My HRT/Testim Experience

Firebrand81

My experience with HRT/Testim began with a routine physical during the summer of 2010. I am a 48 year old white male, 6' 2" 190, not very physically active, but relatively healthy overall. Very active in family, work, hobbies, social, etc.

With that said, I had been feeling pretty sluggish, blaise, and pretty much devoid of excitement about much of anything for a while, so I figured a physical was timely. Then again...I am not a kid anymore. So nothing major, just kind of blah overall, which isn't my normal mode of operation - so I figured it was time for a check over.

First thing that jumped out to my doc was elevated triglyceride levels. Then, my blood pressure was higher than normal, which was surprising since it has always been very steady in the normal range. I need to find some kind of steady exercise and have been needing to do so for 10 or more years...but these levels were way out of whack, even with that. Sooo...with all of those symptoms, my doc said he wanted to check my testosterone levels. He said low t-levels could have a big hand in contributing to all of them...and wanted to know how the ol' sex life had been going.

Of course, the manly side of me thought he was crazy. How could it be testosterone? I thought my 'boys' were fine, thank you...but then again...with that said, I guess I have been fighting some minor ED issues the last few years. And, overall, when compared to earlier years, my interest in sex had kind of waned. Didn't really bother me because like exercise, finding a window of energy, time, and then a wife who was up to it (we are both teachers in high energy positions, pretty much washed out at the end of every day) made for hit and miss sessions at best, maybe twice a month or so. But when the sun moon and stars did align, it was great, so no biggie - even if maintaining a good erection for any length of time was a rarity. I figured, hey, we've been married almost 25 years, I'm almost 50, both getting older, just the way it is, pretty much normal...right?

Results: t-levels were low/average, around 250 or so. Not horrible, but not great by any means. Went on some t-booster pills (T-Max, DHEA) for a couple of months, levels actually went down, no improvement. So, he wanted to put me on Testim. I wasn't thrilled, but what could it hurt to try.

At first, the application was bothersome. Right out of the shower, takes about five minutes more, not a huge deal. But...initial impression was that it was sticky, there was too much of it, and I thought a little smelly. I just couldn't fit all of it on my shoulders as instructed, so after a few days I did some on the back of my shoulders, upper chest, a little on my sides (rib area), and a little bit on my inner thighs (gives a more even coverage overall). I re-pointed the a/c vent in the bathroom so that it blows on me to help dry things (and just turn the fan on before I get in the shower), and then a used little powder on the parts of my shoulders and back that come in contact with my undershirts. That cured the stickiness.

In just a few days, it seemed my energy levels picked up. Seemed much more alert. And within a week my interest in sex started picking up as well. Not out of control by any means, but definitely boosted. Started looking the wife with a little heat in my soul for the first time in quite some time, noticing nice looking women too.

And...after reading about low testosterone therapy for women's libido issues, I figured what the heck, and started saving the last tiny little squeeze of Testim from each application for the wife. Basically enough to cover the tip of my index finger. I convinced her to give it a try. So, after agreeing, I spread that small dab on her lower back so she doesn't smell manly, and have tried to pretty much every day.

Been on it overall for about 45 days, and the results have been, in a word, fantastic. I have a clarity of being which is great. Energetic, more focused...though I still need that exercise, but am determined to start walking and doing weights (used to do both regularly) very soon (this week actually). I am seeing some body fat disappearing, and I've done nothing physical yet, so thats cool. The obligatory man-boobs are lessening, as are the love handles. Anxious to see what will happen when the exercise regiment becomes part of the routine.

Sex wise, it seems the ED is a pretty much a thing of the past. Period. Morning wood every day for the first time in forever, and when my man gets up, he stays there. Having to get used to giving him a little time to 'relax' again after going to the bathroom for the first time in forever. But when desired, at the opportune time, response has been very good.

With the wife, we've been like teenagers...but much more in control. Very liberating and encouraging. Give us a couple of glasses of vino and we're rolling with a serious vibe...with the wife a much more willing and participating party than I honestly remember since kids (10+ years). She says her energy levels have been better than in her memory, and she feels more clear mentally. Nothing but raves overall there. If I start noticing a beard or her voice getting lower than mine, we might have to make a change...but so far she feels confident it has helped her.

Now...about the smell. Like I said, I was at first bothered by it. But...I have never had more positive comments about my aroma in my life - and all from women. To be honest, that part has stunned me. I cannot go shopping or into a public situation without some female commenting on how good I smell. "What cologne are you wearing?" (always say its something the wife picked up for me) "You smell so clean..." "I really like how you smell..." Those are just a few of the comments. And the wife LOVES it. She says she finds herself smelling my shirts when she's doing the laundry just because they smell so good. So, needless to say, the smell some guys complain about has become quite a positive.

