Thinking about homebrewing a few different compounds

carverelli

I am banned!
Was wanting to brew my own gear, I know it's cheaper but to amass all neccesary materials and hardware what's a good ballpark estimate $ wise to get the basic setup to brew 3-4 different compounds?

It depends on how rapt up in everything you want to get. Do you want to make enough just for you? I've always used a syringe filter as I only brew enough for me and a mate who goes halvies with me. My next brew will be a bottle top filter.

For a syringe filter I'd recommend Whatman or Millipore PVDF. You'll need some 50ml syringes as well. Each filter should do 50ml or so of oil. These filters are about $4 each depending on how many you buy.

I'm yet to use my bottle top set up, but I have a Whatman Zap Cap, flask to hold my filtered oil and a hand vacuum. Cost me about $150 (I bought 4 filters) for the lot. Each future batch will only be the cost of the filter (usually <$20).

Then you need to decide how you're going to store your oil. You can buy sterile vials and fill these or you can buy vials, seals and a crimper. But that gets expensive. It's a very simple process but hygiene is key. If I EVER have a doubt about the sterility of my finished product, I throw it out. I'd rather make another batch and waste a few $ than risk infection. On that note, this has only ever happened to me once and it was a very minor thing I just wasn't happy.

If your brewing for yourself, pretty cheap. Couple of Whatman filters @ 4 - 6$ a pop. Couple 50ml and 10ml syringes some different size beakers And your choice of vials for the finished product. can't be anymore then 50$ in the US.

Back