Regaining Anabolic State after Muscle Atrophy?

Thoroughbred72

I have a question for anyone that knows a good bit about what happens to the body, on a cellular or molecular level when there is significant caloric deficit where muscle degradation and atrophy occurs. Let me explain my situation, and I will try to be as concise as possible.

About 8 months ago, I began having a great deal of psychological and emotional stress that involved my career. It became overwhelming and I couldn't sleep well, didn't have an appetitie, and therefore, didn't eat much (I might have had one to two meals a day, and if I had to guess, my calories were probably around 800-1500 a day). When I could get to the gym, my workouts had little to no intensity and I usually didn't finish the workout, due to thinking about my stressful situation. Therefore, over a six month period of time, I lost significant muscle mass, and was off cycle. Before this happened, I was busting out of shirts and sweaters that were size XL, but I can now fit easily into size Large shirts. I lost almost all my major muscles in terms of size, fullness, and shape. Strength went down considerably. I now look thin, and not the body builder I had been for years. During this time I quickly developed a large belly that looks like a basketball underneath my chest. If you looked at me, you would say that I had a dad bod, not a muscle bod like I did before. My energy levels plummeted, appetite was almost non existent, and I don't have the energy, unless I drink tons of energy drinks to give a great workout. I have noticed that the outer edges to my chest, continue to 'cave in' and the pectoral and back muscles (lat, middle of the back and traps) have atrophied the most. I would say that atropy and muscle degradation have occurred. I lost over 20 pounds of muscle (almost 25 pounds) in about 4-5 months, but not much fat.

I am now back on cycle and have been since the middle of December. By now, the test shouldve kicked in. I am currently taking two injections a week; first is 250 mg test (100mg cyp, 100mg enan, 50mg prop) along with 200 mg of nandrolone decanoate. After 3-4 days into the week, I take a supplemental of 100mg prop. This is all from compounding pharmacies, and it legally prescribed. I also take anastrozole throughout the week. HOWEVER, I am not experiencing any energy, muscle size and mass increase, strength increase, or muscle tone increase. Every three weeks, or so, I notice even more muscle loss in terms of size and mass. When I workout, and when I'm out of the gym, my muscles feel soft, and 'soggy.' My shirts and pants (this also goes for my quads and hamstrings, continue to get more baggy and loose fiting (size Large). I have no to little muscle tone (when I was on cycle before, the test would make my muscles tight all the time), NO muscle pumps during an intense weight workout, and it's hard for me to focus during my workouts.

Some would probably say that I need to focus on my diet by eating more calories, but I've already tried that. What happens is that the extra calories goes to my belly, love handles and ass. I would say that I have had a significant decrease in nitrogen retention, the cells of the muscles have shrunk considerably, metabolism decline, and who knows what eleseIGF-1 levels drop. I am looking for anyone that has experience or knowledge with this issue, when trying to rebuild their bodybuilding size after a prolonged period of stress/calorie deficit, etc, and what they need to do about getting back to the anabolic state when I can rebuild the muscle back. I know that this is all anecdotal evidence; I do not have any labs, nor can I afford any right now.

What do I need to do to get my body back to the muscle size and anabolic state it was in before? How can I change the cellular and molecullar changes that have occurred and get me back to where I once was?

That's not a lot test or DECA. DECA takes forever to kick in and test e ain't far behind. Eat, train, grow. The body and muscle memory is amazing. It will come , unless you have an underlying health issue

Our bodies are resilient. If you start training, eating and get enough rest, it will not be long before you start feeling better about yourself and your appearance.

I have been through hard times and I think many of the guys here have as well. I consider training the most important part of my life. It keeps me feeling good and healthy.

You come first because without your health you have nothing to give to anyone.

Good luck bro and stick with it. There is nothing selfish about taking care of yourself.

luckypaul, ....................................thanks for the encouragement. Sometimes, we might know what we have to do, but it sure does help lift the spirits when we are encouraged. So, thanks again, and to the others as well.

Honestly man , if ur feeling something is not he same as it used to be ... id say u should go for blood work first thing . See if there is something they can directly point out to you . From there , if everything is on point .... when u dont train for a while , takes time u start feeling that stamina , drive , agression , fullness , endurance in the muscles again . Give it time , train and eat well . rest well . But see if the Doc can tell u anything first . If there nothing there . Then just get motivated

I was a serious contender in powerlifting in my teens on into my 20's. I had a great deal of strength and was able to avoid getting the traditional "PL body type" most think of as I was always very active in sports or training for the civil service. I got hurt (multiple knee surgeries), wound up hooked on pain killers, fried my testes, lost 70% of my muscle mass, and put on around 40% body fat over a decade.

I can't think of a worse way to slowly degrade and watch that hard work fade away. Well, except for debilitating losses like amputation or paralysis - which I'm thankful for not having.

Anyway; my journey back to being what I once was has taken me several years after fixing the low testosterone problem, and many many cycles. Of course, there's a tremendous difference between just building dense mass (PL) versus larger mass (hypertrophy), but the investment and lifestyle changes were demanding to say the least.

I guess my point is that you just need to remain consistent, and not be afraid of ignoring the scale/mirror for awhile. If body fat is higher, and you can be patient, stick with maintenance calories and let the recomposition run its course. Your body WILL remember (muscle memory is actually about the neurons in your brain being able to connect easier), and you will return to your former glory.

FWIW, I had set a goal of being able to break my old PR for chest press (set at 22yo) of 465lbs. I literally had to hold back the tears when I put up 485 for 4 reps (I try to push for sets of 8-10) after eying that bar becoming easier and easier to move. It took me about five years of intense training, diet work, and totally relearning how my aging body responded differently than it used to.

My .02c :)

Thanks halfwit darkwing86........................................I guess I was expecting really fast comeback. I guess it's just going to take a little longer.

Back