cracked plastic

hope

hey all, first post but long-time lurker.

so my first experiment with homebrewing came out so-so. I think I nailed the proper ratio of ingredients, got everything into solution perfectly and I used "Nalgene Complete Filter Units with Nylon Membranes" with a brake bleeder pump from harbor freight.

Everything was smooth except I think we were using too much pressure because the plastic bottles started cracking under pressure. We were only using about 15 pounds and from what I've read this is an acceptable amount. But both filters we bought ended up cracking.

One of the filters I think started coming apart. the test prop we were brewing in it came out really full of sediment, and not hormone looking- but like lil bits of tissue.

Thankfully I had a couple syringe filters and we just filtered a few bottles again to use until we can re-filter everything. I know there's some loss there though but what can you do?

So my question to you guys is - how many of you use a vacuum pump to brew and how much pressure should I be using and what brand did you buy? I was thinking that buying a glass bottom would prevent this from happening again but the filter was still starting to die because of the pressure so maybe we need to just go with less pressure and it will take longer.

anyone have this happen to them?

Back