Anorexia and steroids? doctor is crazy?

lethargic

I'm a male and just curious, I went to my doctor recently, and got blood test's, and he decided to put me on testosterone.. not knowing anything really about this i researched and realized it's a steroid, i never even knew this, didn't know where to go to post this but, if i'm already underweight and male , why would he put me on this? i understand you can gain muscle easier, but if i don't eat that much and take "testosterone"

what would it really do? confused as to why he would do this, i have an appointment next week to get it, IF i want, i just want more insight, it sounds like a bad idea, injecting things in me, i'm going to ask him quite a few questions but i'm still surprised he went this route

Not that he told me, no

Im confused as to why anorexia is in the title of your post.

If you are diagnosed hypogonadal then you need to be treated for it by injecting testosterone. If you were diagnosed with diabetes you would need to be treated by injecting insulin.

Testosterone is a hormone that the male body requires. When people use it as a steroid they use much, much more than your doctor will prescribe you.

It's in the title because I'm anorexic? Like I said in my first post, it won't let me quote anyone? I said no to the hypogonadism carp, I'm just anorexic and he's trying to prescribe it when I think it's not necessary, nothing else

Very interesting post, but a touch confusing ( at least for me). There's some great guys on here who want to give you good advice. Can you answer a couple questions, to help me and a few others understand this?. :)
(1) Have you been diagnosed as anorexic?
(2) Has the doctor done a blood test for testosterone. If so what was the number?
(3) Was there any other blood tests, that might help explain why testosterone was suggested?

Testosterone is a Controlled Substance and as such, doctors do not like to prescribe without a really good reason. Was it prescribed? Or did he say that maybe it might fix you problem? Can you give us a little more info?

Just speculating, but Dr. possibly prescribed testosterone for sarcopenia and isn't up to date on ASIH.

EDIT: I guess muscle wasting isn't sarcopenia unless it's age related. What I meant was muscle wasting associated with anorexia, whatever that is called.

EDIT: I think this is a relevant publication:

1: Sabel AL, Rosen E, Mehler PS. Severe anorexia nervosa in males: clinical
presentations and medical treatment. Eat Disord. 2014;22(3):209-20. doi:
10.1080/10640266.2014.890459. Epub 2014 Mar 11. PubMed PMID: 24617335.

Last edited:
If your not suffering from low t and your anorexic send me that test and go eat a few cheeseburgers
Or take the test and eat some cheeseburgers either way is good

not getting enough fat in your diet will cause a guy to have low T. Low T will make you depressed tired and weak, among other things

Eat more fats, or plan on taking that steroid that scares you so much.

I was diagnosed with low t at age 22, took me years for a doc to prescribe test cyp at. 3mls (so 75mgs every other week) it was bull shit...... Long story short, can I get the name of your doctor?

Back