an easy way to sterilize my beaker?

ronrr

could i get some different ways you guys sterilize your beakers? i was thinking cleaning it with alchole pads then baking for 2hours at 350f and cleaning it with some BA after what do you guys think?

Pee in it... pee is sterile. Maybe boil the pee in it... or bake it in the oven like you said, at 350... just with pee in it.

What you said should work though, idk if you'd actually need to leave it in for 2hrs... but I guess it wouldn't hurt. The real question is, how do you plan on keeping it sterile afterwards?

dont give stupid answers.. after it cools im going to rinse it with ba or iso not sure witch and then im going to use it right away.

Apologies sir. BAC obviously won't actually sterilize it, but should keep it sterilized. Especially if you use it right away. Not sure what iso is...

Also, found this for you:

"Dry heat can be used to sterilize items, but as the heat takes much longer to be transferred to the organism, both the time and the temperature must usually be increased, unless forced ventilation of the hot air is used. The standard setting for a hot air oven is at least two hours at 160 °C (320 °F). A rapid method heats air to 190 °C (374 °F) for 6 minutes for unwrapped objects and 12 minutes for wrapped objects.[8][9] Dry heat has the advantage that it can be used on powders and other heat-stable items that are adversely affected by steam (for instance, it does not cause rusting of steel objects)."

Looks like 2 hours is correct.

I thought you meant bacteriostatic, my bad. Benzyl does not sterilize, it prevents additional growth. The isopropyl should work, used in conjunction with baking. If I remember correctly there are some proteins and viruses isopropyl won't kill. I know it is not considered safe for sterilization for say... surgical instruments, or even piercing / tattoo instruments.

im gonna look that up and see what is best for surgical instruments. im gonna go ahead and is the iso, iv never had a problem using it in the past but good info. is there any other good ways of sterilizing gear?

The best way, and I guess easiest is dry heat. I know if you get things professionally done, they use basically like a pressurized UV incubator machine (I forget what it's called) and then put them in sterile packaging.

Boiling will also work, but I don't think is as effective as baking. I think the best way for you, assuming you're doing this at home, is wash with iso, then bake @ 350 for 2 hours, let it cool, rinse with ba, use right after. Definitely look up protocols for surgical equipment. That's a sure fire way to know you've sterilized 100%.

Back