Gathering info, sharing my story. long post from a recent diagnosed low t guy

vinny536

Hello,

This is long. I've put my questions and pertinent info in bold incase you aren't interested in my back story and details.

For as long as I can remember I've had all the symptoms of "Low T". I didn't know it was a condition until those commercials started a few years ago. When they aired I thought to myself that it's all a marketing ploy to sell a product and the symptoms were so vague it could apply to everyone. I wasn't falling for their tricks!

Fast forward a few years, I still feel like shit. Fatigued from the time I open my eyes, the idea of doing *anything* just isn't appealing, never losing fat no matter how clean I eat or hard I work, lost interest in all the things I used to love, can't concentrate, it feels like I'm in mud when I try to move, etc. Over the years I've been put on some antidepressants that didn't do much improvement, some made things even worse. I've seen dietitians and trainers. When I had no results the dietitians said my diet was good and blamed physical activity, the trainers blamed the diet. Both got silent when I told them what the other was doing and saying.

I went to the doc to make sure my thyroid levels weren't out of whack since I've felt worse lately. Over the last few years I've moved a lot, so I haven't had a long term relationship with a doc in a few years. I've been on 50MCG of thyroxine for about 2 years now. I mentioned wanting my testosterone levels checked as well, even saying that I felt it was an over marketed condition. I wrongly expected a doc to have mentioned this by now with all my symptoms if loe t "was really a thing". Obviously that was a bad assumption...

When the results came in I wasn't really surprised to learn my testosterone was low. I'm at 158 ng/dl. The rest of the labs I have will be posted at the end. Yes, I know there are some vital numbers absent right this second

The doc was concerned because I was slightly anemic, so I've started an iron supplementation. I also have elevated ALT (liver) numbers, so he referred me to a gastro doc. When it came to test he said I needed to be cleared by the gastro doc before we start injections because the injections will elevate my liver numbers.

I'm not really happy with this doc overall, but after reading horror stories on the internet about people not getting treatment I'll stick with him for a little while longer. This depends on the course of action he takes with the injections, if he is hard lined on injections too far apart then I'll have to move on. I do like that he went right to saying injections, not recommending cream, pellets etc. to start.

I'm not thrilled with the idea of injecting myself forever, but I've accepted it's my reality. If I continue to be morbidly obese I'll be injecting insulin before long anyway. Whoever posted the comparison of insulin to testosterone really changed how I think of the treatment, and thanks for that.

After reading other peoples before and after stories I'm very hopeful I'll get my life back with this med. Seeing the low numbers on paper makes me wonder how long I've been low. I've never had an "alpha" attitude, never had a huge sex drive, never been athletic and never been in shape, even when I was a laborer loading trucks for a living. Makes me think I might have been low for most my life, but I'll never know.

My stats:
35 yo
350 lbs size 52 pants.
5'-9-1/2" (used to be 5'-11" :rant:)
Office job, see a trainer for an hour 2x a week. Get to the gym when I am awake enough to, which isn't often enough.
Paleo/NSNG style diet with weekly "cheats". Usually adding breads or potatoes as a cheat, not sugar.
I drink about 3 liters of water a day. One cup of coffee with light cream in the morning and usually one Monster Rehab (6g carbs/sugar, 20 cal.) energy drink to stay awake in the afternoon. Nothing else.
in bed by 8p, asleep by 9, struggling to wake up for 7a.

Test 158 ng/dl
TSH 1.43
Free t4 1.28

All other numbers I have in these images:
View attachment 561034
View attachment 561035

I have some questions, I understand some might not be able to be answered without all the numbers.

I'm not looking to be "spoon fed", if I'm asking something repetitive let me know, I've read a lot but for some reason retaining is problematic.

I'm sure I'll have more to throw in here as I learn more. I have another Dr appt coming up monday, if I can't get him to get the numbers I want I'll go to a lab on my own next week.

I have "piriformis syndrome" that has been painful since october '14. Started while doing squats and lunges. I've been working to strengthen my core w/ physical therapy and the trainer, but I'm making NO remarkable gains. Have any of you had relief from muscle pains and spasms as test helped you build muscle?

Do you know of anyone who was morbidly obese like me that posted their low t story online? I would love to read more from my perspective and from people that have been here.

If the doc wants to start me without any more blood work, what would you tell him?

Has anyone compiled a grouping of studies on testosterone somewhere on the internet? I've been sporatically coming across some. Approaching a doc with "i read on the internet" always polarizes their opinion. I would love to start with "in a 1996 peer reviewed study by...." to validate my concerns.

