The Mule

Status
Not open for further replies.

MULE

I just purchased a grappler from Lou Simmons and it got me thinking how important core movements really are. This is not a Westside commercial but I have to tell you I really like this piece of equipment. If you are a powerlifter or an athlete of any kind the grappler should be part of your weekly workout.
Your core strength is the basis for all your power, this can be the difference between a good squat and a great squat and many lifters do not honestly spend a lot of time working their core. Lets be honest how many of you devote time to sit ups, sled dragging, side bends etc. I’m sure not a lot, and why is this? Because core work is hard work. It’s a lot easier to lay down on a bench and do some reps than it is to do 4 sets of 25 weighted side bends, or to do trunk twists until you feel your sides ache.
I decided to do an experiment this year with core work. I recently became the strength coach of our local high school wrestling team and decided to try the theory out on them. I wanted to see if I eliminated there basic lifts ie: squat bench dead, power clean and replaced them with another movement would they continue to get strong at that lift and if so how much. Theses kids were very easy to train and as with all new lifters gains come very fast so they stayed very motivated. The ages range from 15-18 and body weight from 95 lbs to 150lbs. None of these kids have ever had any formal weight training. They were all tested the first week on al lifts. The first eight weeks were devoted to technique on power cleans flat bench, squats and deadlifts. They worked out 3 days a week and every work out started with sled dragging. They make three trips 200ft in each direction with 145 lbs on an 80lb sled. They would then move onto cleans, squats, bench, or deadlifts. On squats they started with a set of purple bands immediately and each using a different bar weight for 10 sets of 3 the same was done with the bench. We used a five sets of 3 for the power cleans and deadlifts. The next three weeks instead of squats they did plyometric work on 4 different boxes ranging from 16-27 inches all while holding a 20or 40 lb medicine ball they flipped either a 350 or a 500 lb tire for 3sets of 5 in place of deadlifts and did an over head keg toss in place of power cleans. Sit ups, weighted pull ups, weighted dips, trunk twists on the grappler, chain suspended push ups, the rev hyper and glute ham raises were all done twice a week and each workout ended with three trips again with the sled. They were all tested and after 6 weeks total there squat improved by no less than 20% there benches and average of 15-18% there deadlifts 20% and there power cleans 10-13%. The lightest lifter at 95 lbs squatted 235 and the biggest at 150 sqautted 385 all lifters made there lifts raw with only a belt.
I was really pleased with the results and not only did the kids obtain a load of functional strength they had a variety of exercises to do and this keeps there workouts fun. Now these are wrestlers, not powerlifters, and they are all new to lifting in general so after some extended time under the bar the results will be much less, but it just goes to show you how important it is to keep your core strength up. These kids not only maintained strength in each lift but improved considerably.
(A side note here all squats were done of a parallel box, bands and chains were utilized for deadlifting, squatting and benching.) If you want to up your squat, bench press or deadlift, throw in some extra core work and treat it as serious as you would your main movements. Thanks to Lou Simmons for some great ideas and a great piece of equipment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is one of our bench temp.

NAZARETH BARBELL INC.
60 south 8th street
Tatamy, PA
610-438-2902
Welcome to www.nazbar.com
info@nazbar.com

All workout programs are the exclusive property of Nazareth Barbell Powertraining Inc. and may not be reproduced without exclusive written permission of Mike Miller.

The system we use at Nazareth Barbell is based off of a 5 week wave, Zero Momentum Work and CNS (Central Nervous System) Overload. This system is designed to optimize strength by using a maximal amount of weight through active resistance, zero momentum and progressive force training. We also use the Conjugate Method which allows use to train all year long free of injury and we continue to get stronger. These methods are some of the best in the world and have produced some of the strongest powerlifters on the planet, if followed correctly you will maximize your strength in a very short period of time.

