The Lifestyle Approach to a Lean, Muscular Physique (Nice Read)

Drveejay11

I am banned!
by Marc Lobliner

This isn’t another marketing pitch with some bald chick screaming at you to cut out all dietary fat and eat lots of refined carbohydrates. I am not going to slam a diet down your throat that will leave you hungry, angry, and flat. This is going to be revolutionary in its approach. This is not a diet. This is a lifestyle.

Okay, so it’s not all that revolutionary. However, it seems to have been forgotten. The supplement industry has provided us with many great innovations including M1T, S1+ and a host of other awesome androgens that make “recomping” relatively easy. With the pending prohormone ban, it may be time for all of us to wise up and become lean, mean bodybuilding machines year round!

I have already laid out what I feel is a good daily macronutrient diet breakdown in the Xtreme Body Challenge, and I’m sure a lot of you have already read it. In this article I will outline what I feel is the best approach to staying lean year round.

Eat Often

While some studies say it doesn’t make a difference, there are many benefits to eating every 2.5 to 3 hours:
1. You won’t be waiting for your next meal for too long, making it easier to lay off the Pringles.
2. Helps to keep blood sugar from fluctuating, preventing unnecessary dog-kicking.
3. It gives you the opportunity to eat a variety of foods.
It is my belief that some people would be a lot nicer if they would adjust their eating patterns to include more frequent feedings. For example, if my wife doesn’t eat at least every 3 hours, she turns into the meanest person you’ll ever meet! It also gives you a chance to vary your food choices. Having a chocolate MRP between solid food meals can help stave off that sweet tooth that has ruined many diets in the past.

Protein Cures Cancer?

Well, maybe not, but at this year’s ISSN Conference I had the privilege to listen to a presentation by Dr. Lonnie Lowery about fat. There had been a lot of talk prior to his presentation about protein and Dr. Lowery’s presentation was very heavy on the benefits of protein. A woman then stood up during questions and said, “Next thing you know you guys will say protein cures cancer.” Even though we may not have proof that it does, protein is a very special macronutrient.

It’s been preached ad nauseum, so I’ll just spit it out quick. Get at least one gram of protein per pound of bodyweight per day. It doesn’t matter as much what kind, just make sure you get enough.

Eat Fruits and Vegetables

I am known for my ability to consume copious amounts of broccoli topped with mustard and Splenda (I have since switched to Stevia). I am not recommending this, but I do recommend eating vegetables and/or fruit with every meal other than pre and post workout. For example, with meal 1, have a grapefruit and with meal 2 have mixed vegetables. Not only will this help to fill you up with fewer calories, but it will also give you the vitamins and nutrients your body needs for overall health and to support muscle growth.

Simply eating an apple about ½ hour before a couple meals of the day has been shown to help with weight loss and maintenance. One study even showed a 2-3 pound weight loss over 12 weeks by eating 3 apples a day! By consuming fruit 30 minutes prior to a big meal, not only will you not be as tempted to devour your grandmother’s chicken pot pie, but you will also be providing your body with fiber and nutrients and it will help lessen the negative effects of your meal.

I’m PHAT like Dat

Any true gangsta knows that fat is where it’s at. Unlike the crazy woman who started the “Stop the Insanity” trend, I am a big advocate of good fats. The following are a must:
1. Fish Oil—6-10 grams total per day
2. Olive Oil—Use when cooking
Other than that, I don’t ever really see a need to drink oil unless you are a hardgainer. You can get adequate fat by eating the right amount of the right kinds of food.

The Anabolic Window

Pre and Post Workout—time to have some fun! Here you should pack in some carbs and protein and make sure you supply your body with what it needs to recover and perform. Preworkout, I recommend the following:
1. Banana mixed with 7-15 grams of whey depending on bodyweight mixed with these fine supplements (optional):
a. Creatine: 3-5 grams
b. Neuro-enhancer such as Neurostim by Scivation: 1 serving
2. Vendetta by Xtreme Formulations: 1 serving per instructions

a. Creatine: 3-5 grams
b. Neuro-enhancer such as Neurostim by Scivation: 1 serving

Post Workout options include:
1. 2:1 carb to protein ratio shake (such as Relentless by Xtreme Formulations): 1 Serving per instructions
2. Cereal mixed with skim milk or protein powder
3. Oatmeal and protein powder
Be sure to have your post-workout shake immediately after training and have your pre-workout shake around 15-30 minutes prior to the workout. During the workout, some have found success in combining a good BCAA formula like ICE with their water. Post workout, I still believe that fast acting carbs are optimal, but in the long run it won’t make that much of a difference. In fact, if you are craving a big bowl of Cap’n Crunch, post workout is the time when it will do the least amount of damage.

Refeeds!

Since this is a lifestyle and not a regimented diet, refeeds will not be scheduled. By sticking to a sound diet, you should keep your metabolism revving and the fat off. However, what do you do if you go out to an all you can eat pasta joint with your mommy? Well, I’m a glutton, and I’m going to eat until I start speaking Italian. If you eat 7 meals a day, 7 days a week, that is equal to 49 total meals. You can easily afford to make 3 meals out of those 44 meals “cheat meals” without effecting progress. In fact, it may even help you. Cheat meals are allowed, but very sparingly.

Meal
Supplements
Food

*Breakfast 1 serving Chizled immediately upon waking
Multivitamin/multimineral
400 international units (IU) of vitamin E
12 egg whites
1 cup cooked oatmeal
¼ cup berries (raspberries, blueberries, etc.)
*Morning Snack 1.5 scoops Ultra Peptide by Xtreme Formulations
1 cup cooked oatmeal
*30 Minutes Prior to Lunch
1 Apple
*Lunch
Chicken Breast
Brown Rice
Mixed Vegetables
*30 Minutes Prior to Afternoon Snack 1 Apple
*Afternoon Snack Lowfat Cottage Cheese
Yam (optional)
*Preworkout (15-30 minutes prior to training) 10 grams whey protein blended with 1 banana or 1 serving Vendetta
*Postworkout (immediately post workout) 1,000 mg Vitamin C
400-800 IU of Vitamin E Bowl of cereal mixed with protein shake or skim milk
Water: ½ to 1 liter
*Dinner (within 1 hour post workout) Lean Steak
Yam
Broccoli
*Bedtime Snack (10pm) 3-6 grams fish oil 1 Serving Ultra Peptide or lowfat cottage cheese

Thanks to supplements, getting fat and then dialing it in fast is easier than ever. Unfortunately, there is never a good time to get fat. With this lifestyle approach, you will never be “offseason” and there will never be a bad time to go topless. This lifestyle approach can vary as much as you’d like it to. The key is to adhere to the plan, try to stick to whole, natural food sources and stop looking for shortcuts.

Does anyone remember a few years ago when all the craze was eat, eat, eat. I don't mean a healthy propper diet, but guys recomending bulking on fast food all the time for calories and those 2000cal weightgain powders......what a crock of shit. If you think it's a good thing to put on 15lbs of fat in a bulker you need to do some reading. Albeit, putting on a little is alright.....since you'd rather that than think your not eating enough.....anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Back