The Importance of smaller meals!

Musclemar

The Importance of eating smaller, more frequent meals.

By Skip La Cour.

One of the most important keys to building muscle, losing body fat, and feeling energetic throughout the day is controlling your metabolism. Metabolism is the chemical changes, procedure, or process that the nutrients in your food go through once eaten. Those nutrients will be either absorbed and become part of the body, absorbed and be used for energy, or be excreted through waste.

If you can influence the efficiency of your metabolism, you can build more rock-solid muscle. If you can get your body can efficiently use most of the high-quality protein you eat every day, you’ll have a better chance of packing-on more muscle over time. The “mass” you eat (in the form of high-quality protein) will turn into “mass” on your body (in the form of high-quality muscle) if the body uses it efficiently enough.

The human body’s “famine defense mechanism” (what it does to avoid dying in the event there’s a long period of time without food) is to hold onto some body fat and keep it as a safety reserve at all times. If you can successfully influence the efficiency of your metabolism, your body will start getting conditioned to hold onto less body fat. Think of your body telling itself, “I get fed so well and on a consistent basis, I don’t need to carry around this extra body fat. I won’t ever need it!”

Your body will either speed up its metabolism up and supply you with more energy throughout your day or slow it down to conserve what little energy it has left depending on how efficiently you eat. Your body simply will not let you “run itself into the ground.” If your body isn’t supplied with a steady stream of nutrients that it can easily convert into energy, it will start shutting itself down. Your body will give you less energy to work with. Your body isn’t going to let you kill yourself, you know. That’s another one of the safety mechanisms it uses to keep itself alive.

Eating smaller, more frequent meals is a sound nutritional strategy that can help you build muscle, lose body fat, and keep your energy levels high. Eating smaller, more frequent meals is a great way to control your metabolism.

Consuming six or so meals spread evenly throughout the day that totals 2,500 calories, let’s say, is much more efficient than eating only two meals equaling the same amount.

Here’s an analogy I like to use to illustrate the importance of eating smaller more frequent meals throughout the day. Did you or your brother ever have those “Hot Wheels” toy cars when you were a kid? If you or your brother did, then you already know that “Hot Wheels” are those tiny toy cars that you have to push around in order to make them go (they have no motors or remote controls).

You can also buy track pieces for your “Hot Wheels” cars to race around on. Do you remember those orange track pieces that you would put together with those purple track connectors? (By the way, the loop-de-loop, or the full-circle roller coaster-like section, was my favorite part of the track.)

If you really wanted to have a top-of-the-line experience with your “Hot Wheels” cars and track, you could also buy “Power Stations.” “Power Stations” were the houses that straddled the orange track. These special houses had battery-powered wheels spinning inside of them. Because the cars had no motors, the spinning wheels inside the “Power Stations” would propel the “Hot Wheels” around the track when they went through them.

Stick with me; the point of this story is coming soon.

If you strategically placed these “Power Stations” around the track, your car could race around the track continuously and at an even pace. You couldn’t spread them too far apart or the cars would eventually slow down and wouldn’t have enough power to reach the next “Power Station.” The goal was to have the “Hot Wheels” rumble around the track at a smooth and even pace. If the “Power Stations” were spread apart unevenly and inconsistently, the cars would go around the track in a herky-jerky manner; fast then slow; fast then slow; and fast then slow.

If you are following my analogy, then you realize the “Hot Wheels” car would symbolize your metabolism. The “Power Stations” would represent your nutritious meals. The orange, circular track would be analogous to your day.

You need to make sure you have enough meals to “power” your way throughout your day. And, you need to make sure those meals are spaced out evenly in order for your metabolism to run smoothly, evenly, and efficiently all day long.

Controlling your metabolism in this manner throughout the day; throughout the week, throughout the month; and throughout the entire year will undoubtedly get you closer to the physique you’ve always dreamed of having. You soon see that when you follow the nutritional strategy of eating smaller, more frequent meals, you’ll build more muscle, lose more body fat, and have more energy to live life to the fullest!

This article can also be found on: http://www.bodybuildingapplied.com/data/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=815

Back