Saturday Flat Bench/ Skill Training
Remember when benching to make each rep count, maximize your arch, grip the bar like your breaking it in half, keep your feet firmly on the ground and pinch your shoulder blades tight. When you inhale hold your breath through the entire rep while pushing your abs into your belt. During your raw warm up keep your pinkie on the ring, when you move to shirt work put your index finger on the ring. You’re going to start your waves beginning with the 4 board for three weeks of straight bar weight and then 2 weeks with bar weight and chain. after this 5 week wave you will switch to the 3 board for 3 weeks of straight weight and then 2 weeks of bar and chain the 2 board with straight weight and then 2 weeks of bar and chain and then the 1 board for 3 weeks and then 2 weeks of bar and chain. DO NOT DO SPEED WORK EVER AGAIN. You will have to adjust you bar weight accordingly if you can handle more go up but not to the point of where you are struggling.

5 week wave number 1
Warm up raw
bx10 95x6 135x4 160x3 185x2 195x1 275x1

Shirt on week 1-3
4 board
365x3
405x1
455-475x5x2 every week for the next three weeks you need to increase this weight by 10-15 lbs this is progressive overload,. Your lifts should be strong,cleand and take no more than 2 second to lock out. If your taking more than 2-3 seconds the weight is to heavy and you need to drop the bar weight

Flat Bench/ Skill Training
Week 4-5 with bar weight and active resistance
The goal here is to give your central nervous system a break. However with ESP ( Enhanced Strength and Performance) training you will maintain 90% or greater of your one rep max throughout your cycle with the use of bar and active resistance i.e.: chains. You will need at least 200 lbs of chain to get started. Set the chain up so that half of it deloads when the bar is touching your chest.

Warm up raw

Shirt on week 4-5
4 board
200-100 lbs chain x3
200-100lbs chain x1
200-200lbs chain x1
275-325-200lbs chain 5x2every week for the next three weeks you need to increase this weight by 10-15 lbs this is progressive overload,. your lifts should be strong,cleand and take no more than 2 second to lock out. If your taking more than 2-3 seconds the weight is to heavy and you need to drop the bar weight
Static holds CNS ( Central Nervous System) Overload.
These are done for 8-10 second intervals Do these in a power rack only with the safety bars midway between your chest and lockout. Have at least 3 spotters. Put your shirt on get into a competition arch and form and hold the weight locked out for as long as you can no more than 10 seconds. Notice these are done only on the 2 weeks where you are using chain.
495 x 10 sec

5 week wave number 2
Warm up raw

shirt on week 1-3
3 board
365x3
405x1
425-450x5x2 every week for the next three weeks you need to increase this weight by 10-15 lbs this is progressive overload,. your lifts should be strong,cleand and take no more than 2 second to lock out. If your taking more than 2-3 seconds the weight is to heavy and you need to drop the bar weight

shirt on week 4-5
3 board
200-100 lbs chain x3
200-100lbs chain x1
200-200lbs chain x1
275-300-200lbs chain 5x2every week for the next three weeks you need to increase this weight by 10-15 lbs this is progressive overload,. your lifts should be strong,cleand and take no more than 2 second to lock out. If your taking more than 2-3 seconds the weight is to heavey and you need to drp the bar weight

These are done for 8-10 second intervals Do these in a power rack only with the saftey bars midway between your chest and lockout..Have at least 3 spotters. put your shirt on get into a competition arch and form and hold the weight locked out for as long as you can no more than 10 seconds. Notice these are done only on the 2 weeks where you are using chain.
515 x 10 sec

5 week wave number 3
Warm up raw

shirt on week 1-3
2 board
365x3
405x1
400-425x5x2 every week for the next three weeks you need to increase this weight by 10-15 lbs this is progressive overload,. your lifts should be strong,cleand and take no more than 2 second to lock out. If your taking more than 2-3 seconds the weight is to heavey and you need to drp the bar weight

Static holds
These are done for 8-10 second intervals

shirt on week 4-5
2 board
200-100 lbs chain x3
200-100lbs chain x1
200-200lbs chain x1
250-275-200lbs chain 5x2every week for the next three weeks you need to increase this weight by 10-15 lbs this is progressive overload,. your lifts should be strong,cleand and take no more than 2 second to lock out. If your taking more than 2-3 seconds the weight is to heavey and you need to drp the bar weight

