Cross Fit and Rich Froning Jr.

Revelation Genetics

Limitless Potential - Pro
What's up fellaz,

Being bodybuilding Juice Heads I'm sure you keep up with all the latest news on Power Lifting meets and Bodybuilding Competitions and ESPN. I was wondering if any of you kept up with Cross Fit and what you guys think about it?

Not just that but what about this Rich Froning Jr.? How many of you think his claims of never having taken Anabolic Steroids is actually true? There are time's I'll see him and he'll be of decent size, and other times, more toward the off season he isn't a monster compared to a lot of the bodybuilding/power lifting community but he is dramatically larger. And guys, before you say anything about gaining weight in the off season if you notice even then he still is very vascular and what I see is a Juicer. I could be wrong but I'm on the fences about him. Opinions?

My only thing with Cross Fit is that, the reps they do, to me, are cheat reps but instead all of their reps and sets are cheat reps. Pull-Ups, swinging like a monkey and no real rep if you ask me, which you didn't. Just my two cents. It's not that I'm bashing, I'm not and a lot of those guys are pretty ripped up. Also, Cross Fit pull ups is not just the only thing I see as Cheat Reps or Sets or just as an entire exercise in which all the reps they do are meant to be cheated on. Lol. I may not be grasping the point of reps like that, I just look at it like I do guys in the gym who obviously are doing things completely Bass Ackwards.

Anyway, thoughts people, thoughts...

I know this is thought of as a site for Bodybuilders or Power Lifters. At least that is how I look at it, for what reason I do not know why but, being Cross Fit even though you don't hear about that much here, steroids I would think is also a big part of the game. Even in Cross Fit. Hence I would think this an acceptable topic here on the Forums!

-Rev

I think its a thing for hipsters.....like bringing your laptop to Starbucks while you sip your overpriced latte. Even though you dont have any work to do on your computer and dont even like lattes.

The only benefit i see crossfit giving you is some cardiovasular activity. A small amount of muscle MIGHT be able to be built, but the fashion they perform the exercises they do in isnt going to help in regards to building muscle and is a recipe for getting hurt....muscle tears, joint damage, and possibly falling on you face while doing those ridiculous swinging chin up things they do.

I think its dangerous and provides very little benefit physically for whoever does it.

But, if thats something someone likes and enjoys Im not one to bash them.

Last edited:
Here's the problem with trying to judge whether or not someone outside the bb community uses AAS; they don't train for hypertrophy. Look at the marathon runners and bicyclists that have been busted, very few are large by our standards.

I personally think crossfit is a bastardization of what real cross training once was, and it's only successful because obese couch potatoes want a new shiny sport to discuss while on their laptop at Starbucks lol.

With proper attention to form I believe it's best application would be for offseason sport specific training. In most of those cases muscle size is not a priority but rather strength, speed, co-ordination, ect that you just won't get with a bodybuilding program. often times what you end up seeing though is relative newbies performing compound movements to exhaustion for time. It's no wonder the injury rate is so high.

Oh yeah and they always leave those kettlebells lying around :uzi:

Last edited:
The problem with Crossfit, is the inclusion of a stopwatch.
Take each of their exercises individually, and done without time constraints, they'll be good exercises.
But as soon as you string them together, ask for multiple repetitions, and then include a stopwatch, the result is rushed technique, hideous form and injuries.
Take that kipping pull up for example. When crossfit began, this wasn't a recognised exercise... but as people got faster and pushed the boundaries, the chin then became a butterfly chin, this then became a kipping pull-up... the judges have just had to adapt, and to make it acceptable, they gave it a name.
On a recent physio visit, my clinician told me that over 30% of his patients are crossfitters, many with severe shoulder issues.
There is no doubt that when an exercise is rushed with poor technique, with high repetitions, it becomes destructive.

On the plus side, anything that gets a sedentary individual off the sofa, and lifting weights, is good.

But to start crossfit, after no background in 'good' lifting, is a recipe for disaster. As one should know how to perform any exercise correctly before rushing it.