Thanks for reading along. Hopefully this isn't too dumb of a post. It's obviously way too wordy, I probably need my estrogen tested... ;)

Last edited:
This a is the beginning of a hopefully major turn of events in your life Vinny. You've taken a very thoughtful, and methodical approach to get here, don't rush it, don't lose hope, don't let anyone shut any doors on you without having them explain themselves throuroughly and logically. Follow through on the tests and appointments, educate yourself, form your own opinion on what you'd like to see for your treatment and keep asking for what you need. I'm sure you didn't get to this level of desperation overnight, so don't expect it to change any more rapidly, but make no mistake, this is the dawn. You need treatment for your condition and you will get it. The goal will be getting optimal, but for now, having your condition diagnosed and acknowledged is a big start. Many of us began there and through research and guidance have changed our lives.

To answer som of the questions you asked...

I can do a long list of activities today that I was physically unable to before TRT. Healing of only musculoskeletal injuries and the ability to adapt my training through a strengthened core are some of my highest values benefits personally since starting TRT. After almost 3 years of TRT I'm within 3-4 months of reaching my all time fitness goals, and already making new ones. Fuck being old.

You won't have to search or browse long to find the stories you're looking for. They are here.

I'd personally start immediately, but understand wanting to know the source of the problem. I'm just more solution oriented myself and know that the solution is likely the same either way. Concerning the other health risks, in the long run, if you can get to a healthy body weight and see the results to stay motivated in a healthy lifestyle, they will have mattered little. The elevated alt is likely related to your obesity. Cure that, cure it all. Your doc is just covering his own ass, as he should. It's a tough business these days.

Another bump in the road. My primary care doc that laid out the gauntlet of tests before he was willing to treat me just backed out. He wanted me to see the gastro guy, more blood work, and ultrasound, I did it all. He also wanted an MRI that's scheduled a few weeks from now. I did everything he asked. Everything came back exactly as he wanted to see, the gastro doc recommended we start TRT asap and now my primary care doc wants me to see an endo for treatment. I'm furious that this guy jerked me around, i asked directly in two different appointments if he would treat me, and he said yes, as long as the numbers were ok and the gastro said go. If i knew he was going to turf me somewhere else I would have scheduled the appointment weeks ago.

In this small town i'm sure there is going to be a long wait to get into an endo's office, so I probably have another month of feeling terrible.

Glad to see your on the right path and have done your homework!

This could be a life changer for you. With the energy and motivation that comes with bouncing back off hypogonadal levels you should be able to make it to the gym more often, get up and move about more and just generally live your life more actively. It can really assist with losing bodyfat, especially coming out of obesity range. I should note you'll need to keep a keen eye on estradiol at your bodyfat.

Something else to consider; there is a lot to be said for obese guys dropping off a heap of bodyfat and getting themselves into the healthy bf range, and then coming off TRT and actually recovering. It's something that would obviously take a while, give yourself at least a year or two to drop the fat off but you may or may not wish to attempt coming off when you get there. It's entirely possible. It's one of the only cases where TRT doesn't actually HAVE to be for life.

the endo can't get me in until JUNE! I really don't know if I can deal with my symptoms that much longer plus any additional time for them to pull more labs, schedule follow up and so on.

the endo can't get me in until JUNE! I really don't know if I can deal with my symptoms that much longer plus any additional time for them to pull more labs, schedule follow up and so on.

Call around, I bet there is an endo that will be able to see you sooner. Look for a young guy that is new to private practice. Thats what I did and I got an appointment within a few days of calling.

If you can't wait - call IMT, the board sponsor. You will be on the right track in no time. You can always go back to your endo down the road.

-Jim

In my opinion my last PCP mishandled my testosterone and I already lost confidence in the guy after misdiagnosing a herniated disk and degenerative disk in my back as "arthritic changes". I also didn't like the way he handled a few of my wife's health care issues, so we both canned him.
I got a new PCP. A young guy fresh in the workforce. He went through his residency in a quality hospital, and after one appointment I really feel he makes up for lack of experience in knowledge and drive. He's young enough to still WANT to fix his patients!

We talked about low testosterone, he reviewed my previous labs and acknowledged my numbers were abysmal. He didn't feel my fatty liver is a problem, in agreeance with the gastro doc. He wanted a follow up draw and he hit ALL the tests i feel are necessary without me asking. here are the results:

Total T - 182
Free t - 9.0
FSH - 5
LH - 3.2
PSA - 32
Estrogen - 103

I do not have the paper from the labs in my hands yet, the nurse read the results to me on the phone. I don't know which estrogen they pulled. I'll be able to clarify lab ranges once I pick up the results.

on the phone the nurse mentioned the various treatment options. I quickly dismissed topical and she agreed. We talked about injectables and she said the dreaded "every 2 weeks". She did say the office has some people that self inject, but they might want to do the first few in office. I figured talking to her about weekly wasn't worthwhile for either of us, so I'll talk to the doc when we sort out treatment.

