Diet Bad Days

Neir305

I'm on a very clean high calorie diet. The point of this is to gain muscle and lose fat. How badly would it set me back to go for dinner to somewhere like perkins and have a chicken tender melt and fries once a week?

very beneficial, you need to allow your body one cheat meal. it shocks your body and helps you progress. just once a week!! and one meal not all day cheating!

A cheat meal is good every once in a while, but if you are going to cheat please reward yourself with something better than Perkins.

You definately need a cheat meal or two throughout the week. Without a cheat meal,etc. you can just go absolutely nuts.

Is there any proof behind the idea of a cheat meal helping your system out? Any articles or anything?

Neir305 said:
Is there any proof behind the idea of a cheat meal helping your system out? Any articles or anything?

I would say that it probably helps when someone is starting to get overtrained and over dieted. People who are bulking do not need a cheat meal because they should be enjoying what they are eating.

Neir305 said:
I dunno but I've always read that you should throw a cheat meal in.

hannan420 said:
I dunno but I've always read that you should throw a cheat meal in.
I think that's his point... people just repeat the same thing they hear over and over and noone ever provides any studies or evidence.

Just another example of brotelligence. :D

CSK said:
I think that's his point... people just repeat the same thing they hear over and over and noone ever provides any studies or evidence.

Just another example of brotelligence. :D
I think it is to keep you saine more than anything. Break things up a little.

hannan420 said:
I think it is to keep you saine more than anything. Break things up a little.

There are basically two different attitudes towards food. One is unhealthy and one is healthy. Either you eat to live or you learn to make eating part of your social and pleasurable life. Some people feed and some people dine, those who feed have an unhealthy attitude towards food, those who dine understand that food is more than feeding oneself, it is social, pleasurable, and therefore not something someone should ever skimp on. Eating delicious, nutritious food in the company of good friends is one of the best things in life, that is why I cannot understand how McDonalds stays in business--they do not serve food.

Cheating is unnecessary unless you are torturing yourself by eating unappetizing food, then it is necessary to preserve one's sanity.

This is a snipet from this link, you may want to read the whole thing...

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/qa/afc/afc_jan032003.htm

Here's another interesting piece of information. Despite what many will write about increasing the metabolism during an overfeed, Duloo et al (2001) discuss the paradox of overfeeding in those who seem to get a metabolic upregulation but also a concurrent increase in fat mass. Although the sympathetic nervous system sends signals to increase metabolism (called non-specific control of thermogenesis) and dissipate energy, there's a level of adipose-specific control that's energy conserving. Often, during overfeeding, many individuals experience a high efficiency of fat recovery co-existing with an overall state of enhanced thermogenesis and hypermetabolism. This means that even though the metabolism will go up, the adipose tissues will preferentially store fat.

Cheat Meal

PERKINS????

If I am going to cheat it is going to be me hunkered down over a bucket of Popeyes Famous Fried Chicken with Cajun Rice, Red Beans and Rice and biscuits.

Neir305 said:
I'm on a very clean high calorie diet. The point of this is to gain muscle and lose fat. How badly would it set me back to go for dinner to somewhere like perkins and have a chicken tender melt and fries once a week?
As a rule I would always allow myself 1 cheat day a week which I could eat anything I wanted that day. Pizza, fried chicken, chocolate whatever. It kept me sane. If you've dieted well 6 days out of the week you should'nt feel guilty for that one day of splurging. After just one day your body wont have time to store any of it as fat anyway.

Back