What is the keto diet and how does it work?

sugarsedge

Hi, any of you familiar with the Keto Diet? been hearing a lot about it from my officemates, said to be effective. How does it work? What foods can you eat if you are on a keto diet?

You eat fewer than 30 grams of Net carbs a day. It puts your body into a state of ketosis which means your body burns fat to create ketones instead of running off glucose.

In the end it still comes down to how many calories you eat vs burn. But many people on keto don't have the strong feeling of hunger that you often feel on diets. The downside of keto is that your energy levels are lower. Your body doesn't run as efficiently on ketones as it does on glucose.

Make sure to keep lifting weights. Go heavy since your Glycogen levels will be depleted.

That's it in a nutshell. There are books on the subject. Lyle McDonald is the guro on this subject.

The ketogenic diet also has plenty of solid research backing up its benefits. In fact, it has been found to be better than most diets at helping people with:

• Epilepsy
  • Type 2 Diabetes
  • Type 1 Diabetes
  • High Blood Pressure
  • Alzheimer’s disease
  • Parkinson’s disease
  • Chronic Inflammation
  • High Blood Sugar Levels
  • Obesity
  • Heart Disease
  • Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
  • Fatty Liver Disease
  • Cancer
  • Migraines

The ketogenic diet encourages the elimination of refined and processed carbohydrates. However, not all carbohydrates are created equal. Many health benefits come from a diet that includes a variety of nutrient-dense, fibrous carbs, f***ts, vegetables, lean proteins, and healthy fats.

I used a keto diet for my contest prep in 2009; ended up placing 2nd in Lightweight. Never been more shredded in my life. Energy levels were a little low on it. One of the most effective fat loss diets out there.

A ketogenic diet is very low-carb, high-fat diet. Carbohydrates intake is drastically reduced & replaced with fats in this diet.
Percentage of nutrients intake in a ketogenic diet is given below:
Fat: 75%
Protein: 20%
Carbs: 5%

or

Fat: 60%
Protein: 35%
Carbs: 5%

The keto diet is like Atkins on steroids. It turns the body into a fat-burning machine. The human body breaks down carbohydrates into glucose, which is used for energy or stored as glycogen in liver and muscle tissue. But the body has a plan-B fuel supply.(indianworkouts)
foods to eat on a ketogenic diet.
Seafood. Fish and shellfish are very keto-friendly foods.
Low-Carb Vegetables.
Avocados.
Meat and Poultry.
Eggs.
Coconut Oil.
Plain Greek Yogurt and Cottage Cheese.

Yes, I know the Keto Diet. It's all about eating low-carb, high-fat foods. The goal is to get your body into a condition called ketosis. Here, your body burns fat, not carbs, for energy.

Back