Request advice on how to proceed - recent Labs

bonetired

Hello all,

I've been lurking on this board for about half a year now, gathering up what gems of information I can get my hands on. But I'm now at a kind of crossroads and want to see what you all have to say with your much larger breadth of knowledge! Here is my background (I apologize in advance for giving more info than you need, but context can be important.. and, maybe also because it's nice to vent when you don't want to talk to anyone else about this stuff):

32 year old male, 6'3", about 265 lbs, 28% body fat now. My "yoyoing" weight has been an issue all my life, as has energy levels and motivation. However, I've been working out regularly for going on 8 years. I was this same weight at the heaviest of my life back when I started (although 40% body fat). At first it took me about a year to get down under 200, then another few years to get down to my lowest at 170 (5% bodyfat according to Omtron at the time - I never used the calipers because I always had loose skin). That was about 4 years ago. At that point all of my friends said I was starting to look anorexic (I wasn't - I was on a keto diet and working out 2 hours a day 6 days a week - unemployed will do that for you), so I decided to start bulking up. Well, apparently my body REALLY likes bulking up because fast forward to now and I'm back to where I started, except traded a little bit of fat for muscle.

At this point, however, the weight management issues are only secondary to my complete lack of energy & motivation, coupled with a fairly constant mental fatigue ("fog") and higher anxiety & stress than I should have. I brought these issues up with my GP last year and she tested Vitamin D, Thyroid, and Testosterone. Thyroid was fine, but Vitamin D and T were critically low. Got on prescription for D, referred to Uro for T. Uro put me on Axiron gel - my T actually went LOWER and I felt even worse (I understand now it is likely because the test converted to estrogen while traversing through all my fat). He said to triple up on the dose and see him again in 6 months.

That 6 month meeting was last week and I was able to convince him to run labs on more than he wanted. I suspected Estrogen was high because I've always had symptoms: Emotional, sensitive, empathetic, weak jawline, lots of fat (see: moobs, but no hard spots luckily), lower sex drive, and mood swings. Those lab results are below. He does not believe there is an issue with my pituitary as my FSH and LH levels are low-normal. So he now wants to refer me to an Endo to figure out why things are as they are, but I think I could convince him to put me on injections as he is luckily pretty open to my input (he actually gave the 'I work for you' statement as many of you suggest).

Of note: I have an unhealthy and pathological fear of needles - always have, don't know why. I can't even watch my dogs get shots - the vet has to take them in the back room, or I will get woozy and sometimes feint. My parents told me when I was getting my shots for kindergarten it took three male orderlies to hold me down, and I had never had blood drawn in my life until just last year when this all started full swing. Yes, I understand it is irrational and all in my head, but that doesn't make it any easier to dispel :) At this point now, I think I am at the point where the burden of my issues will outweigh my irrational fear and I need to 'just do it'.

So, I guess I have three questions here:
  1. 1. Would you recommend not even messing with the Endo and instead just seeing if I can convince my Uro to prescribe injections? Or go with both to maybe try and figure out WHY this is happening?
  2. 2. Based on the labs below and my lifelong symptoms above, would you recommend an estrogen blocker? Or wait and see how my levels change after injections? If so, what kind and dosage? My uro had never even heard of them before I mentioned the possibility, but is open to the idea.
  3. 3. I am getting married in 2 months and we are concerned about the possibility of having kids (have none currently). How can I move forward while best ensuring my ability to procreate?
Without further ado, here are my lab results history:
9/2012
  • LH: 2.3
  • FSH: 3.9
  • Total T: 309.7
10/24/2012
  • Vitamin D: 13. D has been taken four times. 13 was first, then it went up to 30, then 43, and lastly it was 56 on 6/6. That is a lot better and middle of reference range, but still lowish and I plan to double up on my daily dose of 5,000IU.
  • Total T: 226.9 - this was after being on Axiron for a month - yep, lower!
12/2012
  • Total T: 550 - this was after being on a triple dose of Axiron for 3 months - but that was such a pain (hard to do three times a day, messy, afraid of getting it on fiance/pets, etc.) and I continued to feel even worse than before the treatment.
6/6/2013
  • Total Test: 176.9 (holy crap) - yes, I had discontinued the Axiron for about a month leading up to it, for the same reasons above at 550
  • Free Test: 49.8 (don't know the reference range - is this bad?)
  • Estrogen: 195! Reference range they gave me was 'should 130 or less' (holy crap)
  • Estradiol: 12.3
  • Progesterone: 0.39 (reference 0.20 - 1.40)
Thank you so much for those who may have read this far and I greatly appreciate any and all advice or input!

