jasonleeson

Monday - Chest & Triceps
Tuesday - Cardio
Wensday - Back & Biceps
Thursday - Cardio
Friday - Shoulders & Abs
Saturday - Legs
Sunday - Cardio

In bold is what I'm doing now (no cardio at all).

23 (my Birthday today :D)
5'11 & 3/4
205 LBS
3 months training (also 5+ years as a competitive swimmer through mid-late teens which involved gym work)

Diet: 6-7 meals per day 40-45g protein per meal (200-250 grams per day)
Carbs - 60g Oats in a morning, vegetables throughout the day, Banana pre-training
Fats - Fish Oil tabs X2/day, 1TBL spoon Extra Virgin olive oil with 1 meal per day

Body type: Endo-meso

Supplements: Whey Protein, Creatine, Fish Oil tabs X2/day

-----

Been gaining muscle at a good rate, but fat has stayed static. Should I add the cardio sessions where marked (in red)? How about the cardio the day after the leg day, is it ok to, say, do 20-30 mins on the elliptical if my legs are sore, or should I listen to my body?

At 205, even with the muscle I have gained, there is still plenty of excess fat to be burned up, so I'm thinking I will be able to add these cardio sessions to get rid of the excess rather than going into a full on 'cutting' phase, to at least get 10-15 pounds of fat off. What are your thoughts on this also?

Last edited:
people who lift are always worried about doing cardio coz they are afraid of loosing size.

though, it is just an excuse imo.

now, doing cardio to cut the fat off will definitely affect your strength/size, but this is normal. strength and size comes and goes. hence bulking slowly is the way to go so more quality muscles are gained rather than fat out ratio-ing muscles.

how long have you been doing this routine of yours and how do you feel? if you're doing mild cardios, it's alright. never do overkill cardio thinking it would shed them fats faster.

with your cardio after legs day, i'd suggest doing some shadow boxing if you're up to it. Im currently doing bas rutten's boxing tapes and it's quite fun

also, another misconception of people with lifting and cardio is that they tend to get carried away with cardio and cut their lifting to minimal.

keep your lifting still...as is...and if you're worried about not being able to lift your usual weight or go heavy per week, 2.5 plates my friend. marry it :p

one last thing, you may have to look into your diet next when your fat still stay static even with cardio. it is another factor

Thanks for the solid answer - I will certainly be keeping the lifting as it is, and yes adding the cardio.

Also your right about the diet too, if the fat isn't coming off, something must be changed there.

Back