Low Testosterone in Epileptic males.

Mycelium

I hope this thread pops up on Google and other men with Epilepsy find it and I can save them time searching the internet in frustration because they are growing breast, have sexual problems and or just feel down. The info posted after the links are my personal notes I submitted to the VA doctors to prove my case. Please read the links and choose what's relevant to your case. If you're an epileptic male with sexual problems your fight is gonna be hard (unlike your penis) and frustrating (like sore itchy nipples).

With real clinical information the doctor has to argue against the findings and not you. I submitted information from TRT clinics and was immediately blown off because "they are just trying to sell you steroids". You need to always keep the discussion on that track. They have to discredit these findings not simply tell you that they are the doctor and your testosterone is within normal ranges. I can't say I have won discussion with the VA endocrinology clinic but I have won it at every other clinic. Some were open to the information. Some got the sour face and just shut up because they couldn't argue with the Journal of Endocrinology and ncbi.nlm.gov.

Epilepsy, specifically temporal lobe epilepsy, lowers testosterone. I focused my research on temporal lobe epilepsy because that is what I have. I can't say all epileptic men have the same chance as temporal lobe but any type of seizures effecting it surly has a good chance.

Antiepileptic drug also lower testosterone. Some by causing your body to remove testosterone. Some by causing your testicles/leydig cells to not respond.

There is also proof testosterone replacement therapy helps with reducing seizures, sexual dysfunction, memory and cognition, and helps avoid health risk associated with high estrogen and low testosterone.

These are all clinical studies and articles that are written by doctors and referenced.

If you are an epileptic and have the problems I'm talking about have your endocrine levels checked and compare then to the age specific ranges I'm posting below. That was the information I wanted first so I'm gonna post that first.

These images save me time from typing.

View attachment 565012

Simon, D., Nahoul, K, and Charles M.A. (1996) Sex Hormones. Aging, Ethnicity and Insulin Sensative in Men: An Overview of the TELECOM study. In Vermeulen,A & Oddens, and B.J (Eds), Androgens and the Aging Male (pp 85-102)

View attachment 565013

Vermeulan, A. (1996). Declining Androgens with Age:An Overview. In Vermeulen A., & Oddens, & B.J. (Eds.), Androgens and the Aging Male (3-14)

Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 1999 22 (1):1-19
4,393 men in a study. 32-44 yrs old. Average testosterone was 679 ng/dL

You're free testosterone should be

TESTOSTERONE, FREE
Males (adult):
20 - <25 years: 5.25-20.7 ng/dL
25 - <30 years: 5.05-19.8 ng/dL
30 - <35 years: 4.85-19.0 ng/dL
35 - <40 years: 4.65-18.1 ng/dL
40 - <45 years: 4.46-17.1 ng/dL
45 - <50 years: 4.26-16.4 ng/dL
50 - <55 years: 4.06-15.6 ng/dL
55 - <60 years: 3.87-14.7 ng/dL
60 - <65 years: 3.67-13.9 ng/dL
65 - <70 years: 3.47-13.0 ng/dL
70 - <75 years: 3.28-12.2 ng/dL
75 - <80 years: 3.08-11.3 ng/dL
80 - <85 years: 2.88-10.5 ng/dL
85 - <90 years: 2.69-9.61 ng/dL
90 - <95 years: 2.49-8.76 ng/dL
95-100+ years: 2.29-7.91 ng/dL

mayomedicallaboratories.com/test-catalog/Clinical+and+Interpretive/83686

Those are the reference ranges I have. All the doctors I have talked to have the normal range of somewhere between about 200-1000 give or take a 100 on both ends. That is often between the ages of 20-80 roughly. Sometimes 19-75. The range is not age specific and I have had a hell of a time trying to explain that. The range covers about 50 years.

I'm going to start here with my references about temporal love epilepsy and the statistics for sexual dysfunction that includes limp dick, low or no interest in sex, loss of intense orgasm. Men with Epilepsy are less fertile to summarize it. We get married less as well from one of these articles.

Hormonal Aspects of Epilepsy

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2818554/#!po=14.0476

Testosterone supplementation can be effective for men with Epilepsy and sexual dysfunction. It may improve sexual function AND mood. It has even been shown to reduce seizures/raise the seizure threshold.

25% of men with Epilepsy had sexual dysfunction.

55% had at least 1 form. Erections problems, loss of interest, soft erections, decreased sensativity, weak orgasm, trouble achieving climax.

