Marty-ball is dead...again...

lavee383

Sir Ngr to you.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2763552

Chargers head coach Schottenheimer fired

Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer was fired Monday night in a shocking move by team president Dean Spanos, who cited a "dysfunctional situation" between the coach and general manager A.J. Smith.

Less than a month after San Diego's NFL-best 14-2 season was wrecked in a playoff loss to New England, Spanos cited the exodus of both coordinators and other assistants in firing Schottenheimer, who had a year left on his contact.

"This decision was so hard because Marty has been both a friend and valued coach of our team," Spanos said in a statement. "But my first obligation is always to do what is in the best interest of our fans and the entire Charger organization. I must take whatever steps are necessary to deliver a Super Bowl trophy to San Diego. Events of the last month have now convinced me that it is not possible for our organization to function at a championship level under the current structure. On the contrary, and in the plainest possible language, we have a dysfunctional situation here. Today I am resolving that situation once and for all."

Mortensen reported that Spanos told Schottenheimer on Monday that it wasn't going to work between him and Smith. Mortensen also reported that Smith began calling Chargers players Monday night, telling them not to panic in the wake of the firing.

The San Diego Union-Tribune, citing unnamed sources, reported that Schottenheimer was fired after trying to interview his brother, Kurt, for the team's vacant defensive coordinator post. Spanos and Smith didn't approve of the move, but Schottenheimer reportedly insisted he had the right to hire his own staff.

The newspaper reported that tension had been building between Schottenheimer and the Chargers' front office after he allowed several of his coaches to interview elsewhere. The front office didn't approve of Schottenheimer's decision.

Spanos, known to be close friends with former Dallas Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson, and Smith said they plan to move quickly on hiring a replacement. Smith said he had a list of candidates but refused to divulge names.

When told the situation between Schottenheimer and Smith was described by Spanos as "dysfunctional," Schottenheimer said "that's a pretty accurate description."

his players executed like shit against NE and not getting along with the boss doesn't help things either

Who is available that is better than Marty. Sure he hasn't won the big game yet, but you have to remember what the chargers were before he got there. They were the lions. they were horrible. Marty has made them a top tier franchise. I think it was a mistake to get rid of him.

i agree he rebuilt the chargers into one hell of a team...but just like the chiefs...he could never and will never take a team to the 'Bowl...he's too damn timmid in the playoffs...

Back