Negatives? I do have to say I think 'my boys' have shrunk a little. Not horribly, but I can tell a difference. BUT...with that said, in the overall big picture, I really don't care. I'm out of the reproducing game (two kids, 12 and 6), and if the boys weren't doing the work they needed to, then hey, so be it. I mean really...when the heat is on, would you rather have a big pair of taters or a solid chunk of meat? At least for me, the choice is a no-brainer. Ask your woman which she'd prefer. I'll bet I know the answer, and it ain't the taters.

And, there's no such thing as a 'quick' shower any more. I have to be really careful around my 6-year old son after I first put it on because it sounds like this stuff could wreak havoc on him. Other than those things, though, there really hasn't been much to complain about.

Anyway, to summarize, so far so good. If things keep rolling along as they have the last month and a half, then I'll be on the sauce as long as the doc lets me, the rest of my life if I can. It has made that much difference. I'm not ready to say I feel young again, not quite a different man totally, but close enough to make it worth it.

If you are fighting any of the symptoms I mentioned before, I wouldn't hesitate to go see your doc and ask to get your t-levels tested. If it turns out you are a candidate for Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT), I highly recommend Testim. Regardless, Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) can be a real game changer for you. Has been for me, at least so far!

Dude, you are putting your wifes health at risk. She is not a man, therefore you shoud not be sharing your medication with her. That is very dangerous from what i understand. She needs to seek treatment for herself, medications formulated for HER.

Firebrand81- I'm with you 100% on that smell! I used to use Testim before switching to an injectable therapy. I've loved the change over and would never look back, but I definitely miss the effects of the "scent" of Testim on the opposite gender! Same comments from women that you mentioned, not to mention the exponential increases in second looks. I even caught two separate women, on separate occasions taking a shirt out of my locker at work and sniffing it, lol!

Anyways, does anybody know how to find the the ingredient that gives Testim it's particular odor? I can only assume it has some type of phernome effect. Androgel doesn't have the same effect, the compounded cream I used to get didn't have it, and I'm certainly not excreting it even though I have plenty of "Test" in my system. The only ingredient that I found in Testim that might give off that particular odor is "Pendactolone" (sp?). Anybody know what the substance is and how to get it?

This thread is definitely swerving off topic a bit...? I think its important to mention that firebrand81 is not on "hrt". He is on testim. You may feel good temporarily, in the short term, however, once you start to show symptoms of heavy aromatization, and your testes continue to shrink, you won't be feeling so well. You have said not a single thing about using Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) or using an Aromatase inhibitor (AI), the other two true staples of a therapeutic protocol. i'm not trying to bust your balls, moreso, trying to help educate you on the fact that your "doctor" is uneducated and ultimately doing you nothing but harm if he does not know how and why to administer proper hormone replacement therapy. Best of luck, bro.

This thread is definitely swerving off topic a bit...? I think its important to mention that firebrand81 is not on "hrt". He is on testim. You may feel good temporarily, in the short term, however, once you start to show symptoms of heavy aromatization, and your testes continue to shrink, you won't be feeling so well. You have said not a single thing about using Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) or using an Aromatase inhibitor (AI), the other two true staples of a therapeutic protocol. i'm not trying to bust your balls, moreso, trying to help educate you on the fact that your "doctor" is uneducated and ultimately doing you nothing but harm if he does not know how and why to administer proper hormone replacement therapy. Best of luck, bro.

Chip,
I have to agree, I was prescribed a gel(not Testim, but Axiron), through my gp but no Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) or Aromatase inhibitor (AI) was prescribed. I did feel a little better but my libido never kicked in and I was concerned about the "lack of protocol" and why the doc. never even metioned the other components of therapy. After researching testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) for three months I jumped on board with Maximus. 2 weeks into my protocol with test., Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG), and Aromatase inhibitor (AI) I split the wife open last night and my workouts are insane. No Shit!!!! Sorry for the hijack, I'll start a thread.

Just sharing my experience to this point...

...and perhaps you are right...but right i am thrilled with how I feel.

I am not a bodybuilder, have no interest in it whatsoever. Just wanted to feel good again and Testim has at least done that much.

Will keep you posted!!

Hey Firebrand81,
What a great write-up, and it's great to see you on here.

We are all on here because we at one time felt like crap. Everybody has the same or similar story. I am no bodybuilder either, in fact I just wanted to get my life back.

I'm no expert but as I understand it extra testosterone converts to estrogen, and after a while on testosterone your body gets the idea, and shuts down the signal for more testosterone so your nuts shut down.

Now there is a guy in here that is one of the worlds best at getting men dialed in (proper T and E and keep the nuts). The people that he helps have raging hardons, excellent strength, great feeling of well being, and tired wives. He's also very easy to talk with. But because he's so good at what he does, you will find a brotherhood that will defend for him. His name is Chip. We all joke around a little, but no shit, he has more people dialed in faster than anybody I've ever heard of, his experience is second to none, and he really does give a shit. Most Dr's or Endo's are old school and really know very little about the male hormones. Like some idiot Dr that prescribes 350 mg test every month. WTF, does he even know what half life is? Or some Dr that thinks Aromatase inhibitor (AI) is just for a woman w/breast cancer.

