How many Ml's through each filter..

legend05

Using Whatman 25 mm .20 µm filters, how many ml's do you put through each filter? 20-30 or are they good for more?

I can do 100ml's.

Make sure to keep the oil hot. If the oils cools too much it won't be as thin and will be a bitch to filter.

I let mine cool and I was filtering drip by drip. I reheated the oil and I had a steady flow again.

Easto said:
I can do 100ml's.

Make sure to keep the oil hot. If the oils cools too much it won't be as thin and will be a bitch to filter.

I let mine cool and I was filtering drip by drip. I reheated the oil and I had a steady flow again.

You get 100ml thru a .20 whatman Easto? I always figured they filter less than a .45.

Either way, i just started using Nalgene bottle-top filters so we'll see how those go...

OOPS.... I use .45

But I get 100mls. The higher concentration stuff take a long time. Usually I will use 2 or 3 filters for 100mls. By hands cramp like crazy and I don't have the patience to filter all that stuff drop by drop.

100ml no prob. less its tren pellets then if its not comnpletetly settled out milage will vary. thats .45.

why you using .2s?

pullinbig said:
100ml no prob. less its tren pellets then if its not comnpletetly settled out milage will vary. thats .45.

why you using .2s?

Don't know why he is, but i bought a case of Nalgene bottle top filters and just used one tonight. Works better than even the PB labs setup...

I love this stuff!!!

pullinbig said:
post the link please. i saw some but there are several different types.

Sure thing...

http://www.daigger.com/catalog/prod...eg8?deptId=Disposable+Bottle+Top&prodId=8199A

I got the 500ml with a 75mm pore size. Bought a few 500ml Pyrex media bottles and went to town. Make sure the neck sizes match up though. lol

These things are cheap as shit compared to Whatman's. I bought a case of 12 for $65 (6000ml total) and with the whatmans at fishersci I only got 5000ml for twice that price.

I believe that .2 filters are the standard for cold filtration. You guys might wanna look into that a bit. I will look up some info for you all, but I believe that a lot of harmful shit can make it past the .45 filter.

JC

JC3, everyone here in chemical study know that 0,1um pore size filter all bacteria but let pass almost all virus spectrum and just not to mention endotoxins that require molecular range filters, and we only have macro-molecular ones!
But it also leads to other problems, it starts to be a hard has hell to filter by hand and really pushes your pacience for the time it takes! So it becames very unpratical specially on medium volumes..

You may see around here, that almost every veteran guy in brew use 0.45 and almost 0 infections!

So does it worth thinking about it? I think no, just take some extra care on handling!

insaned said:
JC3, everyone here in chemical study know that 0,1um pore size filter all bacteria but let pass almost all virus spectrum and just not to mention endotoxins that require molecular range filters, and we only have macro-molecular ones!
But it also leads to other problems, it starts to be a hard has hell to filter by hand and really pushes your pacience for the time it takes! So it becames very unpratical specially on medium volumes..

You may see around here, that almost every veteran guy in brew use 0.45 and almost 0 infections!

So does it worth thinking about it? I think no, just take some extra care on handling!

I know a lot of guys still use .45 but I think the info should be out there so at least people can make informed choices. If you use the caulk gun method, the time and hand cramps have no impact on it. You just end up with cleaner gear. I know that there is always more to worry about, and if you want to be totally safe you shouldn't be a bathtub chemist. With that being said, a .2 change isn't much to do to help out. I do respect your opinion, and I know plenty of guys who use .45 with no problems as well, but it's not my stance on it.

JC

Back