These are done for 8-10 second intervals Do these in a power rack only with the saftey bars midway between your chest and lockout..Have at least 3 spotters. put your shirt on get into a competition arch and form and hold the weight locked out for as long as you can no more than 10 seconds. Notice these are done only on the 2 weeks where you are using chain.
530 x 10 sec

5 week wave number 4
Warm up raw

shirt on week 1-3
1 board
365x3
405x1
380-415x5x2 every week for the next three weeks you need to increase this weight by 10-15 lbs this is progressive overload,. your lifts should be strong,cleand and take no more than 2 second to lock out. If your taking more than 2-3 seconds the weight is to heavey and you need to drp the bar weight

shirt on week 4-5
1 board
200-100 lbs chain x3
200-100lbs chain x1
200-200lbs chain x1
230-255-200lbs chain 5x2every week for the next three weeks you need to increase this weight by 10-15 lbs this is progressive overload,. your lifts should be strong,cleand and take no more than 2 second to lock out. If your taking more than 2-3 seconds the weight is to heavey and you need to drp the bar weight

550 x 10 sec

Last week
Warm up raw

shirt on week 1-3
full range
365x3
405x1
hit a max single

Tuesday flat bench zero momentum training all benching done with a close grip, When you get to your 5 work sets each rep should take 3-5 seconds or the weight is not heavy enough. This is designed to teach you how to grind weight and make your lockouts and presses very strong. D all your raw work with the same technique you use for your shirt , also do not worry about how strong your raw bench is anymore. A STRONG RAW BENCH DOES NOT EQUATE TO A STRONG SHIRT BENCH…

ZERO MOMENTUM
Due to the extreme nature of this work out you should only do it once per month the other 1 -2 workouts you may want to alternate with the following exercises, try close grip reverse bands or regular close grips, mule presses, lockouts you can also hook the bands up from the bottom up and do lighter weight for 8x3 of 5x3 after your done with your work sets drop the bar weight and do 2-3 sets of 20 reps for hypertrophy.

I want you to do these in a power rack starting with a set of green minis or purples one or the other, also around 80 lbs of chain, again you will need spotters do not due these without spotters.

1. Your first 2 sets should be the bar and the bands just to get the feel of the bands
2. Your next set should be the bar , bands and 40 lbs of chain
3. The next the bar, bands, and 80 lbs of chain. And then 160
4. Now start adding bar weight, you will need to do 3-4 sets until you get to a weight that forces you to grind when you get there do 5 singles, remember it should take 3-5 seconds to do a rep…

Accessory Tricep work

Tate presses or rolling extensions go to ] for a picture on how to do these.
Using dumbbells find a weight you can handle for 8x6.

Pushdowns
Do these with the green mini bands
Use a weight you can handle for 8x15x20 reps.

Rolling extensions
5-10x6

Thursday Shoulders, Traps and Upper Back
Military Press or rack pulls
Use green mini bands with this exercise

Rack Pulls
Set rack just above the knee.
Do 4-5 sets of warm up 3 heavy triples and singles till you miss.

shrugs
shrugs are important to help stabilize the shoulders when benching. Use correct form and take your time do not bounce the reps.
Dumbbells
Warm up set 100 x20
135x15
160-200 lbs. 4x12-15
drop set 135x20
Alternate your dumbell shrugs every 3-4 weeks with barbells, Kelso shrugs and cable shrugs...I like to do 2 diffretn shrugs every workout....

