bigger and better. I blame GH.

His back was bigger than Dorian's, a great champion.

Fatwad said:
I read that the reason Haney won all of his consecutive titles was that he didn't have great competition. Is there any truth to that?

That's a good point. His main competitors were Lee Labrada-had great symmetry, Rich Gaspari-not enough mass and not the best genetics, Vince Taylor-no back but came very close to beating haney, and Mike Christian-very soft legs, and Samir Bannout and Tom Platz in his early days. So you may be very right about this. There were basically no mass monsters besides him and he really wasn't that much of a mass monster compared to today's standards.

That was Lee's era. Like someone mentioned, you can only beat what's put in front of you, and Lee trounced them all. For his time, nobody could touch him, although I'd have to give Shawn Ray the uncrowned Olympia title (cant remember the year, but he looked phenominal and placed 3rd I think....he was robbed)

Back