15% had erectile dysfunction.

15% orgasm dysfunction.

40% had a loss in sexual desire.

Reproductive Endocrine Disorders in Men with Partial Seizures of Temporal Lobe Origin.

archneur.jamanetwork.com/mobile/article.aspx?articleid=585201

Formerly Archives of Neurology

55% had diminished sexual interest or reduced potency.
40% had reproductive endocrine disorders with features of hypogonadotropic hypogonadism (5 people ), hyporolactinmia (2 people), or hypergonadotropic hypogonadism (2 people ).

40% (9 people) of the cases could not be attributed to anti-epileptic medications.

Epilepsy itself may cause it.

Low testosterone may "promote the development of epileptic discharges".

Will be back to finisb

Last edited:
Have you tried Cannabis to treat it? i know it stops seizures in many people and is a heck of alotsafer than the script drugs they give, i wonder if supplementing with that over months would actually bring t levels up. Seizures are VERY hard on the brain/body.
any info related to this just pm me or post.
Cheers!

I smoked cannabis for recreational and stress relief but I can't say it helped. The state I live in legalized CBD but didn't legalize ANY channels to get it. Can't grow it, male the oil or buy/sell it. The governor actually said to go to another state and get it. I was mind blown the governor said to become and interstate drug trafficker of a schedule 1 substance. Haha

I want to try it. When I have seizures a lot or go onto the epilepsy drugs I will go down hill physically.

My apologies, this can surely be openly discussed here, its DPR approved, sorry Juced_porkchop, my apologies.

Here are more references and notes on epilepsy and hormones/sexuality and reproduction issues.

Men with Epilepsy
Epilepsy Foundation of Eastern Pennsylvania

efepa.org/living-with-epilepsy/men-with-epilepsy/

40% of men with Epilepsy have low testosterone.
-From epilepsy itself.
-anti-epileptic medications
-seizures can alter hypothalimic-pituitarty-testicular-axis/HPTA.

Researchers noted improved energy, sexual desire and decreased seizure frequency with administration of testosterone therapy.

Sex Hormones and Epilepsy:No Longer just for Women.
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2238647/

Increased Sex hormone binding globulin /SHBG
Increase Estradiol /E2
Sexual dysfunction is associated with low androgen levels.
Testosterone decreases more rapidly in men with epilepsy.

Sex Hormones are altered in Patients with Chronic Temporal Lobe Epilepsy receiving AED
http:/onlinelibrary:wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1528-1157.1998.tb01307.x/full

Conclusion: The case patients had endocrine disorders, mainly concerning gonadotropic and gonadal functions in both sexes; the adrenal function, with lowered DHEA levels in both sexes; and lowered 17a-hydroxyprogesterone levels in men. SHBG levels were increased in patients taking anti-epileptic medications. (Carbamazepine specifically in this study)

Male Sexuality/Reproduction and AEDS
epilepsycom/nformation/professionals/about-epilepsy-seizures/hormones-and-epilepsy/male-sexualityreproduction

AEDS affect testosterone by at least 4 mechanisms

1) Inhibit Leydig cell testosterone synthesis.

2) Inducing the liver enzyme p-450 which catabolize/destroy both AEDs and testosterone leading to increased clearance of testosterone.

3) Inducing liver production of SHBG

4)Elevating E2. The ratio of free testosterone/E2 is lower in men with epilepsy with hypo sexuality. E2 stimulates SHBG production.

Treatment with 400-600mg of testosterone over 2-3 weeks.

(More frequent shots with lower doses is better than 400 mg every 2 weeks. I'll discuss that with references later.)

Sex, Men and Epilepsy.
epilepsy.org.uk/info/men

Written by Dr John Paul Leach, Neurologist

This is a good article to read. I only pulled my medications to show they effect hormones.

Testosterone modulation of seizure susceptibility is mediated by neurosteroids 3alpha-androstanediol and 17 beta - Estradiol
ncbi.nih.gov/pubmed/15489042 [B/]

Testosterone with pretreatment of Letrozole reduced seizures

I will be back to Addy references on TRT with big doses spaced out amd how it causes a roller coaster effect. One reference has doses of 850 mg of testosterone undecate every 10 weeks. It basically will give you a ten week variation of being on a steroid cycle to having low testosterone. Blood levels went from 800 ng/dL down to "just above 300 ng/dL". You will cover the entire "normal range" of testosterone for males between 20-80 in 10 weeks.

Back