MadLuke's kick in the pants

MadLuke

This is going to be my kick in the pants to get my fat ass moving.
**request**
If I don't post a log for every day, someone yell at me in PM. Thank you.

Im tired of being that big, dopey looking geek, so its time to change that. Having messed around in the gym over the past week i know i can comfortably use 25lb each hand for curls, shrugs and flys; 35-40lbs for rows; 45lbs on the shoulder press; 60lbs on the chest press; 120lb on the leg press; and 65lbs for deadlift. Dont have the equipment for squats yet, and the gym at my apt doesn't have a safe way to do them. Nor does it have a bench, but im getting one so, will update on that.

What i want to do each day is spend 1-2 hours in the gym after work, every day for the next year. After a year, i will decide where to go from there. *Also want to add a second workout after a while, just cardio, 1 hour every day before work. Time work workouts will likely be:
Main workout start at 0900-1100
*Second workout start around 2030-2130.

Diet: im fairly good in the kitchen, so i will post recipies elsewhere of what i make if asked, but my menu is going to consist of lots of brussles sprouts, yams, asparagus, chicken, eggs and various beef cuts(i can BBQ, sue me).

I work nights, so, i should be posting progress reports every day around 11-11:30.

Any comments or questions, PM me. I will also like PM various experienced members to pick their brains from time to time.

I'm going to recommend that you get a gym membership instead of trying to piece together a set of your own or using the often woefully inadequate gym at the apt office.

Not only will you be able to greatly expand your exercise repertoire, but having to travel to the location, in the witness of others, gives you ZERO excuses once you're there not to hit it hard. It takes about a month or so before you start craving the work instead of dreading it.

My .02c :)

I just might if you think it will make that big of an impact. The only thing holding me back is the really bad reputation of gyms in my area. Some are well stocked, but have a gang running it, others are cheap but have stuff missing. I did a little shopping around, not enough to know for certain if there is anything better. Will update if i find out more.

I just might if you think it will make that big of an impact. The only thing holding me back is the really bad reputation of gyms in my area. Some are well stocked, but have a gang running it, others are cheap but have stuff missing. I did a little shopping around, not enough to know for certain if there is anything better. Will update if i find out more.

For starting out, I'd hit up planet fitness. They have a bad reputation in the "fitness and elite" circles, but easily two-thirds of the guys I see say that they won't go there due to a lack of equipment, aren't able to use said equipment in the first place. (ex: complaining about 60lb dumbbells because they need 70's to curl - which is just pure silliness, as they're usually 145lb manlets)

Don't forget diet is going to be the biggest part of the equation too. If you're unsure about anything, I'd hit up that subforum as well. ;)

Just finished first workout. Wasn't much of one though. A coworker of mine was getting rid of a bunch of equipment, including a bench, 2*50lb, 2*25, 2*10, 6*5lb plates, plus 2*30lb freeweights. Workout started by moving them up 3 flights of stairs to my apt. Finished off with 40 min of arm curls @20lb(~200 reps each arm) and 15 min of shrugs with the 30s.

Got a long way to go......*takes first step*

Sometimes I hate weekends.....

Didn't start my workout until 11am, had errands to run, but managed to get a good 90 minutes in the gym. I made myself do another 200 arm curls at 20lb, then used the chest press at 45lbs for 5 sets of 5 reps, then 60lbs for 2 sets of 5, started a second but only got three reps in before failure, then did 3 sets of 10 reps of 30lbs for rows for each arm, and finally 20 min on the stationary bike doing cardio. Afterwards I crashed in bed until a little bit ago. Need to work on my scheduling for Saturdays, maybe shift errands to my days off.

Okay, this is killing me.

I understand you're starting out, but please do some more research into training programs and how rep/weight/set ranges dictate results. Doing ridiculous rep ranges with almost no weight is going to give you sore body parts sure; but only because of the fact that you created lactic acidosis by doing a monumental amount of anaerobic exercise. I strongly recommend finding a weight that you can complete 8-10 reps with for four sets. The last two reps should become a very real struggle, especially during the last two sets. This is a hypertrophic example, in which the goal is to build larger volume of muscle mass. (Size vs density/strength vs performance)

I commend you on creating an online journal so you can hold yourself accountable, but it really pains me to see someone do 200 reps with 20lbs for curls, as I know results will be quite lackluster. Seeing results is what will eventually drive you, and is often times what deters folks from continuing on with changing their bodies for the better. I hope you've looked into diet as well.

My .02c :)

I like JEFIT for tracking your workouts. It is a free app for your phone.

And focus on the basic compound lifts first. Bench Press, Squats, Deadlifts and the like. Then afterwards do the isolation exercises. And stop with the shrugs. They are a waste for you.

Well, thats exactly why I'm on here, for someone to set me on the right track.

<---- noob

Thank you, both of you, for the advice. I will write out everything and see what weights fit that range for me, and start fixing my sets/reps accordingly. I'll also probably make another 1000 mistakes, so, anytime someone notices one, by all means, let me know.

Well, thats exactly why I'm on here, for someone to set me on the right track.