As a PT, I am forever correcting bad form from clients who used to crossfit, and now want to grow some muscle.

The problem with Crossfit, is the inclusion of a stopwatch.
Take each of their exercises individually, and done without time constraints, they'll be good exercises.
But as soon as you string them together, ask for multiple repetitions, and then include a stopwatch, the result is rushed technique, hideous form and injuries.
Take that kipping pull up for example. When crossfit began, this wasn't a recognised exercise... but as people got faster and pushed the boundaries, the chin then became a butterfly chin, this then became a kipping pull-up... the judges have just had to adapt, and to make it acceptable, they gave it a name.
On a recent physio visit, my clinician told me that over 30% of his patients are crossfitters, many with severe shoulder issues.
There is no doubt that when an exercise is rushed with poor technique, with high repetitions, it becomes destructive.

On the plus side, anything that gets a sedentary individual off the sofa, and lifting weights, is good.

But to start crossfit, after no background in 'good' lifting, is a recipe for disaster. As one should know how to perform any exercise correctly before rushing it.

As a PT, I am forever correcting bad form from clients who used to crossfit, and now want to grow some muscle.

Pretty much took the words right out of my mouth.

My shoulder surgeon also reported a large influx of patients who've been injured as a result of crossfit.

Crossfit can certainly be a little silly at times, but there's no denying that the guys who compete at the crossfit games are doing some really impressive stuff.

So.... I'm going to start with Froning and say that "yes" I personally believe he's juicing, he trains his ass off, and he's also a tremendously talented athlete. There was a video somewhere where he talked of gaining far too much weight on his recent creatine cycle as they video him trying to shed some weight via cardio while riding the bike. I called bullshit on that the second he uttered those words. I'm also quite confident that he knew when he was going to be tested - but again, those are my opinions and aren't based on any insider info. As for cross fit, I think if it gets people off of their asses, and becomes the catalyst to get sedentary people moving their bodies, if performed and coached properly, it's a fantastic thing. I will also say that if your desired outcome is to be a more well rounded athlete, and not just big, it's a superior science than body building. Again, if movements are performed properly. I personally, do a blend of both as a means to make myself better at my sport - and feel there is a blend of both that makes me the best athletic version of me possible

Last edited:
Another very dangerous/hazardous thing associated with crossfit is the many males that have their hair done up in buns. Thats a big risk to your health and wellness.

I called bullshit on that the second he uttered those words. I'm also quite confident that he knew when he was going to be tested - but again, those are my opinions and aren't based on any insider info

At this still relatively new stage, Crossfit can't afford their biggest 'hero' to be tarred with the scandal of an AAS accusation.
The testers will be wary about the destruction that a positive test would do to the sport - I have no doubt about that.

A guy I work with who played golf as his exercise tells me he is gonna do crossfit. He tells me because he knows I workout. I told him not to and told him why. Then I told him what to do first and then maybe try crossfit later. A few months later his knee and his shoulder are jacked up! Now he cant even play golf.

The "man bun" thing is a rant all by itself. Half the younger guys where I train have these things. Considering keeping a pair on scissors in my gym bag...

Brother, its ridiculous. Same thing for a while at the gym I train at. Then one day they all vanished.

I never even saw a 'man bun' then they were everywhere like an epidemic!!!

Hahah. Creep up behind a guy and 'snip'! Lol

First thing is I do believe he is on steroids. The amount that they train for someone to do naturally is highly unlikely. Especially when you look at his numbers on the lifts and the intensity there constantly training at. There are some good articles on t-nation about crossfit and steroids. Any high level competition with a lot of money will bring in drugs to do better. Not that this makes him a bad person, just that everyone is doing it so if you want to win you have to join the club. As for Crossfit I think its a great sport. Anything that keeps people motivated in the gym and coming back for more is good. Obviously it has its ups and downs (like the kipping pull up) or the high chance of injury. But over all its a good sport and keeps people going back to the gym.

Back