Harm Reduction, Do I have this procedure right for Benzyl Alcohol?

manboobs

Hi everyone,
I've been doing a lot of reading on here and have found some really great information. I am waiting on some gear right now, but in the meantime I have another product that I want to put into a sterile vial for multiple uses.

From the research I've read I came up with a little procedure:

Supplies
-Wattman wheel filters 0.22ug
-Benzyl Alcohol
-Distilled Water
- pressure cooker
-gloves/mask/hairnet
- still air box
- Sterile Vials 10ml

Procedure:
- First make bacteriostatic water, by pressure cooking distilled water at 15psi for 25 minutes. Allowing to cool, and place in the still air box
- Once cooled add in Bezyl Alcohol at 1% by volume in still air box wearing gloves and mask
- Draw out bacteriostatic water into sterile 10cc syringe, and mix in to jar with product already in. Mix and let disolve
- Take a new sterile syringe and attach wheel filter, draw up product+bacteriostatic water through Wattman wheel filter
- Alcohol swab the sterile vial, inject sterile solution into the sterile vial

My ideas on this, was the distilled water is sterilized by the pressure cooker; acting as an autoclave. Benzyl Alcohol added at 1% by volume to ward off bacteria from growing in the water/vial. Ran solution through Wattman to get out any particles and some bacteria.

From what I've gathered, I maybe creating an extra step using the pressure cooker but it makes me feel better. I have some questions though:

- Will this method work for preserving a water soluble salt that is capable of 20G/100ML solubility? Does it matter what the salt/molecule is?
- How long will the solution be sterile (Assuming I use aseptic conditions)?
- Does it matter what the product is? I assumed if 2%BA worked okay for steroids it would work okay for this, I don't know if oil is less prone to bacteria than sterile water alone, but I figure if a Wattman is used and it's being put into a sterile vial it should be okay.

For the sake of harm reduction can someone tell me if my logic is correct on this.

Thanks!

Hi everyone,
I've been doing a lot of reading on here and have found some really great information. I am waiting on some gear right now, but in the meantime I have another product that I want to put into a sterile vial for multiple uses.

From the research I've read I came up with a little procedure:

Supplies
-Wattman wheel filters 0.22ug
-Benzyl Alcohol
-Distilled Water
- pressure cooker
-gloves/mask/hairnet
- still air box
- Sterile Vials 10ml

Procedure:
- First make bacteriostatic water, by pressure cooking distilled water at 15psi for 25 minutes. Allowing to cool, and place in the still air box
- Once cooled add in Bezyl Alcohol at 1% by volume in still air box wearing gloves and mask
- Draw out bacteriostatic water into sterile 10cc syringe, and mix in to jar with product already in. Mix and let disolve
- Take a new sterile syringe and attach wheel filter, draw up product+bacteriostatic water through Wattman wheel filter
- Alcohol swab the sterile vial, inject sterile solution into the sterile vial

My ideas on this, was the distilled water is sterilized by the pressure cooker; acting as an autoclave. Benzyl Alcohol added at 1% by volume to ward off bacteria from growing in the water/vial. Ran solution through Wattman to get out any particles and some bacteria.

From what I've gathered, I maybe creating an extra step using the pressure cooker but it makes me feel better. I have some questions though:

- Will this method work for preserving a water soluble salt that is capable of 20G/100ML solubility? Does it matter what the salt/molecule is?
- How long will the solution be sterile (Assuming I use aseptic conditions)?
- Does it matter what the product is? I assumed if 2%BA worked okay for steroids it would work okay for this, I don't know if oil is less prone to bacteria than sterile water alone, but I figure if a Wattman is used and it's being put into a sterile vial it should be okay.

For the sake of harm reduction can someone tell me if my logic is correct on this.

Thanks![/QUOte

that gave me a headache lol, bro make it easy on yourself you want to make bac water i take it, go to amazon buy sterile water, then buy benzyl alcohol, draw 99mls sterile water, mix 1ml ba ,there you have it, no filter needed cause you started with sterile water not distilled

What type of compound are you trying to add into this? Bacteriostatic water contains 0.9% BA but for a test suspension I would use 2% BA no matter what. The pressure cooker is an interesting idea trying to mimic an autoclave. The problem is the term "sterile" we are using. Seeing as how this is being made at home, it will not be sterile under the same specifications as a pharmacy or manufacturer have to follow which is USP 797 in the US. Once any of this is open to air that is not in a laminar air flow hood (ISO class 5), it is not longer sterile. This still box you are using is actually the exact opposite of a sterile hood. However considering the garbage homebrew techniques I have seen in the past, this is a fairly good idea.

If you can get a hold of a fan with a HEPA filter you can use it to move air across the compounding area you are using. It should blow air from the back of the hood toward you, however with what you have, you may have to move air from left to right or visa versa.

I would not use the filter until you are adding the product into the vial. Trying to draw up the compound through a filter from a vial that is under negative pressure will be pretty difficult.
It does matter what the compound and its' salt form is in order for us to judge its solubility in BW @ 200mg/ml, however a lot of compounds will be stable in this preparation.
Sterility is impossible to judge without a growth media test, however 30 days may be a safe guess. And the difference between BW and Oil is usually the aseptic technique used that would determine if one is more/less likely to grow bacteria. Otherwise they should be the same.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Back