Straps Vs. Chalk

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

evansss

GET BIG
Which one do you prefer. I've used straps so far, but just ordered a block of chalk since i dont want to hinder my grip anymore...

Last edited:
I still have to use straps on shrugs and on my last set or two of rack deads. Otherwise, I use chalk with an over/under grip.
I use and over/over until the bar starts rolling out of my fingers.

I do all of this to help strengthen my grip.

I used straps forever and I could deadlift over 400 but could only hold up to 315 for 1. I got rid of the straps and started using chalk and strangely enough the deadlift has gone up, and I can now hold over 500 for rack deads and well over 400 for floor deads. Also got some crazy new forearm muscles poppin out.

I use chaulk for deads and straps for back work once I get to a point where I cna't hold on. I NEVER use straps for deads.

02gixxersix said:
I used straps forever and I could deadlift over 400 but could only hold up to 315 for 1. I got rid of the straps and started using chalk and strangely enough the deadlift has gone up, and I can now hold over 500 for rack deads and well over 400 for floor deads. Also got some crazy new forearm muscles poppin out.

the weight was going up due to grip getting better...i used to find that it wasnt so much the weight as not being able to hold the bar when i did deads...

also, inzernet.com has blocks of chalk. i just ordered one from there.

the only lift ill ever use wraps on is clean movements, snatch, hang or power... everything else is barehand or chalk.. i cant believe the people who use wraps on bench press, pull downs, tricep pushdowns i mean it gets to be much.

you go overhand grip and wrap the wraps around the bar then tighten it and do cleans... i only use them because its a weird movement and im afraid of losing the bar. haha i know i wont but im just paranoid.

you dont just do 1rm on cleans...i do sets... and at 24 hour fitness they dont have the kilo rubber weights so no i place it on the ground after im done.so ill do a hang clean...drop it on my quads...another clean...back down... and by the end of the 3rd set i got some rasberrys on my quads from dropping the bar...best trap work you can do...FUCK SHRUGS!

same here, rookie. can't drop the bar or they'll go crazy..lol!

chalk would be my choice but haven't been able to buy some. straps are nice for pullups/hanging leg raise and that's about it.

chalk is ideal but many gyms frown on it or don't even allow it--so straps are an alternative when doing heavy weight--hooked gloves work well too for the heaviest set once your grip has been exhausted.

Back