Custom clean booth

say someone would make a small plexiglass hub with a 8'' inch space in front for the hands, with a positive airflow that is filtered with a hepa filter and a UV-C light that is in the air duct would that make a decent clean environement for storing/working with sterilized tool and container?

That would work for the most part. You can never be too sterile (well from a using level no, but from a financial level yes). And remember that this will not sterilize anything only help to keep it that way. It is not 100% fool proof. Also I would not use this type of design for storage only usage.

There are a few tips/tricks when using a flow hood such as you have described:

First off you need a proper sized fan to move the air. "Hepa" filters is a term used very loosely by companies these days so make sure it actually is able to filter out the size particles that could cause trouble. Multiple levels of filters helps especially a pre-filter. Also treat the flow hood with lysol spray (just sprayable rubbing alcohol for surfaces) and the room with oust (for air not surfaces) then allow that to settle and dry. You want zero drafts from central air/fan/your own movements. And the way you position your hands should always be to the side or behind the object you are working with never in between the object and flow hood.

If you want to go through with using a design like this I highly suggest you check out mycology (mushroom growing) books/forums as there is a ton of info out there. Anything from a simple glove-box to a professional flow hood is much better than open air as long as they are used properly (to assist against but not prevent contamination).

This also goes without saying but a very clean room is a good starting point. No fabrics that can hold particles like drapes/carpet/rugs. All that has to go. Plastic liners on the walls make it easy to spray down with 10% bleach solution before you get started. And an air-lock or anti chamber prior to the "lab" is a nice touch. Sorry I'm just daydreaming about a nice home lab setup.

Good info will definitly check out the mycology forum/book, yeah air sash would be wicked haha

Yeah i know :) was just wondering if there was something that we can do relatively cheap that will improve sterility.. Say you autoclave your vial/stopper in pouch, then put them in the vented booth unpouch and fill / cap under the hood so it stay sterile... Something along those line.. the heated brew and filter would be outside and vaccumed in the hood since the airflow is uv treated and pass multiple hepa filter and the booth is in positive pressure i would suppose no particle would go in the vial before it is capped..

Back