New to TRT and have questions

BigBen90

I'm a 27 year old male that is way overweight. I started always being tired when I was 18 and by the time I had reached 20 I had gone from 6 foot 2 225lbs with not much fat to 325lbs. I couldn't explain it I was just always tired and felt like crap. After many unsuccessful weight loss attempts (would lose 15 lbs and then be stuck for 4 months) I finally gave up. Took a job 62 miles from home and ate fast food. I got up to 382lbs. The whole time my doctor knew all my symptoms and 3 separate sleep apnea tests I figured it was time for a change. I went to a doctor, that honestly is weird and reminds me of a snake oil salesman, immediately thought low T. After my first test my T was 212 and he said that's probably what assisted my weight gain and difficulty losing. I'm now working out and eating healthy but my question is did anyone experience any benefits in the weight loss department? He's claiming that this will tremendously help me but he also prescribes phenternine and lipotropic injections so I'm not sure if I should take his word for it or not. So anybody have any luck or advice

First of all, you have Hypogonadism and need to treat it. There are serious co-morbidities that will likely cause death in the long-term.

I encourage your to read the Basic TRT Overview sticky thread found at the top of this forum. It tells some of my personal experience.

I have lost weight since going on TRT, but not until I fixed my diet. I stayed about the same -- a little better -- until I changed the way I eat. But you should treat your Hypogonadism for endless reasons other than just the fact that it will help you lose weight.

I was probably around 30+% body fat before starting TRT. I am at around 12.5% now based on a body pod scan. I would never have been able to do that without TRT.

I would not recommend Phentermine. TRT and a Ketogenic diet can can help you achieve your goals. Maybe an EC Stack once the weight loss slows down. But on just TRT and a Keto Diet, I lost 20 pounds in the first month.

I am assuming you are in the USA. It would be helpful to determine if you primary or secondary hypogonadism. It would also be helpful to fully screen your thyroid. It would also be helpful to test prolactin.

The best(cheapest) test for determining primary vs secondary is the Hormone panel for females + prolactin at privatemdlabs. subscribe to their newsletter to receive a coupon code. This test HAS to be a fasting 8am draw.

The best(cheapest) thyroid screen ive found is at ultalabs, register, get the newsletter for a coupon code. search reverse t3, and the panel that has TSH, Free T3, Free T4, Reverse T3, TPO, and TGAB will come up. This is the important part. In Range means jack shit. The ratios of the hormones and where they lie in the lab range is whats important. People come back all the time "in range" but are functionally very hypothyroid. Like me.

These tests should be around 100 bucks each. Because you have had one low T blood test, these should all be covered under insurance and you will be able to submit your own claim and get reimbursed for them. Get these labs ran ASAP and screenshot them and post them here.

*EDIT*

At this point be very careful of exercise and diet. If you turn out to be Hypothyroid, Hypogonadal, you may also have underperforming Adrenals. This will cause you to crash hard. And it sucks bad.

Last edited:
I had my thyroid tested. They were trying to figure out why with a ketogenic diet, or low carb for that matter as I stay under 40 carbs at most but most days under 20, my weight stays the same. Right now I can honestly say there's no way for me to work out. I had to stop last week as I was so tired that I almost fell asleep driving. And basically I'm not sure if I can afford the therapy without insurance. My insurance is requesting 3 low tests before they pay a dime

My thyroid tested fine. They checked it with my Test level. My insurance requires me to test low 3 times before they cover a dime of it. My second one came back at 237. According to my doctor there is 2 different tests and there range is between 250 and 900. He recommended me getting on TRT but if my test level tests at 251 this time my insurance won't cover it and I have to fail another 3 tests in a row to get covered. To be quite honest I'm not sure if I can afford it

Back