Gathering info, sharing my story. long post from a recent diagnosed low t guy

To describe my first week on hormone replacement I must compare it to an old car firing up for the first time in years. I was trying to get my life restarted, I got my first injection and then started sputtering to life. I'm far from fixed, jacked or even normal, but I have small glimpses of hope.

I've had a small increase in sex drive, I've been a little more interested in things I used to enjoy, like working on cars, and I've had a touch more energy. I even did some physical work without hating every second of it last week. My changes are nothing like some have described long term, but it's only my first week, I didn't expect anything and was pleasantly surprised.

Tonight I did my first self injection. It was supposed to be tomorrow around noon to be right on the week, I didn't think 13 hours early would have made a whole lot of difference.

I had to travel to my client's location this week, so I've been completely on my own in a hotel room in the middle of nowhere. I'm going to be honest, I have been dreading this this I realized I would be completely alone for my first self injection.

All day long I've been thinking about tomorrow. I knew the closer I got the more distracted I would be, and that's not good for a business owner spending the day with a very important client. So on my way back to the hotel today I decided I'm doing it tonight.

I sat in the chair, shaking I cleaned the bottle. I injected air in the bottle and waited for the syringe to fill while my anxiety grew. "What if I hit a vein?? What if I really screw up and hit the bone? Or that nerve everyone talks about?!"

I removed the draw needle and screwed on the injection needle. I felt my leg, flexed the muscle and found my target. Cleaned with an alcohol pad, then wondered if I cleaned well enough. So I did it again. Let's be honest, I was scared and I was delaying.

I took the cap off the injection needle. I saw a video that said pushing a drop out will lube the needle, so I did that. I aimed at my target, and couldn't bring myself to dart. I slowly moved the needle towards my leg waiting to feel it contact the skin. My plan was to get to that point, take a breath and go. To my surprise the needle bottomed out before I felt a thing. I was amazed, I didn't feel any sensation of the needle.

So now this needle is in my leg, I remember to aspirate. I pull up on the plunger and no blood. I think to myself "did I pull hard enough?" So I tried again. Still no blood. Convinced that the needle is where it should be I start pushing. Uneventfully the oil flows into my leg.

I pulled the needle out and kinda blanked on what I was supposed to do, I was so damn nervous about getting the thing in I didn't pay enough attention to finishing up. I had a little oil flow back out of the site before I got my band aid and pressure on it. The bandage has a drop of blood on it, but next to none. I've had zits bleed more.

I need to review the end section of protocol, I remember reading about what to do if the oil flows out, but I don't recall what I was supposed to do. I really don't think the drop that escaped was all that much in the big scheme, but I don't want to make a habit of leaking.

Tl;dr: newb uneventful gives himself his first injection.

I wanted to share the whole story because other people's stories of first injection helped me a lot. I hope mine could as well. Thanks to everyone who posted their story.

I just did my second at home injection, 3rd total. I feel a lot better overall, but i don't think i'm there yet. I also learned today that my blood, visual and biopsy all tested positive for Celiac disease. So now I need to figure out gluten free life.

I used to need a coffee to wake up, and after lunch time I would need more caffeine to make it through the day. My choice was a monster rehab. I don't feel like i need the caffeine at all anymore, and the energy drinks now turn my stomach. I still like my morning coffee though.

I'm far more focused with work. A definite bonus for the self employed. Especially with a new project and tight deadlines.

I am back to my friendly self, talking to people and not struggling to find words nearly as often. This is huge for me, for a while i would be mid conversation and suddenly forget the entire english language.

I had a business trip last week and had a great time meeting people, selling my business and generally feeling great. I spent a lot of time with execs of the company I service. Instead of cowering in the corner trying not to make eye contact i was right in the front of the conversation. Felt good to be me again.

Today's injection went smooth. I tried to get my RN wife to do it for me, but she gave me the eyeroll and "suck it up sissy" look. I retreated to the bedroom and stabbed myself. No issues at all this time, less than 5 minutes for the entire process, no pain. The needle was my biggest fear, it's not anymore.

I haven't had the "kickstand" effect that some describe, we'll have to see what this week brings. not a lot of changes to report "down under", but i'm cool with that since i was alone in a hotel all last week

I'm also far more motivated to do things. My truck needs a wheel bearing and i'm looking forward to getting out to the garage to fix it.

Back