Is salt completely off limits while dieting?

buff36

Pardon my ignorance. I understand that sodium causes water retention and I can see how that would be a problem on stage or at the beach. But does it interfere with the body's ability to lose fat? I am not lean enough yet that I need to care about the extra water weight and salt seems to make the dieting a lot easier.

adidamps2 said:
use sea salt or kosher salt
not the shit they call salt on diner tables
I think they are all sodium chloride, so I don't understand why that would make a difference :confused:

Sea salt, obtained by evaporating seawater, is used in cooking and cosmetics. Its mineral content gives it a different taste from table salt, which is pure sodium chloride, usually refined from mined rock salt (halite) or from sea salt. Areas that produce specialized sea salt include the Cayman Islands, France, Ireland, Colombia, Sicily, Apulia in Italy, Maine and Cape Cod in the United States.[citation needed] Generally more expensive than table salt, it is commonly used in gourmet cooking and premium potato chips.[citation needed]

FROM WIKI

AFAIK, no, its not going to affect fat loss. My guess would be that youre overanalyzing. Most people with an OCD BBer mentality avoid sodium unnecessarily.

Back