i had the same effect on axiron, test ended up lower. ugh.

trying out androgel 1.62, may just ditch it and go to injections.

Hello all,
[*]Total T: 226.9 - this was after being on Axiron for a month - yep, lower!
[/LIST]
12/2012
  • Total T: 550 - this was after being on a triple dose of Axiron for 3 months - but that was such a pain (hard to do three times a day, messy, afraid of getting it on fiance/pets, etc.) and I continued to feel even worse than before the treatment.

1.1. Would you recommend not even messing with the Endo and instead just seeing if I can convince my Uro to prescribe injections? Or go with both to maybe try and figure out WHY this is happening?
I would say stick with the Urologist and see if he will prescribe you injections...a good place to start would be 100mg a week. If you have a doc that's willing to listen, I would stick to him all the way...Trust me, they're not easy to find.
2.2. Based on the labs below and my lifelong symptoms above, would you recommend an estrogen blocker? Or wait and see how my levels change after injections? If so, what kind and dosage? My uro had never even heard of them before I mentioned the possibility, but is open to the idea.
Start the injections and follow E2 levels from there..I wouldn't start an Aromatase inhibitor (AI) until you have high E2 levels..Currently your E2 is fine. Total E is a little high but I think that's okay for now...
3.3. I am getting married in 2 months and we are concerned about the possibility of having kids (have none currently). How can I move forward while best ensuring my ability to procreate?
HCG--You will need to inform your urologist about prescribing you Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) along with the injections. The Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) will keep your sperm production up and running. Do some research on it and be well informed when it comes time to explain things to your doc.

Regarding your fear of needles...I would say to teach your wife how to administer the shots and just have her do them for you for now. I think you'll probably get used to it eventually and be willing to try it yourself down the road. Exposure therapy usually works pretty well.

You might consider getting some sperm frozen for just in case...might want a sperm test first.

Your estradiol looks too low and you would probably feel better if it's higher and it will get higher if you get back on TRT.

Pellets aren't too favored but for someone who dreads needles then it might be the best or if you have a friend in Europe who can get you some Nebido that would cut the injections down to quarterly after the first two shots.

Tiredguy, glad to hear I'm not alone in the crappy Axiron boat. I've also read about most people having the same result (though the "most" might just be a squeeky wheel phenomenon). I'll be interested to see what you end up going with.

Bigben, I appreciate the comments. I do see that E2 is lowish (i understand it should be in the mid to upper 20s), but wasn't aware the high E1 will not cause issues. My fiance's mother is a nurse and she is willing to administer the shots, so I'm just going to have to close my eyes and get it over with.

1693, I appreciate the advice also. It is good to have two people saying the same thing on the E2 - and I'm sure that will go up once I get back on testosterone replacement therapy (TRT), I'll just have to keep an eye on it. I can't even imagine the gauge of needle you would have to use for Nebido, but it sends a shiver up my spine even thinking about it. I would honestly rather do a backloaded small needle once a week (I think... at least theoretically) than a big huge one quarterly! Good idea on the sperm test - I will have to bring that up to my uro.

