What do you think about this article

Havasu

This article describes what it calls savvy pre, intra, and post workout nutrition. The way it lays it out is 45 minutes prior to training you have fast carbs, and hydrolyzed protein. 15 minutes before you have another fast carb/hydrolyzed protein drink. You sip on a similar yet smaller mixture intra, and post you have protein only, at least that's how it reads.

Personally I'm not sure I believe that spiking insulin 45 minutes prior to training is needed. If you're going to have something fast acting 15 minutes prior to get things going doesn't seem like a bad idea, and sipping intra makes sense. Because you've had so many carbs by the time training is complete, I could see how just having protein after would make sense. Personally I believe eating a whole food meal 1.5 hours prior to training would work just as well, as far as fueling energy, then you could start with fast acting mixes. Also, from what I've read if you want to burn more fat cut out intra carbs for the most part.

I'm interested in what others have to say, and I am especially interested in what you have to say 3J if you want to chime in.

https://www.t-nation.com/store/articles/what-you-don-t-know-about-workout-supplementation

Most people don't need any intra-workout nutrition... unless your training for really long periods (2hrs minimum.) Spiking insulin doesn't really have much to do with it. I can understand some "fast" carbs prior to the workout to fill up liver glycogen, but I don't think it's necessary to have 2x fast carb meals and intra... Maybe one fast carb meal mixed with a lower glycemic carb source to help re-synthesize glycogen post work out. All kind of depends on whether your bulking/cutting/recomping etc. too I guess.

I don't see why the protein would need to be hydrolyzed either. Also even following that plan you will still have nutrients being released into the bloodstream all throughout training and probably after it as well.. so really no need for any intra workout nutrition. Also I would prefer protein + carb post workout if bulking. Gotta keep the glycogen stores full.

That's my thoughts anyways.. I'm far from any nutrition guru tho lol.. Interesting to see how 3J & Rip weigh in on this.

Back