front and side raises

20-30 lb dumbbells 4x15 front and side

t-bar rows
use a green mini band for these

135x10
185x8
225x8
270x5

Last edited by a moderator:
The Seven P’s
Previous proper planning prevents piss poor performance; How true, This is the creed of United States SEAL Team six, I’m sure we are all familiar with theses fellows. The guys who do things that would make the rest of undergo immediate testicular atrophy. They are prepared for anything at any given moment, When they go into battle or into some third world country to rearrange the part in some dictators hair they have everything they need to accomplish the job. You should be the same way come meet day; unfortunately I learned this the hard way this year. I know comparing powerlifting to a SEAL operation is a bit much but can you think of a better example of preparedness. So here you are at the world finals or let’s say the Arnold, you have spent 6 months. Or more training, Thousands of dollars on food, supplements, new equipment, hotel fees, travel expenses, etc. You order you new bench shirt, squat suit or other equipment and you tell the manufacturer you need it according to your federation standards. So 6 weeks out you get your new gear, your banging out big reps like you never have before and you’re stronger than you have ever been in your life. YOU ARE READY!!!!!! Meet day roles around you drive or fly to your destination, another expense, you go to weigh ins and get you equipment checked only to find out you piece of new gear has been rejected because it does not meet this federations standards, you start to loose your mind and everyone in the room is looking for something to use as a shield. Now you can sit back and lay blame on the person that made the equipment or you can realize it was your responsibility to check that shirt and make sure it met the requirements, no one here to blame but yourself. So the judge tells you if you get you equipment fixed to the specs you can lift. YAHOO!!!! You drive an hour and change to meet the manufacturer and get you shit together. It’s now starting to turn into a really long day. You get you gear fixed but because it’s last minute some things are different and it’s not fitting the way it was, oh well, make the best of it. So here we are, meet day, you have had an ok nights sleep not the greatest because you brought your 10yr old along and this time she has gotten sick during the trip and been up most of the night coughing and wheezing, but no matter you’ll do fine. Back to the meet, you’ve had a good breakfast, plenty of liquids and carbs and your ready to go, but wait due to some technical difficulties the meet will be starting 3 hrs late and you have no food with you, oh darn, well no matter do the best with what you have. Time passes and you’re getting warmed up. Everything is going well until you put your shirt on and things feel a little funky, you attribute this to nerves and think once you hit the stage you’ll be fine, WRONG. You go out on stage the crowd is screaming, ok, ok time to get it on the heck with everything that went wrong this is what you came here to do. You get your handoff and take most of it yourself because you never told your spotter to check and make sure the uprights were raised and he is doing a 765lb front raise. The weight is a little heavy but you tell yourself you can do it anyway until it stops about 4 inches from lockout because you newly repaired shirt wont allow you to swing your arms back and you find out that the bar has been overloaded by 29 lbs. Well my friend guess what, you’ve shot a big whad at your first attempt and you have one more to go. I’m going to stop here because we all know what happens.
This may sound like a bunch of excuses and sour grapes for missing a lift, but it’s not. All of these things happened to me at the Arnold this year and they were my fault entirely. I could have prevented each and every one of them. The equipment was my responsibility, I should have checked it thoroughly and made sure it met WPO standards and I should have had 2 shirts not one. Kids are great, don’t get me wrong, I love taking mine to meets, but something as important as the Arnold, Leave them home with grandma so you don’t have an additional worry. Take food with you, lots of food so you don’t burn out, you never can tell when something is going to happen and a meet is not going to start on time especially a big meet. Now we have the uprights and the bar overload issue, it’s your responsibility to educate you handler and make sure he knows what to look for, have him check the weight to make sure it’s not overloaded and make sure the uprights are in the correct position. All you should have to do on meet day is lift, nothing else….

I have done many meets and let me tell you what, your coach slash handler can help you make it or break it. Bill Crawford One of the best benchers in the world, as well as a fantastic coach and handler would go to a meets with me and when I would start asking questions about equipment etc, he would grab my face and look at me and say Mike, all you have to do today is lift. Shut up and relax. That’s how it should be, you need someone to place your faith in, someone who will handle the little shit that is so important. So next time you have a big meet take your time and make sure you have it all planned out. Every one of these things I mentioned is a contributing factor into how good or bad you will do, take nothing for granted and plane your day as though everything that can go wrong will. Here is to next year and learning from your mistakes..

