please give opinion about my accutane situation

bluewizz

ok going on accutane soon (under dermo's supervision) and i was wondering what the real phsychological effects are when on this drug, if there is any. you see i have been diagnosed with depression, and i was put on effexor until i decided i dont want to depend on anti depressents for life, so i dropped it. with someone in my situation, should accutane be taken? do you believe accutane can cause depression based on your personal experience/knowledge? by the way, i have NOT told my doc about my past depresion diagnosis, because i did not want him to change his mind about perscribing me accutane.

It can cause depression so be careful...

Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2003 Feb;37(1):78-84. Related Articles, Links

The association between depression and isotretinoin use in acne.

Ng CH, Schweitzer I.

Department of Psychiatry, University of Melbourne, Australia. cng@unimelb.edu.au

OBJECTIVE: The association between isotretinoin and depression has received little attention in the psychiatric literature despite an increasing number of reports in medical journals. The purpose of this paper is to highlight this association, examine the possible link and review the clinical implications. METHOD: A critical review of the literature pertaining to depression in patients with acne who were treated with isotretinoin was conducted. RESULTS AND CONCLUSIONS: The causal relationship between isotretinoin therapy and depression has not been clearly established and needs further study. Isotretinoin is likely to have a positive psychological impact for the majority of patients who benefit from such a highly efficacious anti-acne treatment. However, it is important to recognize that depression can occur as an idiosyncratic side-effect that requires urgent and appropriate treatment. Therefore, having a low threshold for detection of this uncommon complication and early psychiatric referral to address both the depression and its contributing factors may prevent serious consequences.

-------------------------------------------

World J Biol Psychiatry. 2001 Jul;2(3):159-61. Related Articles, Links

Acne, isotretinoin treatment and acute depression.

Ng CH, Tam MM, Hook SJ.

Department of Psychiatry, University of Melbourne, Professorial Unit, Melbourne Clinic, 130 Church Street, Richmond, Victoria, Australia, 3121. ngc@svhm.org.au

The association between isotretinoin therapy and depressive symptoms in acne patients has generated much recent interest but has not been systematically explored. A 17-year-old man with acne vulgaris developed symptoms of acute depression two weeks after beginning isotretinoin therapy. The depressive symptoms improved with reduction of isotretnoin dose and treatment with sertraline. Of note, however, is that when the isotretinoin dose was again increased, the depressive symptoms recurred despite clearing of the skin, leading to an unsuccessful suicide attempt. Isotretinoin was finally discontinued and the depression rapidly resolved. Although the effects of hypervitaminosis A may be involved aetiologically, the predictive factors of drug-related depression remain unclear. Significant depressive symptoms that develop during the course of treatment need close monitoring and may necessitate both antidepressant therapy and discontinuation of the drug. Given the uncertain causal relationship between isotretinoin and depression, versus the potential psychological benefits of effective acne treatment, systematic studies exploring the impact of isotretinoin on mood are needed.

----------------------------------------------

J Am Acad Dermatol. 2001 Oct;45(4):515-9. Related Articles, Links

An analysis of reports of depression and suicide in patients treated with isotretinoin.

Wysowski DK, Pitts M, Beitz J.

Division of Drug Risk Evaluation I, Office of Post-Marketing Drug Risk Assessment, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, Food and Drug Administration, Rockville, MD 20857, USA. wysowski@cder.fda.gov