So it appears the consensus is:
  1. Continue with my Urologist and try to get on 100mg test c 1x week; potentially going down to E5D or even E3.5D as some suggest... assuming exposure therapy works and I can build up a tolerance for it. If not, look into pellets.
  2. Ignore the high E1 but watch E2.
  3. Get a sperm test and if all looks good there, add some hcg to maintain fertility (which would be another two freaking shots a week.. ugh.. I've heard some talk about hcg drops - are those frowned upon for some reason?).
It looks like the most commonly-recommended dose for hcg is 500iu twice a week, three days prior and again one day prior to test injection. It also looks like it will cause further aromatisation, which is a concern since I am so overweight - will just have to watch E2 all the more closely. Does anyone know if I must start and constantly use hcg with testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) if I want to have kids in the future, or can I start it later when we more concretely decide we want to conceive? In other words - we haven't decided 'Yes, we absolutely want a kid' yet.. I just don't want the option to be taken away.

Again, I appreciate the comments very much and will update as I move forward!

You might also consider trying novadex or clomid and an Aromatase inhibitor (AI) instead of test.

That therapy seems to get a guy's TT up but doesn't always relieve the low test symptoms but a guy is not possibly turning down his fertility by taking test.

Update: Tried to convince Uro to prescribe testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) without seeing Endo - no dice. Saw Endo yesterday... there for 3 hours (2 hour wait time, fun fun... gotta love drs) and after looking over past labs/notes, explaining, etc... told they would like to 'start over'. So, they ran more complete labs than I've had in the past (T, LH, FSH, CBC, DHEA-S, DHT, Cortisol, Progesterone, Thyroid - five vials of blood!) and scheduled a followup for three weeks. Had a couple of red flag moments when she saw that my test got to 550 at one point on the Axiron (at 9 pumps a day, I might add) and said 'Oh, well, that's usually what we shoot for!' Then another when they saw the Uro ran labs for E2 (at my request) and were confused and said 'I wonder why he ran this? We don't usually mess with estrogen for this stuff in males..' Since I dealt primarily with the assistant nurse prac. and not the Dr (he only came in briefly to look over what she had gathered and list out which labs to run), I am reserving judgement until the followup in 3 weeks.

I understand it's good to have more labs, but I just had some less than a month ago with all the information they should need. I hate this crap because I just feel like I'm being jerked around. It's been a year already and now they want to start over? I don't believe they grasp the concept that they are negatively impacting my life with dragging crap out. I really wish the board sponsor was covered under insurance so I could just get started on the road to feeling better!

Anyway, I just wanted to give an update and vent a little to people who likely understand my frustrations.

Have a fun and safe 4th!

THE-DET-OAK, I greatly appreciate your input. I haven't heard of methylation before, so will definitely start researching that issue. And just to make sure I didn't make my D score confusing in my OP as it was taken several times... the last time D was drawn (6/6/2013), it was at 56 in a reference range of 30-100. That is with taking 1 5,000IU softgel of Vitamin D3 each day, usually with breakfast. Is that still a methylation issue, or was it the original score of 13 from last year that alerted you?

Thank you!

Last edited:
time to jump on testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) and use Methylcobalamin with it. It is better than cynocobalamin because it has some methyl groups added. There are some other things you can do, but testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) will help get rid of the fat.

when i say testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) I mean ditch the gels, go for injects

Thank you again very much for the education! I will bring the methylation issue and it's associated medication to my dr's attention at the next meeting. The PA I met with yesterday seemed to be the type that is completely closed off to patient input (i.e. "I know what's right, how dare you take an interest in your health, you worm?!"), but I am hoping the actual Endocrinologist is not. We'll see in three weeks.

And I absolutely agree that injections are the way to go, and I'm prepared for them now (at least, I think I am). Unfortunately, now that I'm ready for injections, the damn doctors have taken the option away until they run more tests (and get more money from me & my insurance, of course)! Really wish I could have stayed with my Uro as he seemed open to patient input, but I guess it confused him that the gel didn't do anything for me. Oh well. At this point, I'm not on anything - stopped taking the gel two months ago because prescription ran out and Uro didn't reup since it made me feel worse.

Thanks again for the advice.

Back