Vegan told to get 120 - 150 grams of Protein a Day!

ajgnaples

So my Anti-Aging doctor told me to get .8X of body weight or close to it in Protein. I am 190# now. Does this sound correct like 150+ grams of protein a day? HTF do I do that? Like 5 Protein Shakes a day with 20 grams..... or do you guys double the dose of scoops in the Shakes (Vega or Garden of Life) and then beans, tofu and other protein the balance?

Yes I try to stay Vegan. So no laughs at my expense, please.

I am not into Whey Protein or these Gainer Shakes either.

But any thoughts would be great.

If I was doing like 80 grams of protein a day and gaining little muscle mass but then doubled my protein intake, will that actually help??

its doable. Every 1 ounce of meat has around 7-9 grams protein depending on the meat, with fish and beef typically on the higher end of that range. So in order to get to 150 grams into you each day, you would need to eat a lot of meat (12 ounces+) per day along with other high protein sources including eggs, whey protein, and even dairy (yogurt, cheese, milk).

Having said that, your a vegetarian but I think it can still be done as well, there is one vegetarian around here I recall that might be able to give you more insight.
You can always contact 3J to get free advice and guidance.

Last edited:
So my Anti-Aging doctor told me to get .8X of body weight or close to it in Protein. I am 190# now. Does this sound correct like 150+ grams of protein a day? HTF do I do that? Like 5 Protein Shakes a day with 20 grams..... or do you guys double the dose of scoops in the Shakes (Vega or Garden of Life) and then beans, tofu and other protein the balance?

Yes I try to stay Vegan. So no laughs at my expense, please.

I am not into Whey Protein or these Gainer Shakes either.

But any thoughts would be great.

If I was doing like 80 grams of protein a day and gaining little muscle mass but then doubled my protein intake, will that actually help??

hey i have been pretty much vegan for last 3 years and 100% vegetarian for last 12 years or so. So no laughs here man. I applaud you for making efforts in the lifestyle and values that seem right to you.
some tips to help get in more protein:
you said you dont like that weight gainer stuff... but you could make your own and its awesome, pretty much a protein cal packed fruit smoothy.
i usually do it along the lines like this:
in a blender;
1 banana
handfull of frozen mixed berries or fav pick
2-3 tbs almond butter or extra virgin olive oil or ground hemp seed
2g taurine (you can buy it in bulk its really good for many things, muscle, heart, mind etc and if you dont eat meat or dairy i highly rec adding this)
1-2g creatin ^
20-30g oatmeal grownd *optional
3 scoops of protein (about 75g)
fill with soy milk, almond mil etc or water and blend well, 2 servings with easily 30-40g+ protein each.

in general i put atleast 2scoops when i make my protein drink and thats easily 50g each, i usually drink 75% of it within 10min then sip rest of it over next hr or whatever. I usually att 1-2oz of olive oil to it, if you do that and shake it up you wont even notice it if its decent olive oil.

add lots of nuts for snacks, get bulk bag of wallnuts or another nut and fill ziplock bags with them for snack and bring to work or when you go out and try have it with your protein drink when you can IMO.

yes more protein will help you in my opinion.

I also eat ALOT of beans, I mean ALOT man lol. no i dont have any fart issues. people that eat alot of beans often detox colon IMO and dont seem to have this issue. when you are not used to it then people tend to have more gas issues. bean stew and rice i like.
then there are all the meat substitutes you can use. like deli style meat/veggie slices for sandwiches or chicken strips.

I also eat ALOT of beans, I mean ALOT man lol. no i dont have any fart issues. people that eat alot of beans often detox colon IMO and dont seem to have this issue. when you are not used to it then people tend to have more gas issues.

is it better to soak the beans the night before? does this have any effect on output of gas? I eat tons of beans too but I am still being classified by the State Department as a WMD and can clear a room in under 60 seconds. ;)

Last edited:
Back