Is this for real? NFL players claiming to be less than 5% body fat

Ghost124

I follow the NFL religiously, and saw some news tonight that made my jaw drop.

Steelers star running back Le’Veon Bell is entering camp at 2.9% body fat. That is correct, 2.9% body fat.
Le?Veon Bell?s body fat is 2.9 percent | USA TODAY Steelers Wire
CLBPgOqWEAQfFEz.jpg

Next you got Steelers wide receiver Martavis Bryant entering camp at 4% body fat
Steelers WR Martavis Bryant Opens Camp Weighing 225-Pounds - Steelers Depot

I played D1 football and know there are some freaks in the genetics. As a matter of fact, to play in the NFL you have to be a freak point blank. But this still shocks me. 2.9%?????
I read that when competitors go on stage, they are at their 5 or 6% for only a few days and feel like complete shit the whole time. Now I know these guys are not achieving the same goals as NFL players, but still that is insane. Thoughts?

I have always wondered how accurate body pod scans are. My understanding is that their estimates are based on studies done on cadavers where their bodies were disected to find out how much fat was there. But it is all mathematical models being used in the end. Models based on the average population. So I would be surprised if it is perfect at estimating body fat on an elite athlete.

Lol. Nope. Probably a bad bodpod scan. 3% body fat is ESSENTIAL, and you would feel really ill crossing that line, not sprinting all over the place.

But this doesn't surprise me; ever since professional sports were reclassified as "entertainment" and not sports, they'll do whatever to bring in more fans.

I follow the NFL religiously, and saw some news tonight that made my jaw drop.

Steelers star running back Le***8217;Veon Bell is entering camp at 2.9% body fat. That is correct, 2.9% body fat.
Le?Veon Bell?s body fat is 2.9 percent | USA TODAY Steelers Wire
CLBPgOqWEAQfFEz.jpg

Next you got Steelers wide receiver Martavis Bryant entering camp at 4% body fat
Steelers WR Martavis Bryant Opens Camp Weighing 225-Pounds - Steelers Depot

I played D1 football and know there are some freaks in the genetics. As a matter of fact, to play in the NFL you have to be a freak point blank. But this still shocks me. 2.9%?????
I read that when competitors go on stage, they are at their 5 or 6% for only a few days and feel like complete shit the whole time. Now I know these guys are not achieving the same goals as NFL players, but still that is insane. Thoughts?

I'm far from an expert on this topic but I would expect some of these guys to drop dead during games or practices, if indeed their body fat was that low, which from photos does not look like it is that low. Just my 2cnts.

Whoever has been doing these scans for the Steelers needs to be fired immediately because CLEARLY they didn't follow the correct bodpod procedures.

Either that or the Steelers have found some miracle drugs to get you shredded beyond belief while still performing at the highest level and looking like your just kind of lean, sort of.

Must be all that water retention right ;)

could you imagine running around anywhere lookin like this? let alone on a pro football field...

135bbb7590f1bf94869deb63f7196280.jpg

and pretty sure andreas munzer beat mentzer in shreds, though munzer died a young death plagued with cysts and liver failure and all kinds of horrible stuff.

1995_arnold_classic_review_b.jpg

could you imagine running around anywhere lookin like this? let alone on a pro football field...

135bbb7590f1bf94869deb63f7196280.jpg

and pretty sure andreas munzer beat mentzer in shreds, though munzer died a young death plagued with cysts and liver failure and all kinds of horrible stuff.

1995_arnold_classic_review_b.jpg

My bad you're right. I sometimes confuse Munzer with Mentzer, but you Andreas was an absolute shredded beast

I dont think the players are the ones claiming it. They probably have nothing to do with these cards or whatever you call it. Alot of these dudes cant even read and write.

Last edited:
No way. It's amazing how small the percentage of athletes I would say are even sub 10%. A "True" sub 10%. My .02

Back