Just ask somebody else like ccpro, or any of the hundreds of people on here. Feel free to ask questions.

...and perhaps you are right...but right i am thrilled with how I feel.

I am not a bodybuilder, have no interest in it whatsoever. Just wanted to feel good again and Testim has at least done that much.

Will keep you posted!!

If it isnt broken then don't fix it right? I have heard of guys who work well with the cream and love it. Although they do seem to be very much a minority. If you are one of them then I think that's great for you.

Do a blood test when you get the chance after you've been on awhile and check everything. INSIST on getting estrogen (e2 specifically) tested as well as total and free t. Among other things.

Best of luck.

Firebrand...

I am glad to hear you are feeling better. I too was once a testim user. I do have to agree with Chip, there is a difference between testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) and HRT.

I also have to say that I have come across a couple men who claim to have had success with gel or cream only treatments, but I have to agree with Mopar that it seems to be the minority.

Aside from the pros and cons of one treatment vs. another, I was very anxious to switch over to injectables as a simple matter of efficiency. Not to mention all the research I did supported injectable T as the best approach as part of a complete Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) protocol.

I was prescribed two tubes of testim daily. In order to reduce wasted gel, I would apply it while wearing latex gloves. Additionally, I was quite efficient at getting ALL the gel out of the tubes. My peak T level after a few weeks of ritualistic gel application, including latex gloves and needle nose pliers to get all the gel out was 1227 as drawn two hours after gel application.

Of course, I, like you, would apply powder to certain areas to prevent the testim stickiness. I would estimate, very, very conservatively that this ritual took at least 10 minutes per day, not including the additional shower time used to wash off later in the day.

Add in the fact that I travel on business about 45 weeks a year and this was a rather large pain in the ass.

Simply put, a lifetime of testim application at 10 minutes a day for 30 years is the equivalent of 45 vacation weeks worth of my life spent applying gel. So basically an entire year of my life.

I inject my Test and Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) twice weekly and it takes about 2-3 minutes for both, so about 150 hours over 30 years, or about 4 40 hour work weeks, give or take a few days. Also, I inject Monday morning and Thursday afternoon and 90% of my travel falls within those days, which means I can almost always inject at home and not have to travel with needles or vials.

Not everyone is that uptight with how they spend their time. Given the choice between 45 weeks or 4 weeks of my time, I wasn't willing to use gel.

It has already been mentioned, but if you get to the point where you do not feel as great as you do now, get your blood tested and make sure E2 is part of it.

Good luck

Follow up...

Just got tested last week, and although it wasn't the category by category breakdown I wanted, my overall t-level nearly tripled...up over 600!! I am thrilled...and even better, my cholesterol has evened out, my triglycerides are normal, and man, the 'middle age' fat is disappearing...for the first time in my life, I actually look forward to doing weights and feeling the burn from it afterward. Results are really starting to show, again, first time ever. We stopped the bit o' Testim for the wife (she said she really didn't seem to be able to tell much if any difference)...but, sex overall has been awesome. ED symptoms are a thing of the past. And...a very unanticipated side effect...my endurance/stamina in bed has gone off the charts. I've always been a '5 minute man'...give me 5 good minutes and I am done. Not any more...at least 30 minutes per...totally blew me away. Very upbeat, excited about life, etc. So far, so good!! Going to get the detailed test this week, and will report back!!

Real quick follow up...

....guys, I never got the detailed numbers some of y'all asked for...but honestly, I don't need them. I feel great. Period. I have put on I don;t know how much muscle overall, been working out consistently for the first time in my life, bought a Bowflex (!), staying at 190 pounds...sex drive is through the roof...no ED issues at all (although at near 50 I just like having a little help...Chinese herbal supplement called "Super Hard" (I laughed when I first read it, too...not laughing now...it absolutely works)...and the sex is AWESOME. I am now lasting longer than I ever have BY FAR...making the wife work for it for the first time in our relationship.

Still getting compliments about the smell, too...

For me, Testim has been a life-changer. I'll be on it as long as I live.

....guys, I never got the detailed numbers some of y'all asked for...but honestly, I don't need them. I feel great. Period. I have put on I don;t know how much muscle overall, been working out consistently for the first time in my life, bought a Bowflex (!), staying at 190 pounds...sex drive is through the roof...no ED issues at all (although at near 50 I just like having a little help...Chinese herbal supplement called "Super Hard" (I laughed when I first read it, too...not laughing now...it absolutely works)...and the sex is AWESOME. I am now lasting longer than I ever have BY FAR...making the wife work for it for the first time in our relationship.

Still getting compliments about the smell, too...

For me, Testim has been a life-changer. I'll be on it as long as I live.

Could you expand on the 'super hard'? Such as what you mean by lasted longer, by far? I'd love to extend my sex time, as I'm sure many other men would too !! HaHa

Cheers Mate !

Very simply, rock hard erections that do NOT go away. Honestly, I feel like a teenager, but totally in control of it...UNLIKE a teenager.

Back