BACKGROUND: The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has received reports of depression and suicide in patients treated with isotretinoin. OBJECTIVE: Our purpose was to provide the number and describe the cases of depression and suicide reported to the FDA in US patients treated with isotretinoin and to consider the nature of a possible association between isotretinoin and depression. METHODS: An analysis was made of reports of depression, suicidal ideation, suicide attempt, and suicide in US isotretinoin users voluntarily submitted to the manufacturer and the FDA from 1982 to May 2000 and entered in the FDA's Adverse Event Reporting System database. RESULTS: From marketing of isotretinoin in 1982 to May 2000, the FDA received reports of 37 US patients treated with isotretinoin who committed suicide; 110 who were hospitalized for depression, suicidal ideation, or suicide attempt; and 284 with nonhospitalized depression, for a total of 431 patients. Factors suggesting a possible association between isotretinoin and depression include a temporal association between use of the drug and depression, positive dechallenges (often with psychiatric treatment), positive rechallenges, and possible biologic plausibility. Compared with all drugs in the FDA's Adverse Event Reporting System database to June 2000, isotretinoin ranked within the top 10 for number of reports of depression and suicide attempt. CONCLUSION: The FDA has received reports of depression, suicidal ideation, suicide attempt, and suicide in patients treated with isotretinoin. Additional studies are needed to determine whether isotretinoin causes depression and to identify susceptible persons. In the meantime, physicians are advised to inform patients prescribed isotretinoin (and parents, if appropriate) of the possibility of development or worsening of depression. They should advise patients (and parents) to immediately report mood swings and symptoms suggestive of depression such as sadness, crying, loss of appetite, unusual fatigue, withdrawal, and inability to concentrate so that patients can be promptly evaluated for appropriate treatment, including consideration of drug discontinuation and referral for psychiatric care.

---------------------------------------------

Arch Dermatol. 2000 Oct;136(10):1231-6. Related Articles, Links

Comment in:
Arch Dermatol. 2001 Aug;137(8):1102-3.

Isotretinoin use and risk of depression, psychotic symptoms, suicide, and attempted suicide.

Jick SS, Kremers HM, Vasilakis-Scaramozza C.

Boston Collaborative Drug Surveillance Program, 11 Muzzey St, Lexington, MA 02421, USA. sjick@bu.edu

BACKGROUND: It has been suggested that there is a causal association between isotretinoin therapy and the risk of depression, psychotic symptoms, suicide, and attempted suicide. OBJECTIVE: To further investigate the proposed association between isotretinoin therapy and the risk of depression, psychotic symptoms, suicide, and attempted suicide using a formal study design. DESIGN: Large population-based cohort studies. SETTING: The Canadian Saskatchewan Health Database and the United Kingdom General Practice Research Database. PATIENTS: Data were analyzed for 7195 isotretinoin users and 13,700 oral antibiotic users with acne from the Canadian Saskatchewan Health Database and for 340 isotretinoin users and 676 oral antibiotic users with acne from the United Kingdom General Practice Research Database. All subjects had computer-recorded histories of between 6 months and 5 years before, and at least 12 months after, their first isotretinoin or antibiotic prescription. OUTCOME MEASURE: Prevalence rates of neurotic and psychotic disorders, suicide, and attempted suicide were compared between isotretinoin and antibiotic users and within isotretinoin users as their own comparison (pretreatment vs posttreatment). The results were expressed as relative risks, calculated using multiple logistic regression analyses. RESULTS: Relative risk estimates, comparing isotretinoin use and oral antibiotic use with nonexposure to either drug for newly diagnosed depression or psychosis, were approximately 1.0 regardless of the data source. Similarly, relative risk estimates were all around 1.0 when comparing before with after isotretinoin use. The relative risk estimate for suicide and attempted suicide was 0.9 (95% confidence interval, 0.3-2.4) when comparing current isotretinoin exposure with nonexposure. CONCLUSION: This study provides no evidence that use of isotretinoin is associated with an increased risk for depression, suicide, or other psychiatric disorders.

I used it and this is my opinion.....

I really dont think accutane causes depression. chances are that if you are using accutane you have really bad acne. If you have bad acne, you are probably uncomfortabl in social situations, extremely self conscoius, and feel insecure with women and the way they percieve you. IMO, this is the cause of depression hile on accutane. And to make it worse, your skin will get worse at first. Then you will get white as hell, and look like casper. But dont freak out, your skin will be perfect when you are done. The longer you wait to use it, the more scarring will occur due to the acne. But i would make my parents aware of the situation if i were you. just tell them to keep an eye on you. Kep your head up, your skin will look good. It was hard while on it. I can help you out with dealing with the sides as well. Pm me if need be. I used it.

Back