Mike Miller
Nazareth Barbell

To the Beginner
This article is intended to provide insight for the individual who is just starting out in powerlifting. Most of us begin our powerlifting career/hobby saying I’ll be happy when I can bench 400lbs. I’d be happy if I had a 600Lb. squat. We sit and admire and marvel at those who have accomplished what we believe to be unattainable lifts. I’ll never be able to do that, you have to use drugs to get that strong, Bullshit. 10 yrs. ago a 1000 lb squat was unheard of. A 760lb bench at 275 a 725lb. bench at 267, who could accomplish such a feat. People, who have no mental limitations, people who don’t allow themselves the luxury of excuses. I recently watched Sebastian Burns of the Metal Militia bench 725Lbs at 267Lbs. with a broken ankle, he made 1 lift over 600 lbs 2 lifts over 700Lbs. and attempted 765 that day, all with a broken ankle, what does this tell you, it tells me his mind is overwhelmingly stronger than his body. I’ll never forget the first time I saw a 1000lb squat. It was Mike Ruggeri of Westside Barbell. I stood in the hallway of York Barbell in total amazement that this man would put 1000lbs on his back let alone squat it. Mike was able to accomplish this because no one told him he couldn’t. I could continue to mention lifter after lifter who has accomplished incredible feats of strength or who have overcome physical barriers and still made it to the platform and kicked ass. What do all these guys have in common, they are mentally strong, they have an undying will and no limitations. I’m sure you don’t walk into Westside Barbell with a weak mind. I have never trained at Westside but from what I’ve heard don’t bother showing up unless you plan on giving it your all. I have recently started training with Bill Crawford and the members of the Metal Militia. My first training session with Bill C. was on July 6th of this year .Myself and about 20 other guys in the basement of the Adirondack Nautilus club in upstate NY. I was struggling with my denim bench shirt and was having trouble making the bar touch. I did my warm-up and put my shirt on and started with 500lbs. I dropped the bar to about 3 “ from my chest and Billl screamed do it again fast without thinking I dropped the bar down again this time it touched he screamed again do it again fast so I did it again, I got up from the bench thinking to myself holy shit, I just pressed 500 lbs. 3 times I’ve never done that. I had just found out what true intensity and no limitations really meant. Bill knew I was strong enough to bench 500 lbs. for a triple, but I didn’t. You can be the strongest guy on the planet but if you don’t believe you are you will be out benched by a guy who weighs 50 lbs. less than you and has a no limitations attitude. The day after training with Bill and Sebastian, I felt like I had been hit by a truck, the amount of work that gets done and the amount of weight that gets moved in a three hour period is incredible, no one stops lifting, the bar is always loaded and the bench always has a lifter on it. I came back to the gym with a new attitude; I was going to train for real. No more bullshit, no more standing around and talking between sets no more discussing the days events, or problems with the wives, I won’t even answer the phone at the gym anymore while I’m training. I started training Militia style. The guys I lift with were a little taken back by all this but they have started to adapt, we now lift harder and stronger than we ever did and we have all reaped the rewards. In 5 weeks my bench went from 585 to 655. We have 2 guys who bench over 600 lbs 3 guys who bench over 500 lbs and several at 400lbs and one guy who is 140Lbs who benches 315. The majority of these guys are in there second year as powerlifters. We have all changed our training attitude and we no longer allow ourselves the luxury of I can’t. Bill has been to our gym 3 times on training weekends and every time he comes the intensity shoots up 50 points and 17 out of 20 lifters will hit a PR. My point is do not allow yourself to quit, don’t convince yourself that a weight is not attainable. You can be as strong as your mind will allow you to be. When I started 2 yrs ago I had no idea what I was doing, so I surrounded myself with those who did. I tried everything I used bands I used chains I tried several different methods and styles of training and I got something from all of them. I started calling people like Bill Crawford, Dave Tate, Louie Simmons, J.M. Blakely and John Bott, I asked there advice whenever I had a problem and they all where more then happy to help. The best thing I ever did for myself and our team was to go to NY and start training with Bill. You can do the same thing if your in your basement by yourself trying to powerlift, get out, find a gym where you can train hard, go to training weekends at other gyms, call people and ask for there advice, train with people who are stronger than you and who motivate and encourage, don’t train with people who constantly criticize others and who put others down. The Powerlifting community is filled with some really great people who love the sport, don’t get me wrong it has its share of assholes just like anything else, but the majority of the people are great and have a good attitude. Remember one thing , there is no one way of training no one has the secret set and rep scheme locked up and hidden in a vault. Powerlifting is hard , hard work lots of experimentation and lots 90% mental attitude. Stick with, when you stop making progress change your routine and do what works for you not what works for the guy next to you.