I'll be looking for high quality articles and studies in weekly dosage to take to my next appointment hoping to discourage the bi-weekly roller coaster. If you have one readily available I would really appreciate you passing it along.

Thanks for the support everyone.

I wonder what the lab range on that PSA is... it's usually in ng/mL and 32 would be quite high...

I wonder what the lab range on that PSA is... it's usually in ng/mL and 32 would be quite high...

thanks for pointing it out. looks like 4 ng/dl is the high end for "normal" for most places. I wonder if she said 3.2 and i missed the "point". I'll certainly follow up when i get the lab paper from them.

Last edited:
Hey vinny. Welcome to the circus!

Your story sounds exactly like mine except I have a few years on you. 52 y.o. 5' 8', 280 lbs, 42% bodyfat (morbidly obese). Fuk I hate those words. Extreme debilitating fatigue. Can't lose weight etc. Diagnosed low T last December. I spent the last 6 months using Axiron gel, 60 mg applied to the armpits every morning. Took my T from 190 to 711. Initially it made me feel like a new man but over the last few months I started to feel like crap again. Pulled some more tests on my own an T is still good at 632 but estradiol is now high. I firmly believe that gels are NOT the way to go for us fat guys as we already have issues with estrogen. Anyway, long story short, my PCP is only treating my total T and said my numbers are great! "But doc I feel like shit again"... He gives me the look "Oh well, sucks to be you"... Of course at this point it was time to move on. I did get a brief taste of what it felt like when I first started and it was awesome to say the least. I actually felt like working out again for the first time in many years. No more sitting at home or laying in bed all day. I was actually out getting shit done! Mr pecker started to wake up! You name it. Then it started to fade...

Well, after doing 100+ hours of reading/research I think I have a pretty good grasp on what it takes to get that awesome feeling again so I ended up becoming a client of IMT who sponsors this forum. I'm currently on a protocol with injected T Cyp, HCG and Anastrozole is standing by if my E2 gets too high. I literally just gave myself the very first injection yesterday. 200 mgs in the quad. Going to pull some more tests in a month or so to see where I stand.

Anyway, your definitely in the right place for knowledge. I'll be interested to follow your progress as we share the same desire to get rid of this all this flab and just feel normal again. Wishing you the best of luck and keep posting your results.

Today's update: Injection one complete!

I went for my follow up from the lab results, doc said I was low, as expected, and we would start testosterone. He suggested injections, I agreed. He said 200 every 2 weeks, i asked if we could do weekly and without skipping a beat he said "absolutely!". I go for a follow up with him in 2 months to check my lab results. I asked when he wanted me to have the labs drawn and he recommended the day before my injection. I'm so hopeful this treatment will get my life back on track!

They wanted to do the injections in office, but i'll be out of town next week. so they gave me one today and sent me on my way with the script. I'm not sure if they expect me to come in for the 3rd injection, but the nurse did mention that they can't use anything i bring in on my own. They can only use their own med and equipment for in office injections. I guess i'll see what I end up with when i pick up my script.

Thanks for the help along the way everyone! I'll post updates as things happen.

Obviously there is no difference right now since the injection is only a few hours old, but I'll try to check in on this thread as time progresses.

Today's update: Injection one complete!

I went for my follow up from the lab results, doc said I was low, as expected, and we would start testosterone. He suggested injections, I agreed. He said 200 every 2 weeks, i asked if we could do weekly and without skipping a beat he said "absolutely!". I go for a follow up with him in 2 months to check my lab results. I asked when he wanted me to have the labs drawn and he recommended the day before my injection. I'm so hopeful this treatment will get my life back on track!

They wanted to do the injections in office, but i'll be out of town next week. so they gave me one today and sent me on my way with the script. I'm not sure if they expect me to come in for the 3rd injection, but the nurse did mention that they can't use anything i bring in on my own. They can only use their own med and equipment for in office injections. I guess i'll see what I end up with when i pick up my script.

Thanks for the help along the way everyone! I'll post updates as things happen.

Obviously there is no difference right now since the injection is only a few hours old, but I'll try to check in on this thread as time progresses.

Good luck. Make sure you get on self-injections at home. Going into your doc once a week for injections would be pretty stupid.

Last edited:
Back