Pharmacy Fun!

halfwit

I like turtles.
Hey guys,

I just got a call from my pharmacy of choice (Costco) and was told that they can no longer honor my script for testosterone as my doctor submits a request for 10mL that lasts me around 3 months on my testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) protocol of 250mg/wk as manufacturers are now stating that testosterone is only good for 28 days in a vial, and they do not offer 1mL vials to prevent me from "wasting" the excess drug that would be left over. It's kind of ironic as I was hoping this would be my case as I had read someone else had been told this recently but thought that just meant I could get new vials every month. This is apparently not the case with Costco as they are worried the DEA will get all up in their ass about a controlled prescribed medication being given in excess.

So, I was told I can have my prescription transferred (duh) to another pharmacy that is able to distribute 1mL vials. Only one problem with this: 1mL vials are EXPENSIVE as HELL and I have the joy of having crap insurance that keeps record of my testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) drugs, but refuses to pay for them. I had this sent to CVS even though they are a pain in the ass, but with a nifty coupon I found would be only $40 for a 10mL vial assuming they're not douchebags on this issue as well. I'm hoping they just process the 10mL order without calling me and telling me that my total is going to be like $400 (no joke, that's the price difference: 10 fold!), which I simply am not going to pay for.

My question is this: Have many of you encountered this new "recommendation" by manufacturers (marketing tactic no doubt to TRIPLE sales) and found pharmacies that work with the patient, not screaming "foul!" and trying to switch over to the retardedly-expensive 1mL vials? I have accounts with the major pharmacies in my area such as Walmart/CVS/Walgreens, but haven't really ventured into others as I haven't had the need. I know the easy answer to this is to simply go with UGL stuff, but I do want to keep my testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) legit and legal as "Obamacare" is on the horizon and I really don't want any red flags popping up that can be avoided.

Thanks in advance! :)

Note: Yes, I totally know IMT would take amazing care of me, but I'm a poor student right now and have to go this route as I have a doctor that listens (mostly) to me and has been flexible with my testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) needs.

FWIW my T comes to me in 4ml vials provided by the clinic I use. That's right about 4 week supply at 200mg/ week. The vials are marked "Hallandale". Just saying that an intermediate size does exist, though I don't know how widely available.

I just got jammed up with those single dose vials! It cut my script an extrs 3 CC's short too ontop of already my being neighbor for proper weekly dosing. I wasn't happy since I was expecting double the test not less! I was taking to compounding pharmacies at the same time I was reading others have issues. I was looking for cheapest route and they all did 5 or 10
CC vials. Bad news I didn't find anyone as cheap as Costoc.
Osco price matches though ;) I was expecting to pay the $45 and they even got it coverd through insurance which was a first for me. (Right after I read about two posts and new laws so don't know if it was a fluke or not) I've ben dealing with trying to get things cheapier for a bit and more of it insured since cash flow is tight and medical keeps racking up thanks to some BS!

This hasn't happened to me yet. I use a small local pharmacy. Perhaps you could find one like that. I like that they are never busy and this is the first time in my life that I have actually gotten to know my pharmacist. It could just be a matter of time though until it happens to me too.

FWIW my T comes to me in 4ml vials provided by the clinic I use. That's right about 4 week supply at 200mg/ week. The vials are marked "Hallandale". Just saying that an intermediate size does exist, though I don't know how widely available.
Interesting, is that from a compounding pharmacy by chance? I've never seen 4mL vials before, so it makes me wonder if that's a "specialty" item.
I just got jammed up with those single dose vials! It cut my script an extrs 3 CC's short too ontop of already my being neighbor for proper weekly dosing. I wasn't happy since I was expecting double the test not less! I was taking to compounding pharmacies at the same time I was reading others have issues. I was looking for cheapest route and they all did 5 or 10
CC vials. Bad news I didn't find anyone as cheap as Costoc.
Osco price matches though ;) I was expecting to pay the $45 and they even got it coverd through insurance which was a first for me. (Right after I read about two posts and new laws so don't know if it was a fluke or not) I've ben dealing with trying to get things cheapier for a bit and more of it insured since cash flow is tight and medical keeps racking up thanks to some BS!
Hmm, I'll definitely take a look at Osco. I remember them when I lived in CO, but haven't seen any here in the Southwest. But I'm sure they do internet fills too. If they could get the behemoth known as Aetna to pay for my test, I'd be a customer for life (or until I can get rid of this garbage insurance. ;) ).
This hasn't happened to me yet. I use a small local pharmacy. Perhaps you could find one like that. I like that they are never busy and this is the first time in my life that I have actually gotten to know my pharmacist. It could just be a matter of time though until it happens to me too.

Sad thing is, I know the pharmacist pretty well at the Walmart where I live as I see him for diabetes and other stuff. Unfortunately Walmart is also the most expensive when it comes to test, as a 1mL vial is 47 bucks and a 10mL is like 250 dollars! Is your local pharmacy a compounding or normal one?

Thanks for the replies guys!

I think it is just a normal pharmacy. They used to give me test cyp from a compounding pharmacy but now they are giving me Watson. I pay something like about $65 for a 10ml vial. I have a HSA so I pay the expenses until I hit my deductible.

I think it is just a normal pharmacy. They used to give me test cyp from a compounding pharmacy but now they are giving me Watson. I pay something like about $65 for a 10ml vial. I have a HSA so I pay the expenses until I hit my deductible.

Interesting, yeah - Watson would be from a "standard" pharmacy. I guess I have some homework to do... :p Thanks man!

Interesting, is that from a compounding pharmacy by chance? I've never seen 4mL vials before, so it makes me wonder if that's a "specialty" item.

Just checked, and yes it is a compounding pharmacy out of FL. HallandaleRX.com . Just checked out their website and saw that the offer Test Cyp plain, but also with zinc gluconate and/or progesterone. Might ask my doc about that next time since I'm taking progesterone separately on his orders and including it in the injection would be one less thing to pass through my liver.

Just checked, and yes it is a compounding pharmacy out of FL. HallandaleRX.com . Just checked out their website and saw that the offer Test Cyp plain, but also with zinc gluconate and/or progesterone. Might ask my doc about that next time since I'm taking progesterone separately on his orders and including it in the injection would be one less thing to pass through my liver.
Progesterone? I thought men didn't need that hormone at ALL. Do you mean pregnenolone by chance, or am I missing something here?

Progesterone? I thought men didn't need that hormone at ALL. Do you mean pregnenolone by chance, or am I missing something here?

Progesterone. Appears pretty common adjunct from my searching to somehow offsetting estradiol. My doc added it to the mix at the same time he upped my Aromatase inhibitor (AI) because my E2 was a bit high.

Back