Be Strong,
Mike
Nazareth Barbell
610-438-2902

pullinbig said:
well since you the current world record holder who better than you?

mike we would love for you to post more. i mean you like our hero and shit.

your sub total out does most all most everyones total on this baord.

seriously mike i for one would love to read some of your training and tips.

and one more request if i may? whos the hot ass in you atavar?

and did you read the highlights of the JP mem i posted? phil harrington hit 855 at 180. damn. he smoked 875 but it was a bit high so...... 2 red lights.

mcvicar and flat line weston lifted as well. weston made the 220s and opened with a 905 and hit it, then went for a grand and never got comforatable. he passed. mcvicar made the 98s and opened with a 585, then hit 605 and missed 635 on bench. only 4 weeks of training but gave it a ride.

Thats very cooll

Thats my wifes butt in the avitar...she said thanks...

I just wanted to say thanks to you guys, I have really been taking a beeting, I feel in my heart the lift was good. the side judge told deb whne my depth was good. I'm hard to judge because of my leg size ..anyway tahnks to all of you If I can help any one here please do not hesitate to ask...

Mike

thnks Mike im sticking this feel free to post anymore of your articles or whatever here or anywhere else lol..thnks again

Very nice, and I can attest to core being extremely important... cuz I'm still workin on it!

MULE said:
I just wanted to say thanks to you guys, I have really been taking a beeting, I feel in my heart the lift was good. the side judge told deb whne my depth was good. I'm hard to judge because of my leg size ..anyway tahnks to all of you If I can help any one here please do not hesitate to ask...

Mike

Man...I'm FAR from a powerlifter but if you went to the meet, suited up, got on the platform...AND got at least 2 white lights...the lift was GOOD!!!!

People can do and say A LOT of things from the comfort of their sofa.

I'd really like to read more about your mindset with contest prep (say last month), the few days before, the day before, the day OF, and how things change for the few weeks after. The mental part of it is really important to me...would like to read more about what someone on your level goes through.

B True

Don’t Be Afraid
I was about to attempt a 1,000 Lb. squat. This was the first time I had ever been under this much weight. I was in the gym surrounded by a bunch of big ass powerlifters whom I trusted to spot me, as they had all be around this kind of thing many times before. Bob Youngs myself, Jim Wendler and Bill Crawford had just gotten done giving a two day seminar and now everyone was working out. I was a little on edge but I felt pretty strong and very confident in those around me. As I grabbed the bar and began to grit my teeth, I pulled in my last breath of air I heard a deep, gritty voice , grumble DON’T BE AFRIAD!!! Yeah that’s right what the f--- why should I be afraid. At that moment those 3 words pulled me together more than any advice or any psych up I had ever done. More than any smack on the back more than a crack in the mouth just 3 simple words, DON”T BE AFRAID, do what you need to do to get your job done and do not let fear rule your ability. As I completed the lift I felt really good inside, not only because I had squatted a 1,00lbs. But I did it without fear. Don’t’ be afraid is more than just sound lifting advice it’s a way to live your day to day life, it’s an attitude, not cocky or arrogant, but self assured and confident. It’s a way to be, a way to make decisions. I have always kind of lived life by the seat of my pants and I could think of no better motto by which to live. Ever since the day I heard those words for the first time I have kept them with me, I write DBA on the front of my sneakers so that is the last thing I see before I make a lift. We make decisions every day, some that are important life altering ones some not so important ones, but regardless I will do them without fear. As we all get further along in our powerlifting careers several things start to happen, the weight gets a little heavier, recuperation time gets longer and everything we do has an impact on our lifting. Mental toughness is paramount for not just advanced athletes but beginners as well. When I started lifting what it took to get me to me “there” is much different than what I do know. I used to go through a big psych up with a lot of shouting slapping and carrying on, now I wait until I get under the bar and focus my attention on the lift, there are very few antics involved in my lifting. I found it not only to be a waste of energy but over stimulation can directly effect concentration. I know allot of you are thinking this is much easier said then done and I will admit there are plenty of times that I have walked up on the platform only to be met with a vicious case of jello legs or the shakes. Most of us are worried about doing well and we of course want to beat our pr’s and do well in front of our peers. Those who have sponsors also want to maintain them and make a good appearance for them as well. But these are the times that will make you stronger, time to overcome your fears and put it all aside, focus on the good lifts you have made in the past, it’s normal to see your self making a bad lift or to visualize something negative but if you can turn that thought around and remember a good day when the weight felt light and you crushed your lift, I’m sure the outcome of the lift your about to perform will be the same. Visualization is a very powerful tool and can absolutely change the outcome of any sporting event. Don’t be afraid, of the weight, of yourself, your ability to go beyond what you think is your best. Every time you train and you think you’ve put it all out there put 20lbs more on and do another set. When you get out there on the platform, it’s just you, the bar and the weight; make it do what you want it to not what it wants you to do, take control of your lifts and command the weight and above all else DON’T BE AFRAID!!!