<---- noob

Thank you, both of you, for the advice. I will write out everything and see what weights fit that range for me, and start fixing my sets/reps accordingly. I'll also probably make another 1000 mistakes, so, anytime someone notices one, by all means, let me know.

We all start somewhere brother, I would have killed to have this kind of resource 25 years ago! :) Just remember one very important thing: Consistency is what will give you what you're after. There will be days where you just flat-out don't want to continue (I know I do), but that's just failure in the making. Keeping at it, pushing yourself even when you don't want to continue, and knowing that every step you take is one closer to your goals will drive you.

Keep up the good work! :bigok:

I've downloaded JEFIT, and started the 3 months fat to fit program. Finished first workout and WOW, is it different than what i was doing.

Good advice Mega!!

What exercises/lifts did you do? How many sets/reps?

Edit: I just found that on jefit. Looks like way too many exercises and not enough of the big compound lifts like bench, DL, squat. You need to be building muscle mass, not doing aerobics

Last edited:
I just found one to lose weight, hmmm

How does the JEFIT Beginner Routine look? Do you see any others that fit what you recommend?

Barely managed to fit in a workout last night, had an incident at work(ugh), but I did monday from the JEFIT Beginner Routine.

Mega suggested I start a Ketogenic diet, so I started on saturday; chicken, vegetables and eggs, with a little bit of fruit(2 apples/day). Not sure if this is a common initial reaction, but I've become really dehydrated, drinking water like its air, especially after a workout. Did some googling, found this is a common thing, just slightly worried about the other mentioned side effects. Wont go into too many details, but I've noticed other things are different as well, and certain warning signs from the past have cropped up. Just wondering if anyone has any advice about controlling these symptoms without drugs.

I just put my own workout routines in JEFIT. I don't use the pre-made ones so I can't recommend one. You may want to consult with a coach or do some reading on different training programs.

I never felt dehydrated doing a Keto diet. You do lose water in the beginning, but that is since you are dripping glycogen levels in your muscles and Liver. That is the intent of a Ketogenic Diet -- get rid of the glycogen so that your body burns fat.

Keep drinking water.

What other side effects are you worried about that might be exacerbated on a Ketogenic Diet?

P.S. No fruit on a Keto diet! Way too many carbohydrates.

Barely managed to fit in a workout last night, had an incident at work(ugh), but I did monday from the JEFIT Beginner Routine.

Mega suggested I start a Ketogenic diet, so I started on saturday; chicken, vegetables and eggs, with a little bit of fruit(2 apples/day). Not sure if this is a common initial reaction, but I've become really dehydrated, drinking water like its air, especially after a workout. Did some googling, found this is a common thing, just slightly worried about the other mentioned side effects. Wont go into too many details, but I've noticed other things are different as well, and certain warning signs from the past have cropped up. Just wondering if anyone has any advice about controlling these symptoms without drugs.

I strongly suggest you head over to the Atkins site to learn more about how the ketogenic diet works. If you're referring to constipation, that's why the chief source of carbs you consume need be fibrous veggies.

Not constipation, the other end of the spectrum. Spending 15-20 min on the toilet a few times a day is starting to get noticed at work.

Im up to almost a gallon of water a day just trying to stay hydrated, whereas previously I'd be fine one 1 or 2 glasses a day. Always been a bit of a camel like that, even when doing something physical it takes a few hours to get thirsty. Only major issue here is the water where i work is bottled, but loaded with something that tastes like burnt rubber. Solved that issue with a large water bottle from home, but the sudden increase has me a bit worried. I'm not peeing more often, so its likely getting dammed up in my colon, if not going somewhere else.

On joining a gym:

With Black Friday coming up, and after reviewing what gyms there are, I've decided maybe getting my own setup is best. It would likely be cheaper in the long run too, with deals on Black Friday, i can get a bench and weights for around 90$, and all plates are 25% off. If i spend ~300$, i can get almost everything I'd need.

Compared to the few good gym memberships i found, 300$ would get me a year at the cheaper one, less than half that at some of the others. I could go with a Golds gym i found, but the rusted out car on cinder blocks in its parking lot is fairly telling.

Will probably move in a few years, can look again then.

Not constipation, the other end of the spectrum. Spending 15-20 min on the toilet a few times a day is starting to get noticed at work.

Im up to almost a gallon of water a day just trying to stay hydrated, whereas previously I'd be fine one 1 or 2 glasses a day. Always been a bit of a camel like that, even when doing something physical it takes a few hours to get thirsty. Only major issue here is the water where i work is bottled, but loaded with something that tastes like burnt rubber. Solved that issue with a large water bottle from home, but the sudden increase has me a bit worried. I'm not peeing more often, so its likely getting dammed up in my colon, if not going somewhere else.

If you are drinking a gallon of water a day and you are not urinating or sweating it out, there is something wrong. Have you sought medical attention? Have you gotten blood work to check your kidneys?

Guys on Keto Diets usually do not experience diarrhea. That is unusual. For one thing, you should be eating a lot fewer calories which means there is much less volume to poop out. Can you list what foods and quantities you ate the last two days? And are you taking any medications or supplements?

Back