Bottle Top Filter Question - Split ?

PeterSmallton

hey guys, first time filtering with a bottle top filter system

I’ve noticed, underneath the top unit ( the disposable bottle top unit) its cracked in a couple of area's, and liquid is pooling underneath, not much to even form 1 droplet, but its there

Also when you look down into the unit, the filter paper has cuts / splits in the paper, is this normal ?
My hand pump pressure gage says its in HG, and I’m doing 5. So i think that’s only 2-3psi.

Thoughts?

upped the pressure a bit to 7-10 HG, now ive got a crack in the plastic receiver, farrrk, gonna have to do it it.

must be in PSI and not HG, or those plastic ones are really really chit, yes i was warned.

ill re filter, and hopefully the disposable top unit doest have cuts / splits this time aswell

I re filtered at 3-4 psi, all good, except the filter still had splits when you look down into it, is this normal ??

thanks guys

Last edited:
I dunno what you mean by it has splits. But when you up the psi a little the filter will kinda form to the grating that its pressed up against. If the filter itself has holes or splits in it and the oil is flowing through it with no problem, you need a new filter. Most bottle tops will have 3 holes when it goes through the filter and into the receiver. The plastic rwcievers crack pretty easily so you cant pump the psi too much. Even though its 100x faster then syringe filters it sometimes takes 10-20 min to get done. Hope this was helpful.

I dunno what you mean by it has splits. But when you up the psi a little the filter will kinda form to the grating that its pressed up against. If the filter itself has holes or splits in it and the oil is flowing through it with no problem, you need a new filter. Most bottle tops will have 3 holes when it goes through the filter and into the receiver. The plastic rwcievers crack pretty easily so you cant pump the psi too much. Even though its 100x faster then syringe filters it sometimes takes 10-20 min to get done. Hope this was helpful.

so when you look into the bottletop at the beginning, you see a white .20 filter, looks like a white piece of paper, no marks on it at all.

i then put the oil in the top, it starts dripping down, and its like youve gotten a small razor blade and put in some small slits in the filter paper, maybe about 6-8 slits, all around the paper, even slits.

its a nalgene by the way.

does that sound ok ?

or should the filter paper remain unslit for the whole process?

It shouldn't be split. The paper should stay whole and in tact

this is not good at all then, ive ran it through a Nalgene twice now with both time slits, any idea on what i could be doing wrong, i simply pour the oil in, start the hand pump on low psi and it starts forming slits in the filter paper, pretty much straight away

Take a pic of it.

tried taking some photos but you cant see the slits / cracks from my camera

i drew a pic, they are in straight lines, about half a mm thick

how could i be doing this wrong... really dont want to hand syringe filter the whole batch, but at the same time don't want a abscess

Last edited:
Those aren't slits, they're channels for the oil to flow through under the filter. If it was cut oil would just pour through. Also, get a glass media bottle. They're $6 and you can run the vccuum up to 17 and not have to deal with cracking.

Those aren't slits, they're channels for the oil to flow through under the filter. If it was cut oil would just pour through. Also, get a glass media bottle. They're $6 and you can run the vccuum up to 17 and not have to deal with cracking.

thanks heaps ChrisWho! legend

Back