Thanks Jim
Mike Miller

b fold the truth said:
Man...I'm FAR from a powerlifter but if you went to the meet, suited up, got on the platform...AND got at least 2 white lights...the lift was GOOD!!!!

People can do and say A LOT of things from the comfort of their sofa.

I'd really like to read more about your mindset with contest prep (say last month), the few days before, the day before, the day OF, and how things change for the few weeks after. The mental part of it is really important to me...would like to read more about what someone on your level goes through.

B True

Let me think on that for a day or two and I'll post something..it's a great question and deserves a well thought out answer...
I started with a sports hypnotist 4 weeks prior to the meet....thank you for asking
Mike

I don't know how i missed this. It is good to see you in the training section here mike and hope you spend some more time around here. Your expertise will be greatly appreceated, and i can assure you you will not take a beating on this forum.

MULE said:
ZERO MOMENTUM
Due to the extreme nature of this work out you should only do it once per month the other 1 -2 workouts you may want to alternate with the following exercises, try close grip reverse bands or regular close grips, mule presses, lockouts you can also hook the bands up from the bottom up and do lighter weight for 8x3 of 5x3 after your done with your work sets drop the bar weight and do 2-3 sets of 20 reps for hypertrophy.

I want you to do these in a power rack starting with a set of green minis or purples one or the other, also around 80 lbs of chain, again you will need spotters do not due these without spotters.

1. Your first 2 sets should be the bar and the bands just to get the feel of the bands
2. Your next set should be the bar , bands and 40 lbs of chain
3. The next the bar, bands, and 80 lbs of chain. And then 160
4. Now start adding bar weight, you will need to do 3-4 sets until you get to a weight that forces you to grind when you get there do 5 singles, remember it should take 3-5 seconds to do a rep…

i was looking over your bench template and i am a little confused about what you mean when you say "Zero Momentum." am i correct to think that you are saying to find a weight (after adding bands and chains) that you strain to get to lockout for 3-5 seconds? and are you talking about doubling the bands over from the bottom of the rack, or suspending the bar with the bands at the top? thanks...

Illuminati said:
i was looking over your bench template and i am a little confused about what you mean when you say "Zero Momentum." am i correct to think that you are saying to find a weight (after adding bands and chains) that you strain to get to lockout for 3-5 seconds?
YES, thazt is correct

and are you talking about doubling the bands over from the bottom Yes that isa also correct....use light bands though

MULE said:
Illuminati said:
i was looking over your bench template and i am a little confused about what you mean when you say "Zero Momentum." am i correct to think that you are saying to find a weight (after adding bands and chains) that you strain to get to lockout for 3-5 seconds?
YES, thazt is correct

and are you talking about doubling the bands over from the bottom Yes that isa also correct....use light bands though

thanks mike. that was a little unclear to me at first.
also, i like the article about your first attempt at a 1,000lb squat. i have always wondered what goes through the mind when when attempting something like that. do you have any more articles like that?

Wow, your posts are always entertaining! Keep up the good work and glad to see that you're posting more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back