Near death experience (PLEASE READ UP ON PROTEIN)

IRonBuilT

I have to say I thank god that I didn't die after what had happened to me these past few weeks.... Let me give you a little history real quick, I began using DC Training taking in 350g of protein a day with around 3500cal... My gains where GREAT I have to say I gained about 30lb (27-28 muscle) in a short 8 months, untill 1 day I almost died... I started having bad symptoms like being a little dizzy then one day I started throwing up 100 times and I went to get hospitalized, later that evening I was in a Coma for a long time its not just bad being in a coma but I also lost 17lb of my muscles in a short week... just 2 days ago I was released from the hospital and I have to really thank god that I came back alive without being a vegetable... Now this is what they found out that caused this problem.... Protein! When the doctors found out I was taking in 350g of Protein they thought I was crazy, but I was confused because I know plenty of people on this forum who take the same if not MUCH MORE than me. But what the reality is that not everyone is created equal.... some maybe lucky and able to take in that much and some people may not, sadly I found out the hard way. Now to go in a little details its not from a kidney failure or anything.... it was simple a Nitrogen imbalance that the Protein had created in my body... having a nitrogen imbalance I ended up having an ammonia level of 800 in my blood and brain... now if anyone knows about ammonia in the body you would surly know that 800 is life threatning and it was a miracle that im alive right now... Currently they are putting me on a 60-80g Protein diet for a loooong time and to tell you the truth im just too scared to ever go back at protein levels like that again. Here's what I also found out for weightlifters... you only really need 1.5-1.7g per KG to keep your nitrogen balanced and many many people say that this is plenty for your system and that anymore protein would be too much for the body to absorb... Thats also why I hit a level of 800 my body started to store more and more protein in my liver and other places and once it was all released it reached to 800. I felt that I just had to send this message out to someone because im sure there is someone else on here that might have the same problem and it might save this persons life in the near future!

Now I hope Dante or someone else who works with Dante and his DC Training program can PLEASE help me out and message me and really help me out with the DC workout plan, but having it modified for me to use only 1.5-1.7g per KG (im just shy of 180 after what happened so I would only take in 122-140g)
But right now I have to stay on a very strict 60-80gMAXX diet
I lost soo much muscle and all I want is to just gain it back and stay constint from there on... I was very happy with my size back then
But I cant complain... Im happy im alive!

Glad you came out alive and seemingly well.

If you don't mind my asking, what was your water intake like prior to being hospitalized?

You are certainly correct that we are not all created equal. I'm confident that you can grow with 60-80 grams of protein. Just make certain you have lots of calories. Maybe your gains won't be the same, but you can certainly make gains with 60-80 grams of protein/day.

thank you...it was atleast a gallon of water.... in some cases it would be less but that was the first thing checked in my system... They checked to see if my Kidney was shot, and it came out to show that it was a little dehydrated but that definitly didn't cause the ammonia.... Because they were telling me I was shaking violently and sweating soooooo much prior to my coma so saying that I could hve been well hydrated before the testing.... But if you want to you could say the ammonia level was 800 instead of 600 or something because of the slight dehydration of the kidney, thats not what the doctors think though.

Now when you said you were confident I could grow... I want to grow as fast as possible with only 80g a day but also stay as lean as possible... so you know of a perfect workout mixed with the right diet that may do the trick for me?

protein overdose thats a first. I keep my mouth shut when I hear people tellin other people to take in 400+ grams of pro a day. I mean Im luck it works for me but the normal body can not handle or is ment for that kind of intake especially if your under 250. Glad your ok man remeber your health means more than 19 inch arms and a pumped chest. I would stick with 1 gram pro per 1 gram body weight. I don't care what people say you will still make gains.

yea to tell you the truth they even say thats going a little over.... they suggest .77-.82g/lb to keep nitrogen balance so that would be sufficient enough. I just hope someday soon I will be able to hit 1g/lb but intill then its .44g/lb

IGETYOUBIG: I wouldnt be surprized if thats correct because that means in a 24 hour period you can take 240g which is ALOT But I was able to handle 350g for a while till I got unlucky

DIRKMONEYSHOT: I have an enzyme or 2 that are higher than average other than that its in great health, they said its a little higher because the liver stored extra protein which also turned into ammonia and bruned a small amount of my liver

Trust me when I tell you they check EVERY SINGLE THING in the body when your in a coma, not only that whats scary is that I was in a coma for days simply because they didnt know how to treat me for a very long time so they would def. check everything in my body and they also checked my testosteronoe... which if it was lower than usual it would have even been worse for me.

Last edited:
igetyoubig said:
i heard the human body cant even hold more than 40g's of protein with in a 4 hour period?...is this true??

Hold? I assure you it can "hold" it.

However, how much is used is dependent on the person. Ronnie can obviously USE more than an 11 year old girlscout. They is number magic number on how much can be absorbed in one sitting.

Glad you came out ok bro...

138g were from ON whey protein the rest came from natural food... They had my roomates and parents go through my apt and bring everything that I was taking and they came up with all these amino acids, diff whey protein brands, gaba, creatine... but they thought that maybe its some ingredients in the protein shakes that are hidden from the FCC that are doing this and they are testing it out... but I highly doubt thats the case I mean come on only 138g were from whey protein and everything else that they brought was stuff I used to be taking....

Last edited:
TRicKtOutT said:
Now when you said you were confident I could grow... I want to grow as fast as possible with only 80g a day but also stay as lean as possible... so you know of a perfect workout mixed with the right diet that may do the trick for me?
You need a surplus of calories to grow. More calories will result in more gains but also additional fat. Fewer calories will slow down gains but you will not gain any fat.

Refined sugars don't do you many favors if you wish to stay lean. Complex carbs are superior.

I am starting to think more and more that doctors dont know what the hell they are talking about. My mother in law went to the Hospital and they told her she had a blood clot. 3 months later she died of cancer. I would get a second opinion if I were you. The doctor probably didnt know what was wrong and blamed it on the protien. I mean give me a break, now protien kills!!!!!!!!

Swoleburn said:
I am starting to think more and more that doctors dont know what the hell they are talking about. My mother in law went to the Hospital and they told her she had a blood clot. 3 months later she died of cancer. I would get a second opinion if I were you. The doctor probably didnt know what was wrong and blamed it on the protien. I mean give me a break, now protien kills!!!!!!!!
im glad you said it first because i was thinking the same thing :)

if the doc is right, and the protein is the cause, then that is pretty damn scary as I use a whole lot more than 350g when bulking

Swoleburn said:
Those two are related if you didnt know, cancer and blood clots.

I was on 520g per day for probably about a month straight before dropping to 480 for an extended period of time. I haven't been to a hospital since a mandatory physical when I was, 12 or so.

My friends doc pulled him for blood pressure and liver problmes on 300 grams per day. I take 400 so who knows...He is all natty as well..

Well if the doctor is right then fuck it, I hope I die soon because there isnt shit in this world you can do without getting fucked up. Next thing we know Drinking clean water will kill you. Give me a fucking break already!!!!!!!! Thats why I am going to the doctor for my bloodtests but thats about it. Those guys are fucking morons 90% of the time

no listen high protein will not kill EVERYONE.... some bodies can't handle it or maybe they can but under certain amount of stresses it can cause a BIG problem like me... They 300% sure its protein, all they are finding out if it was the right combination of stresses with high protein that caused it or if I have a enzyme defect and I am still geting plenty of testing done from 3 other hospitals and once I find out I will let you all know what happened exactly in my case... This will take a few weeks though approx. 3 because genetic testings take a while

Back