Home made protein shake powder

Grizzlyadams

After seeing my roommates and patients spending $70 a bag on protein shake powders I thought I would use my Pastry Chef experience and sources to check out the ingredients of a high end mass building powder and see what was in it and how hard it would be to start making our own.

This is the first part of the post so hold on for the second part.

Basically this is what I've found out.
It's mostly filler. Cornstarch to be exact, a modified cornstarch called waxy maize that's much easier to break down and absorb. It cost about $8 for 5 kg.

Malto-Dextrin : Sugar can be replaced with glucose or cornsyrup.

Levulose : Fructose sugar

Cornsyrup : more sugar

Inulin : increases calcium absorption and magnesium absorption helping muscle function. It's another o-calorie starch from leeks and chikory available in your regular diet. It's also a laxative being both soluble and insoluble fibre

Soy Fiber : Soy flour

Wheat Fiber : wheat flour

Whey Powder : one of two major proteins from milk. You can buy this bulk on it's own.

Casein Powder : the other major protein in milk. Again you can buy this in bulk.

Calcium Caseinate : Is a slow burning casein protein found in dried skim milk powder that you can by in the grocery store. $3.00 for skim milk powder which has the whey and casein in it too.

Lipoic Acid / Alpha lipoic acid: 200 mg/day-comes from kidney, heart, liver, spinach, broccoli, and yeast extract. Is an antioxidant and aids in aerobic metabolism. Can be bought at a supplement store 120 units of 100mg pills for $8.00

IGF-1 and IGF-2 : Insulin Like Growth Factors once called "somatomedin C".a stimulator of cell growth and multiplication and a potent inhibitor of programmed cell death. Basically it helps turn all the other ingredients in the powder into body tissue. It comes from deer antler skin.

Coconut oil : Mostly for the Essential Fatty Acids and for the energy boost, not like the kick you get from caffeine, it’s more subtle but longer lasting. It is most noticeable as an increase in endurance. Also Coconut oil Research has shown that MCFA and monoglycerides are effective in killing a number of disease-causing microorganisms among which include streptococcus, staphylococcus, H. pylori, Chalamydia trachomatis, Neisseria, candida, giardia, herpes virus (cold sores and genital herpes), influenza, Epstein-Barr virus, hepatitis C virus, human immunodeficiency virus (HIV),Plantar warts and others.

Conjugated Linoleic Acid : Some studies of CLA in human diets show that it may reduce body fat,especially abdominal fat. CLA produced a 32% increase in biliary cholesterol concentration which increases the chance of gallstone formation.kangaroo meat may have the highest concentration of CLA. Egg and egg white powder are also rich in CLA,

Flavours : artificial and natural, cocoa powder and cake flavourings from the grocery store.

Basically it's all cornstarch, various flours and then a tiny bit of Proteins you can buy on their own for less. Oh and LOTS of sugar.

Next post... actually making your own, and cutting out the crap so your money all goes to the good stuff that's going to make you GROTESQUELY BIG.

Jeffery E.R.C. Kincaellan - Pastry Chef and Sugar Sculptor, Specializing in pulled and blown sugar production
Massotherapeutics

This is some great information. I'm assuming for the second part of the post you are going to give us a homemade protein powder recipe?

Hello
I am newbie in this forum and also I am really enjoying here.
Thanks to all share your comments about "Home made protein shake powder".

are you making it yourself the powder or did you just tell us that you can buy buy pure protein powder without the sugar??

good post either way cause the weightgainers are the biggest rip offs ever the charge you a fortune to add sugar...

Im looking forward to hearing about this too and would love to save myself some money and make my own.

Great post!

So as someone who has designed a few high end protein lines. I call BS. Half the things you listed we never use.

The coconut oil is a great source of ECA's that's about it.

Your really reaching IGF-1 from velvet antler isn't biologically active is a total waste. I don't mean to be negative. CLA is only available in a liquid. I've worked extensively formulating products.

I think your see what's obvious $70 is too much for 5 lb concentrate. You need to look for a better brand if your finding fillers.
1) The trick is having enough room to get enough protein per serving. So no fillers in a quality product.

2) Whey is naturally sweet and you don't need to add sugars. Corn syrup is really bad for you.

3) Soy is horrible for you. It should only be server to mediposil woman. It truly should be illegal

4.....I cold go on

I like that your think ing out of the box. This is what it take to bring good products to the masses

So as someone who has designed a few high end protein lines. I call BS. Half the things you listed we never use.

The coconut oil is a great source of ECA's that's about it.

Your really reaching IGF-1 from velvet antler isn't biologically active is a total waste. I don't mean to be negative. CLA is only available in a liquid. I've worked extensively formulating products.

I think your see what's obvious $70 is too much for 5 lb concentrate. You need to look for a better brand if your finding fillers.
1) The trick is having enough room to get enough protein per serving. So no fillers in a quality product.

2) Whey is naturally sweet and you don't need to add sugars. Corn syrup is really bad for you.

3) Soy is horrible for you. It should only be server to mediposil woman. It truly should be illegal

4.....I cold go on

I like that your think ing out of the box. This is what it take to bring good products to the masses

Do you have a recipe 4 us? Not asking 4 any trade secrets just a healthly affordable and tasty protein powder.

hi, This is great post. This post is very informative. The information of this topic is very useful to me.
Thanks for sharing.

Back