New to the site just saying hello

Back into it

Just registered today and want to say I am glad to have found this site. Reading through a handful of these threads stopped me from making what was probably a big mistake. A little about myself;
Male
55yo
Over the last 8 months dropped from 240lbs down to present weight of 208
5'8"
BF%---STILL TOO DAMN HIGH

I got into the fitness game back in the early 80's while I was in the US Navy. Over a period of about 10 years I had competed in several contests (Laguna Beach Muscle Classic, Border States, and a few others around the country). I was registered in the AAU and remained natural never hitting anything more serious than what could be purchased at GNC. Anyway, I fell away from the gym and proper nutrition when I met the lady I would marry (I was 39 then), and since that time I would workout a little from time to time but wouldn't get too serious. Not sure what happened but one morning last February I woke up and saw myself for the first time in a long time and asked myself "How the hell did this happen". From that moment the serious started taking over. So I have been at it as determined as I was way back when. My first goal was to get the weight down so eating right and getting moving was the primary means. Started some resistance training but very light/short sessions. Once I got down about 20 pounds I started shifting to a 2 on 1 off training schedule and backed off on cardio. To my surprise things started coming back, quickly. Nowhere near where I was but enough to start thinking I ain't stopping. I want it all back and then some. Haven't felt this good in years!!! So I started thinking about supplementation. That brought me here. I have a great knowledge of what to do in the gym, but the supplement side of it I am clueless and it would seem there is a lot to learn here. Well I am glad to be here and am willing to learn. I just hope I am not returning to the game too late.

When you decide on supplements just ask questions. I'm sure you've realized from reading on this site that these guys are GREAT. I've been other places but these guys help more and offer more CONSTRUCTIVE criticism than I have seen elsewhere. Do your research and then when you get answers here research those answers as well. I have learned so much from reading on this site and listening to these guys counsel one another.
Good luck and good health

Welcome! Your journey is not much different from mine.

Spend some time reading thru the beginners stickies and check out some of the more experienced blogs. There are always multiple ways to skin this cat which can add some confusion but most important is to start slow, be safe and temper expectations. Growth takes time. Diet is king. Bloodwork is the only way to know what is going on.

Enjoy!

When you decide on supplements just ask questions. I'm sure you've realized from reading on this site that these guys are GREAT. I've been other places but these guys help more and offer more CONSTRUCTIVE criticism than I have seen elsewhere. Do your research and then when you get answers here research those answers as well. I have learned so much from reading on this site and listening to these guys counsel one another.
Good luck and good health

No doubt there is a lot of info is here and from what I have read so far many of the members are very experienced, knowledgeable and willing to give appropriate guidance and advice. Seem very willing to help out. As I stated in my intro I had already found info which stopped me from making a terrible mistake, so without even interacting these guys (and gals) have already helped. Sometimes we (meaning ME) think we (I) know it all, then we (I) come across a site like this and learn that maybe "I don't know what I don't know. Truly amazing what can be learned here. I am very glad to be aboard. Thanks for the response.

Thanks for the response Old Duffer. I have been bouncing around from the stickies to various threads and it is truly amazing what info can be found. Honestly I have hit a point of info overload in a respect. Only meaning that I need to write some of this stuff down for quick reference so I will not have to search for that tidbit of info "I know I read somewhere on the site". I have hit kind of a wall lately with progress and I honestly thought I may be getting into an over trained state. Came across an article By 3J's just offering up some workout advice and I gave it a try this morning. WHOA....... Best pump I have had in over a month. I will definitely be soaking up everything I can, and when the time comes I will be doing the proper blood work. Thanks again and I am glad to be here.

Welcome! I'ma kinda a newbie here too, so nice to see more of us around :D Like you I've just been devouring some of the info threads recently. So. Much. Cool stuff.

The info available here is scary. There are so many experienced and educated individuals here giving advice, tips, etc, I honestly thought I would have time to read and maybe interact on some of the threads. Just reading through the stickies......still and there is info, that leads to more info and then is linked to other stuff that is just amazing. As my intro said I started back up in February....actually March with the resistance training. Went through the initial post workout soreness and then just continued on. Sure I could burn my muscles to the core but I would never all of the sudden run back into that soreness. Well my friend I found some info on some different things to try so I gave it a shot. BAM....soreness, burn......I love it. I am hoping to eventually get to post but I keep getting immersed in info that I need to investigate further. Its crazy good. I started a sticky yesterday (from way back when probably 2011 or something like that) and now I have 4 tabs open on my browser because that's where it went. Wow. Great info from a lot of very smart and experienced guys and gals. Hoping to get through some more today. Thanks for the response Vickers

has your bf% dropped any yet? what are you doing to get those numbers down?

When I realized I was letting myself go to S#it back in Feb I would imagine my BF% was 30%+. I know my BMI was at 36. I didnt break out the tape or have calipers handy to try and figure out my BF% so lets just say shaped like a beach ball. Since I had started I have dropped 40lbs, but I know my Lean mass has gone up fairly significantly. Going through some of the old posts (One by 3J specifically) I found my numbers based on the guidance he gave (HOW TO). My BF% by circumference measurements (yes I know thats not the ideal way to do it) is now at 24% (which means +/-5%) Based on how I look I think I am more around 20 but that's subjective. I literally started by drastically reducing calories and ending the fast food cycle. My job has me on the road ALOT. I service Radiation Oncology centers in the midwest and have quite a large area to travel. So....by prepping some meals before day starts to have with me I was able to control what I put in----even if I wanted more which meant a heck of alot of water. I went down to 1500 cal/day. IU know that will not work for many as its hard and it can shut down the metabolism but thats what I did. I would start my workout at about 430am daily. In the beginning that entailed of nothing more than walking on a treadmill. As the weight started to go I started hitting the weights, while maintaining roughly 1800cal/day. As my intro said I was at 208 however when I started hitting the weights (FOR REAL) I was at 198.
NOW.....mind you I was not well informed at the time..... so without realizing it I kinda started my first cycle back in July when I started taking SDROL. Weight went up, BF% visibly went down, I stayed on it for 4 weeks. Now I am just hammering away at a 2 on 1 off schedule, dying to learn and see where I am going to go next.

Welcome! so whats your bf# down to now? you seem to be doing a good job on getting those numbers down good for you.

Thanks. I am currently sitting at or about 20%/ Maybe even going up a bit. One of the things I have done to get down was to remain low cal and low carb. But gaining a good (not great and still not where I was way back in the 90's) of muscle back I have started bringing in the carbs. I was keeping about 1500-1800 cal/day for the first 6-7 months with a macro split of 45/30/25 (P/C/F) but with a desire to start bringing some more beef on I went to about 2300-2700/day (based on how I felt) with a split of 35/40/25, Been doing this for about 3 weeks and I notice I am starting to put weight back on and it is not all muscle so I am planning on adjusting again. Although when I started i never took a before type picture but I am sure I can find one of how good I looked (NOT) back around the new year and I may be bold enough to through something recent up. We'll see. My wife thinks I am nuts but my goal is to get back on stage again. Hopefully in the next 3-4 years but who knows. 2 might be enough. At 55 she says its a mid life crisis, HAAAA! Its just a matter of knowing I am better than what I had let myself become.

Back