eating and work

airbull

im sure most of you can simply pack your lunches for work. but i can't im a college student and work at texas roadhouse in the kitchen tossing salads :yumyum: yes im the salad boy haha. (pays the bills) we are very busy a lot of the time so i can only munch on lettuce dipped in dressing, croutons. and an occasional fry. i do however sometimes get left over chicken critters etc..

keep in mind im 160 pounds and am bulking. any advice on what i should do?

im sure most of you can simply pack your lunches for work. but i can't im a college student and work at texas roadhouse in the kitchen tossing salads :yumyum: yes im the salad boy haha. (pays the bills) we are very busy a lot of the time so i can only munch on lettuce dipped in dressing, croutons. and an occasional fry. i do however sometimes get left over chicken critters etc..

keep in mind im 160 pounds and am bulking. any advice on what i should do?

Not ideal, but a better than nothing:

- 1 cup oatmeal (can grind in blender to make it a powder)
- 1 scoop whey
- 20oz milk
- 2tbsp peanut/almond butter
- banana or honey if you want extra flavor

You just bring it all in a blender bottle to work. No issues.

Then bring a real meal for your lunch break.

Not ideal, but a better than nothing:

- 1 cup oatmeal (can grind in blender to make it a powder)
- 1 scoop whey
- 20oz milk
- 2tbsp peanut/almond butter
- banana or honey if you want extra flavor

You just bring it all in a blender bottle to work. No issues.

Then bring a real meal for your lunch break.

i was actually thinking of this when i finished my OP. oh yeah i forgot to mention i get no breaks :shoot3:

no flame to the OP but

no breaks, minimum wage and cant eat.

ugh im glad i skipped college

haha i hear that. hopefully being in school assures me in never being in the position in the future.

But...thats about all i could do huh. maybe take some baggies of chicken, shakes etc. this sucks

The information about not eating after a workout is completely wrong. Every responsible source in bodybuilding and athletics recommends that you eat after training, and preferably within 45 minutes (maybe up to 60) after a workout. This period, known as the golden hour, is when the muscles absorb the most nutrients and when glycogen, an energy reserve in your muscles, is replaced most efficiently. The actual composition of the post-workout meal is a matter of some debate; for optimal glycogen replacement, most people recommend carbohydrates, but a certain amount of protein (at least 10 percent of the meal) is needed for muscle repair and growth.

I think the above recommendation is a good general guideline for athletes, but for weight management you probably have to go higher in protein and lower in carbs. You don't have to eat a big meal, but you should eat something after training. Lots of people get good results with a small, high-protein shake -- just beware of the extremely high sugar and carb content of juice-based smoothies. Experiment with the amount of food or drink and with the proportions of carbs, protein and fat to find out what works best for you.

Perhaps what the trainers at your gym are trying to emphasize is the need to moderate carbohydrate intake in a weight-loss program. They correctly want to see you become a "better butter burner," that is, someone whose metabolism burns fat faster and more efficiently. That is best accomplished by eating a nutritionally dense, low-calorie diet that offers a balance of protein, high-quality fat and the right kind of carbohydrates. This will keep your hormones balanced and your fat-burning machinery working optimally. I agree that you shouldn't load up on carbs and fat after a workout, but the idea of not eating anything at all for two hours after working out is balderdash.

spine surgeons california"]spine surgeons california

The information about not eating after a workout is completely wrong. Every responsible source in bodybuilding and athletics recommends that you eat after training, and preferably within 45 minutes (maybe up to 60) after a workout. This period, known as the golden hour, is when the muscles absorb the most nutrients and when glycogen, an energy reserve in your muscles, is replaced most efficiently. The actual composition of the post-workout meal is a matter of some debate; for optimal glycogen replacement, most people recommend carbohydrates, but a certain amount of protein (at least 10 percent of the meal) is needed for muscle repair and growth.

I think the above recommendation is a good general guideline for athletes, but for weight management you probably have to go higher in protein and lower in carbs. You don't have to eat a big meal, but you should eat something after training. Lots of people get good results with a small, high-protein shake -- just beware of the extremely high sugar and carb content of juice-based smoothies. Experiment with the amount of food or drink and with the proportions of carbs, protein and fat to find out what works best for you.

Perhaps what the trainers at your gym are trying to emphasize is the need to moderate carbohydrate intake in a weight-loss program. They correctly want to see you become a "better butter burner," that is, someone whose metabolism burns fat faster and more efficiently. That is best accomplished by eating a nutritionally dense, low-calorie diet that offers a balance of protein, high-quality fat and the right kind of carbohydrates. This will keep your hormones balanced and your fat-burning machinery working optimally. I agree that you shouldn't load up on carbs and fat after a workout, but the idea of not eating anything at all for two hours after working out is balderdash.

spine surgeons california"]spine surgeons california

:ugh: YOU may want to reread the thread!

Back