Are you getting the full biological effect of testosterone when on SERM's ?

Atlaz

As someone who is currently taking a Serm I am not feeling the full effects of the treatment. Does the bellow theory hold some truth?

" This is an interesting question since it has been observed by many SERM users that the subjective physical response one gets from a SERM often does not correlate with the measured substantial increase in circulating testosterone. In other words, you don***8217;t feel the same when your blood testosterone is doubled by taking a SERM as compared to when it is doubled by a testosterone injection or testosterone gel. Why is that?

There are some theories. Number one, SERMs may act as estrogen antagonists in the brain and it is well known that many of the effects of testosterone upon libido and mood are due to its local conversion to DHT as well as estrogen (estradiol) in the CNS. Therefore blocking the effects of estrogen upon key levels of the brain may blunt the psychological response one would expect from testosterone.

SERMs also are known to act as estrogen agonists (active estrogens) in the liver. This can have a couple of relevant effects. First of all, estrogens strongly promote the production of sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG). This protein circulates in your blood and irreversibly binds to sex hormones such as testosterone, rendering them inactive. So with a SERM you may have high total testosterone levels but actual bioactive testosterone may not be so high.

Another consequence of SERM estrogen agonist action in the liver is suppression of IGF-1 production. IGF-1 is a systemic hormone responsible for whole body anabolism and it is produced in the liver under the positive influence of growth hormone, as well as other hormones such as insulin, thyroid hormone, and androgens. Estrogens on the other hand suppress IGF-1 production in the liver. In a recent study* it was directly demonstrated that administration of either tamoxifen or raloxifene to males increased LH and testosterone levels (as expected).

However they also significantly reduced circulating IGF-1 production. Given the fact that it is well demonstrated that exogenous administration of testosterone increases IGF-1 levels in the blood you begin to see that this may be a big part of the SERM testosterone mystery. Systemic IGF-1 levels may not do much for contractile muscle tissue growth but they can lead to overall body composition changes and increases in bodyweight. The difference between the suppressed IGF-1 state (compared to control) of the SERM user to the heightened IGF-1 state (compared to control) of the exogenous testosterone user may indeed be quite profound."

I find this information useful to have laying around the forum for future reference.

I can only share anecdotal information. A lot of guys doing TRT with SERMs don't seem to feel as good as they do when injecting testosterone even with similar TT levels. I don't know the reason why.

Well, a SERM blocks the receptors right, for estrogen?
But the testosterone is still converted and flushing in the blood stream, could it not still bind to SHBG?

Ive run on 1400TT - 50Estradiol and eventually feel ALOT better at 600TT - 30Estradiol
Now that could be because the estrogen, but i would assume that to high levels of testosterone is even bad.

Nolvadex is likewise toxic, liver toxic, and not natural.. so it would make sense that a person feels abit more shitty

Well, a SERM blocks the receptors right, for estrogen?
But the testosterone is still converted and flushing in the blood stream, could it not still bind to SHBG?

Ive run on 1400TT - 50Estradiol and eventually feel ALOT better at 600TT - 30Estradiol
Now that could be because the estrogen, but i would assume that to high levels of testosterone is even bad.

Nolvadex is likewise toxic, liver toxic, and not natural.. so it would make sense that a person feels abit more shitty

Normally one does not reach supraphysiological TT levels when running a SERM alone.

I never felt consistent benefits of SERMs, and stayed on one for three straight years. Brought my TT to 800-900, but took 1.25mg of ADEX a week to control estrogen. Also brought my SHBG up to 50. Every time I tried to get off, I just crashed again.

Last edited:
I never felt consistent benefits of SERMs, and stayed on one for three straight years. Brought my TT to 800-900, but took 1.25mg of ADEX a week to control estrogen. Also brought my SHBG up to 50. Every time I tried to get off, I just crashed again.

Are you on injections now? If so what difference have you seen between Serm and injections?

Are you on injections now? If so what difference have you seen between Serm and injections?

Serms, both Clomid and Nolva, suppressed my libido 100%. Zero libido even on the lowest doses possible. Despite high levels of T, was unable to build much muscle. Found it extremely hard to manage estrogen and was always either high or low... on a SERM you are removing the negative feedback of estrogen on the pituitary. The AI was supposed to fight that, but it was a constant struggle as sometimes my SERM induced TT was 600, sometimes it was 900. Estrogen closely followed that eb and flow, which was tough to fight. Without some consistency, you can't get the AI dose right. High anxiety for years.

I am on Test Cyp injections now + HCG + AI if needed. I have a libido most of the time, can build muscle like a mad man, have more energy, sleep better, improved mood, improved alpha male status, improved well being, more consistent results.

I think SERMs are excellent for a restart, but not long term. I successfully restarted via Nolvadex/Tamoxifen twice, each time lasting about 3 years. The third crash - if I could do it all over again - I would have stop hanging on to the hope of a SERM about 3 months into treatment and just started TRT. Instead I suffered three more years. Have been on TRT 1.5 years now and would never look back.

-Jim

Last edited:
However they also significantly reduced circulating IGF-1 production. Given the fact that it is well demonstrated that exogenous administration of testosterone increases IGF-1 levels in the blood you begin to see that this may be a big part of the SERM testosterone mystery. Systemic IGF-1 levels may not do much for contractile muscle tissue growth but they can lead to overall body composition changes and increases in bodyweight. The difference between the suppressed IGF-1 state (compared to control) of the SERM user to the heightened IGF-1 state (compared to control) of the exogenous testosterone user may indeed be quite profound."

Is it possible to provide a reference for the "significant" reduction in IGF-1?

Last edited:
Is it possible to provide a reference for the "significant" reduction in IGF-1?

For the discussion...

I checked my labs - I had IGF-1 measured on 5/13/2011 before starting SERM. 373 (88-374 Quest Range).

Had IGF-1 measured again, three years later, about a month after stopping SERM treatment on 5/3/2014. 207 (98-282 Labcorp Range).

Although it was a bit lower, I am not sure that wasn't just the eb and flow of my body. The second number is after three straight years of a SERM. Lower yes, but I'm not sure I would call it significant. Maybe :) Unfortunately I don't have any recent data on it to see if it climbed again.

Last edited:
For the discussion...

I checked my labs - I had IGF-1 measured on 5/13/2011 before starting SERM. 373 (88-374 Quest Range).

Had IGF-1 measured again, three years later, about a month after stopping SERM treatment on 5/3/2014. 207 (98-282 Labcorp Range).

Although it was a bit lower, I am not sure that wasn't just the eb and flow of my body. The second number is after three straight years of a SERM. Lower yes, but I'm not sure I would call it significant. Maybe :) Unfortunately I don't have any recent data on it to see if it climbed again.

A lot can change in 3 years. I would be hesitant to fully attribute the decline to the SERMs.

I know I've linked this before, and honestly don't remember the source, but as I'm on my laptop and have it - might as well share it again as it bears relevance. :)

sl1YFcv.png

Estradiol is an AGONIST to IGF-1 as is testosterone (3x greater influence), not the other way around. Of course, these values are still not vastly significant, but I really wanted to touch on that. SERMs in general have other side effects that often influence mental conditions outside their intended use. This is part of the reason why they often really aren't suited for long-term replacement therapy.

My .02c :)

Back