Testosterone = More Muscle Fibers

DocJ

I'd like to thank guijr @ CEM for posting this...

Dose dependent test and satellite cell proliferation
Seems that 300 mg/week of test is the minimum dose for best muscle gains. A must read.
=============================

Sinha-Hikim I, Artaza J, Woodhouse L, Gonzalez-Cadavid N, Singh AB, Lee MI, Storer TW, Casaburi R, Shen R, Bhasin S. Testosterone-induced muscle hypertrophy is associated with an increase in satellite cell number in healthy, young men. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2003;285(1):E197-205.

ABSTRACT

Testosterone (T) supplementation in men induces muscle fiber hypertrophy. We hypothesized that T-induced increase in muscle fiber size is associated with a dose-dependent increase in satellite cell number. We quantitated satellite cell and myonuclear number by using direct counting and spatial orientation methods in biopsies of vastus lateralis obtained at baseline and after 20 wk of treatment with a gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist and a 125-, 300-, or 600-mg weekly dose of T enanthate. T administration was associated with a significant increase in myonuclear number in men receiving 300- and 600-mg doses. The posttreatment percent satellite cell number, obtained by direct counting, differed significantly among the three groups (ANCOVA P < 0.000001); the mean posttreatment values (5.0 and 15.0%) in men treated with 300- and 600-mg doses were greater than baseline (2.5 and 2.5%, respectively, P < 0.05 vs. baseline). The absolute satellite cell number measured by spatial orientation at 20 wk (1.5 and 4.0/mm) was significantly greater than baseline (0.3 and 0.6/mm) in men receiving the 300- and 600-mg doses (P < 0.05). The change in percent satellite cell number correlated with changes in total (r = 0.548) and free T concentrations (r = 0.468). Satellite cell and mitochondrial areas were significantly higher and the nuclear-to-cytoplasmic ratio lower after treatment with 300- and 600-mg doses. We conclude that T-induced muscle fiber hypertrophy is associated with an increase in satellite cell number, a proportionate increase in myonuclear number, and changes in satellite cell ultrastructure.

DocJ Comment: This might explain why the pros seem to always try to push the envelope in ever increasing doses of test rather than stacking multiple compounds to keep gaining size.

I always figured they pushed the testosterone envelope because it was the cheapest compound they could run at high doses. Considering that you could run a gram a week of test yearlong for about the same price as some people pay for a 6 week prohormone cycle, why would you bother running anything else if the results were practically the same?

All the pros I know don't fool around with multiple compounds except the last few weeks before a show. They take ever-increasing amounts of: test, insulin, hgh. I imagine that cost does have something to do with it, however, they all have come to the conclusion that high amounts of test is the only way to get to the "next level" in muscular development. This study shows that they may be not only making their existing muscle fibers bigger but also may be creating new muscle fibers as well by using a lot of test.

I always figured they pushed the testosterone envelope because it was the cheapest compound they could run at high doses
Not only the cheapest, but also the one with the least side-effects in mega-dosing. And arguably the most beneficial in megadoses, as illustrated by DocJ. I never heard of anyone runnong 2g of deca/week. I'm sure some do, but it is much rarer than 2g test/week.

Testosterone = More Muscle Fibers
So are you suggesting hyperplasia as opposed to hypertrophy?

Thoms said:
So are you suggesting hyperplasia as opposed to hypertrophy?
Yes, satellite cells have the potential to turn into new muscle cells, exciting stuff.

I always hear the big guys saying: "the magic starts at 2g/week" maybe there's something to it :)

I think the newbe's should be cautious reading this. Sure maybe the magic starts at 2g's a week but don't jump right in and try that.

How much different is prop compared to enanth?

I have a study somewhere the directly relates muscle mass gained with the higher dose of test (I think it was 250, 500 and 1000mg wk)

outlawtas2 said:
I have a study somewhere the directly relates muscle mass gained with the higher dose of test (I think it was 250, 500 and 1000mg wk)

I'd be interested in reading that.

Rasscal said:
I think the newbe's should be cautious reading this. Sure maybe the magic starts at 2g's a week but don't jump right in and try that.
Thanks for posting this...it's important to keep in mind that when I talk to these athletes who use these high amounts they have made a choice to be a pro BB, PL, elite athlete, etc. so they believe the potential rewards outweigh the potential risks (i.e. this is their "job"). For an average Joe who trains and cycles recreationally, high doses don't make a lot of sense from a health standpoint.

thats great news about test.. i just started test enan at 1000mg a week with 500mg of eq... and no this is not my first cycle by far.... 5'10 , 240, 11%bf... a good friend of mine is friend with pulumbo and says you have to take at least 1000mg of test A WEEK to keep gains...

cheesepuff said:
a good friend of mine is friend with pulumbo and says you have to take at least 1000mg of test A WEEK to keep gains...

I may be just reading this wrong, but what does dose have to do with KEEPING gains?

LiftTillIDie said:
You don't keep them without a gram a week :)

I will probably never have the guts to hit that dosage unless it is very concentrated and nothing else works after 7 + cycles etc. I dont know. 1000g is lots. :eyes:

Back