Protein, How much is Neccessary??

Dante44

youll never drink alone.
Ive heard arguments for having as much as 2 grams of protein/per pound of bodyweight to as little as .85 grams per kilo of lean muscle mass. So really, what is the right amount of protein needed for the average joe trying to gain some muscle mass?

there is no such thing bc not everyones body processes protein the same its really hard to say...all depends on the person

what i have read/heard from PTs and other people who went to school for sports/health education is should be 1-2 g/pound which would be 2.2-4.4 g/kg

but like i said it all depends on the person

Last edited:
I try to consume around 1 1/2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. Seems to work well for me. You may need more or less, depending upon your individual body chemistry.

HeHateMe said:
I try to consume around 1 1/2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. Seems to work well for me. You may need more or less, depending upon your individual body chemistry.

when you say it works well for you, how so? What do you notice?

I don't even calculate how many grams of protein I take in every day. What I do pay attention to is if I've taken in any protein lately. I try and get some decent quality protein in every few hours. I probably focus on it a little harder before bed and when I wake up.

i'd say 1-1.5 per pound of bodyweight. i try to get at least one gram. a friend of mine claims those oncycle can consume 2-2.5 grams/pound of weight i dont know if this is true or not.

I was told recently from a natural bodybuilder that your target should be 1.14 grams per pound of bodyweight. Personally I don't calculate either and I am getting the same results as when I was consuming 2 grams per pound. It really just depends on the person and you have to do some experimenting.

Back